Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, my name is Jake and I live Olympia Washington. Been a huge fan of rally for as long as I can remember, always wanted to be apart of the community and hopefully someday compete. I told myself that 2022 would be the year I get involved in the rally community, so here i am. We recently had our 2nd daughter and are getting into the swing of parenthood, i also have received a promotion so I'm slowly starting to save money (not just spend it on these kids lol). Knowing that this sport is expensive and it will take some time to save up for my first stage car. I decided to try and join the community now so I can hit the ground running (or would it be driving?) when I finally purchase a car. I just volunteered for the Oregon Trail this May so I'm hoping I can start networking and meeting some of you guys. That being said, any help/advice you could give me when starting this journey would be greatly appreciated. Hope to meet you all and see you guys out at some of the events, cheers!

·
Rally, my drug of choice.
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
964 Posts
Perfect timing!!! Olympus Rally is next month in your backyard!!!

I know they will always welcome new volunteers to help get the event going!!

I will say unfortunately the forum scene isn't what it use to be, but there are some loyal people that stick around to see what's going on. Sadly FB is the place to get most the information. If you're not a FB person (you're better if your not), they do keep their website up to date with all the information you may need!!

Hope to see you out there!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I have a trade show I have to do for work over the weekend of Olympus.. which sucks but it comes with the promotion I guess. I use to be a familiar face on Nasioc but because of social media no one really goes on forums anymore, unless your loyal like you said lol. I actually deleted all my social media a few years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made! I'm hoping to volunteer at maybe the Mike Nagle rally or even just the Maryhill hillclimb this year too

·
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
964 Posts
Awesome, an old Nasioc-er!!!! I was on there, USMB, and legacy central quite a bit back in the day. I was really into forums pre FB. Social media more or less killed the forums, but are incapable of actually replacing them.

Oregon trail is a great event to work. I love the night at PIR!!!

I'm happy to help you in what ever way I can to get your foot in the door. We all take our own path into this sport, and as long as you don't get to overwhelmed it's still very obtainable to get into. Yes it does cost more than it did 10 years ago. But in general the rules aren't all that crazy different, you do need some more safety equipment, but it's not a bad thing in my opinion. I will always say buy your first car, even if it's just something to do a couple events in. You will get out there and get an idea of what you want or don't want. In my case I thought I was going to be subaru all the way, ran the first year in my first gen legacy, then tried a rear wheel drive rig, and I'll never go back. I'm just saying, your first car will probably not be your last, so don't spend all the money on your first one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, an old Nasioc-er!!!! I was on there, USMB, and legacy central quite a bit back in the day. I was really into forums pre FB. Social media more or less killed the forums, but are incapable of actually replacing them.

Oregon trail is a great event to work. I love the night at PIR!!!

I'm happy to help you in what ever way I can to get your foot in the door. We all take our own path into this sport, and as long as you don't get to overwhelmed it's still very obtainable to get into. Yes it does cost more than it did 10 years ago. But in general the rules aren't all that crazy different, you do need some more safety equipment, but it's not a bad thing in my opinion. I will always say buy your first car, even if it's just something to do a couple events in. You will get out there and get an idea of what you want or don't want. In my case I thought I was going to be subaru all the way, ran the first year in my first gen legacy, then tried a rear wheel drive rig, and I'll never go back. I'm just saying, your first car will probably not be your last, so don't spend all the money on your first one.
Hell yea man, I appreciate the response and the tips. Definitely going to buy a pre built car, I don't have time for a project right now and I'd hate to put all my time and effort into something I'll probably put in the ditch haha. Let me know if your going or competing in Oregon Trail so we9 can meet up or something. Or if your ever in my neck of the woods we could grab beer so I can pick your brain a little. Is there anything you recommend I have/bring with me as a volunteer? I'm assuming pack a good lunch, but is there anything else that I should consider? Thanks again!

·
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
964 Posts
I do have plans on running OTR, still need to sort out all sorts of things before then, but it's on my calendar.

When you pack for a volunteer, pack for all weathers. I've been out on one weekend where it was sunny, rainy, and snowing. There is almost no planning for any of it not unless you plan for it all. Good snacks, water, things to keep you busy when you aren't working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts