Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the front page of the site, there is an announcement of a new agreement signed by Rally America. What happened to the old group signed for the same task last year? There was an announcement and then nothing. I don't suggest that I know diddley about marketing, but when last years champion can not secure the funding to compete in the series this year, I would suggest that there was limited success in achieving success.

http://www.specialstage.com/view.asp?StoryID=446

·
Straight At "T"
297 Posts
First there was M360, then there was Greer, now there is Wasserman Media Group. Finding the right fit for the sport hasn't been an easy task, and the fact that I'm a computer Geek and not a marketing genius hasn't made it any easier. However with each step, we have made progress in the right direction. We've learned a lot, and we think we have the right fit with WMG. Time will tell...

Cheers,
-Doug

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
>PS: Maybe WMG can help promote the 2WD teams more, like we are
>discussing in this other thread:

Before playing favorites on our behalf they should promote the sport in general. Yes, more attention is paid to the turbo AWD cars, but that's only because they ARE more exciting to the target audience. That will not change until the target audience changes their preferences. Business is business.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Yes, more attention is paid to the turbo
>AWD cars, but that's only because they ARE more exciting to
>the target audience.

Guess you've never seen Nichols, Sprongl in the Suzuki or A. Havas. Their sideways factor makes 2wd more exciting than most AWD.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, Doug. It is refreshing to see the person signing the cheques being so open and accessable. Good luck with the latest group.

Now if Pat R can get some funding to show the Subaru team how it is done!!;-)

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
>>Yes, more attention is paid to the turbo
>>AWD cars, but that's only because they ARE more exciting to
>>the target audience.
>
>Guess you've never seen Nichols, Sprongl in the Suzuki or A.
>Havas. Their sideways factor makes 2wd more exciting than most
>AWD.

Dave - I know that, but I'm not the target audience!

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Dave - I know that, but I'm not the target audience!

So who is deciding what the target audience should be? Isn't it silly to say the target audience is the Subaru club when the Subaru club is already hooked on rally anyway? Whomever is choosing to promote so much Subaru without Subaru even being the title sponsor, is putting all their eggs in one basket.

Take the recent 'Dukes of Hazzard' movie. The writers had the opportunity to use AWD turbo rallycars in their Hazzard County Rally but choose to use American sedans that the public can better relate to. That was a hoot and chock full of sideways-as-can-be action. I hope some future teams build V8s to race Utecht and JC's trucks with enough entries to justify a V8 RWD class in the future.

·
Registered
148 Posts
>Take the recent 'Dukes of Hazzard' movie. The writers had the
>opportunity to use AWD turbo rallycars in their Hazzard County
>Rally but choose to use American sedans that the public can
>better relate to. That was a hoot and chock full of sideways
>as can be action. I hope some future teams build V8s to race
>Utecht and JC's trucks and are posting here trying to create a
>V8 RWD class in the future.

That's a bit of a stretch, the movie was based on the TV show and used a Retro theme. Yes they could have used newer cars, but since they kept the 69 charger, it wouldn't have been plausible that it was beating all the STI's and Evo's now would it.

The 69 charger was retro just like all the other cars it raced against in the rally

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>That's a bit of a stretch, ....

My point is drop marketing just Subaru. We already have that market.

If the new marketing firm already promotes hardcore adventure sports: lean on energy drinks, mountain bike manufacturers, action wear,....

How about a 'Do the Dew' rally commercial?

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
I am hoping that I (or others) get the opportunity to display non-Subaru cars(truck in our case) at the Mall of America type gig this year. That was a nice opportunity for sponsor exposure for us that led directly to funding to run Ojibwe.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RA press releases

Nit-picking but maybe they can proof-read RA press releases.

This statement in the SnoDrift release was not accurate:

"“It’s pretty exciting. It’s been a long time coming and it’s a real thrill for us, being a privateer team, to take the win,” said Comrie-Picard. It was the first-ever top finish for the Canadian and his Mitsubishi Evo IV in the U.S."

The car finished 1st OA at 2001 Wild West and 2001 Cherokee Trails ProRallies.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Good luck Doug/JB with the new marketing group. I know they handle some of the AMA Supercross/Motocross riders, too.

Look into the debacle over rights to Supercross that occurred with Clear Channel a while ago...cautionary tale. Google "Clear Channel" and "supercross" together.

Dave, I assumed that Subaru WAS a series sponsor already. Its the only reason I could imagine that would enable them to get their logo on the series site. I HOPE this is true! If so, a hearty thanks to Subaru.

I know JB is working on other series hopefuls, too, but he is smarter than the average bear (SCCA) and won't announce a peep until something is signed.

Back to Subaru...regardless of whether they are a series sponsor or not, Rally America officials should not show up at events wearing Subaru swag (even lanyards). Thousands of Superbowl volunteers were around Detroit a couple weeks ago. No black and yellow. No green and blue. No Steelers or Seahawks apparel. Just red, white and blue Superbowl XL jackets.

If Steve Johnson showed up at a World Challenge race in a Cadillac shirt, he'd get lynched.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Personalities and human factor

Perhaps the perseverance to overcome all the challenges a rally presents, the chain of comedy of errors and our own stupidity, the technical know-how and McGivor-ness we posess, in-car teamwork like no other motorsport (expect sidecar motorcycles (its not too late Lurch)), and the don't forget the drama make rallying more appealling to viewers and outsiders than any of the cars and is what we need to sell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts