Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a rumor that this car was bought legally from Japan and shipped. Has Tag and the owner works at a Mitsu-dealership. The rumor continues that the car is the second one in the nation legally or something. Now, I know there are many 4s,5s,and6s Rallying, and these cars have to be tagged and insured, so the second non-greymarket or what? The guys tag says "V11" but this sure looks like an eight-I'm probably wrong. Sorry the shot couldn't be tighter. I am just curious what the deal is with this thing. I'm gonna try to talk to the owner this weekend. He drag/street races it.!? Gonna try to get him out to our little Rallycross this weekend and see if he can beat our WRX pilots }> }> }>

John Barnett
Twickenham Auto Club
http://www.treesandturtles.com/

http://www.treesandturtles.com/interesting/EVO-8.jpg

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That looks like a 7 to me, it is badged a seven. And there are quite a few in the US already (legally?). Besides, I think they are only changing the front of the car so this picture won't confirm anything.
You might want to find out for sure, before posting it as a headline of fact on your website.

"Mitsubishi Evolution VIII comes to Huntsville, AL - December 5, 2002
If you noticed the picture above, you'll notice that this is the new Mitsubishi Evolution VIII and it's wearing an Alabama tag"

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, will get the WM to change that, he jumped the gun on that..... Somebody told me there is a co. named Evolution Motorsports that can get them as of recently. Interesting. Is the 8 on the way? Rally aside, I'd love to have a 7 as a daily driver. The blue looks nice. Hope everyone enjoys the pic anyway....

·
Registered
590 Posts
They have an advertisement in The DuPont Registry.

Bring about $45k if you want a legal VII (according to them)

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Registered
250 Posts
>They have an advertisement in The DuPont Registry.
>
>Bring about $45k if you want a legal VII (according to them)
>

I think NO, I will wait for the VIII and save 15K to spend on insurance and tires. }>

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An VIII will sell for 30k? nice. I Don't think that that will be 0down,0interest,0payments for a year though haha. Driving an EVO free for a year would be too much temptation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
To catch the real scoop, stay tuned here: [link:socal.sae.org|SAE Southern CA]. SAE (yes, the one on that bottle of oil you are holding) is trying to set up an event on the EVO VIII through Mitsubishi R&D. I don't want to let the cat out the bag too much, but we are planning to have the event in February '03 timeframe. Nothing's set in stone yet, but check back around mid-January to see if the event details have been finalized.....

And I know absolutely nothing about the rumor that the American Mitsubishi guys planted a Pontiac badge on a hot weather test mule - and I certainly would know nothing about the Japenese engineers not being amused by that stunt. But I'm sure you could ask about it if the event goes through :p :p :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
It would seem that Evolution Imports HAS successfully completed the federalization process witness several owners of Evo VII's now driving in various parts of the country. For more info on this try www.lancerforums.com go to forums then general and then onto recent posts. While there are quite a few childish/adolescent posts on the website, there is a fair bit of info to be gleaned from the website for those interested in the cars and interested enough to look. I have followed the progress of the importation and subsequent EPA and DOT approval process as it is another choice for competition rather than the very grey importation of previous EVO's. They had started the process well before Mitsubishi even came close to announcing selling then here. I think it is GREAT someone has finally taken the initiave, time and $ to do something about the lack of legal Evo's here. Just my .02 $

Patty Smith

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can't imagine people lining up to buy them with the US model being here shortly and selling for <$30k while they try to get a 50% premium for a 'used' car.

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
(edit: fixed link)

Find more about the Evo here:
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/evo/index.jsp

Just don't enter to try and win one. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has entered -- and I will be the winner. I'll be sure to give you all a ride when it arrives at my door ;)

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
229 Posts
HOW do you enter? The button doesn't work.. haha. I've tried everything I can think of, and I still can't get it to enter me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a Mitsu Tech here in SW Washington and just attended a "Technical Training Seminar" on the EVO VIII this morning.
While there was little concrete info, this is what I was told.
Expect the car to arrive at dealers in late Feb. The first year only 5000 will be produced.
MSRP is slated to be just a hair under 30K, but don't expect to be able to purchase one for that, most dealers will tack on an add'l 15K, and add another 2500 for the "optional" PitPass (TM) which is a sort of service contract that covers routine maintanence (including the synthetic oil changes).
Horsepower is claimed to be 271, torque 273.
Aluminum front fenders and hood, One vent in center of hood instead of 2, Brembo brakes front and rear, ABS, Enkie wheels and super sticky street rubber (10K life expectancy),Race? seats with slots for 5 point harnesses and clear altezza style taillights. It will also have a water spray system for the intercooler.
75% will come with sunroofs. Short and Tall spoilers will be available.
As far as appearance goes, the pics I saw looked like a VII except for that nose thing in the center of the grille like the most recent Galant and the lower bumper cover opening that looks to me as if it's frowning (like a 93 - 96 Mirage or a 95 -96 Eclipse).
Frankly, I'm disappointed by the whole thing, not the car itself, but the lousy way they are marketing it. Subaru has already taken the wind out of Mitsu's sail by bringing out the WRX and making it affordable and available, and now I hear an STI version is on it's way.
Mitsu needs to jump in the pool instead of always dipping in one toe.
Turbodad

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sounds like dealers are in a huge hurry to kill the market for the car right off the boat.

For $30k, I was considering it. For $45k, they can stick it.

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Registered
36 Posts
>MSRP is slated to be just a hair under 30K, but don't expect
>to be able to purchase one for that, most dealers will tack
>on an add'l 15K, and add another 2500 for the "optional"
>PitPass (TM) which is a sort of service contract that covers
>routine maintanence (including the synthetic oil changes).

How stupid!

The Subaru dealers tried this too and failed. Sure, a bunch of people went out and bought WRX's when they first arrived and paid the extra $5K above MSRP. By the end od summer the local dealer at 10 WRX's on their lot that are still there today.

Mit dealers will only be shooting themselves in the foot if they try to sell the cars for $15K over msrp. With the way the ecomony is today who are they kidding.

Last note...you are right, terrible marketing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts