Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the first turbocharged car to compete on a US rally? Who drove it?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

PS with thanks to Eric Anderson who lent me a bunch of copies of Rallye magazine which I have consumed like so much 110 race fuel through my Evo.

·
Registered
789 Posts
>
>What was the first turbocharged car to compete on a US
>rally?

A Turbo Saab? Probably some old Turbo Corvair beat it to the claim for TSD rallying.

No idea who may have driven it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guy Light with a SAAB 99 and a homebrew turbo and carburetor setup. I can't remember if the carb was pressurized or in front of the turbo.

I've no idea if this was the first turbo car; I only know about Guy's car from other SAAB rally geeks...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy Light anD homebuilt Saab 99 is correct. I've been trying to determine when it's first event was and it may have been late 1975. Possibly early 1976. He was quasi-supported by Saab USA at the time. At the time people wrote that it was the first turbo car that they knew of competing in US stage rallying - heck - that might be one of the first instances of a turbo in rallying at all!

So, next question to T Bier!

ACP
Flirting with the laws of forced induction.

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Welp, Mr. Light was in a Saab 99 in '75 according to RallyRacingNews.

[link:www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/rally/eldiablo75.html|El Diablo '75 results]

Maybe a poor navie can help?

·
Registered
118 Posts
>
>What was the first turbocharged car to compete on a US
>rally? Who drove it?
>
>ACP
>Flirting with the laws of physics.
>
>PS with thanks to Eric Anderson who lent me a bunch of
>copies of Rallye magazine which I have consumed like so much
>110 race fuel through my Evo.

I figured that would keep you out of trouble...

The question is whether Gary Eaton's Corvair was turbocharged, which I surely do not remember. Maybe someone else does.

Here's a pix of Eaton...

http://www.rallyalmanac.com/item.asp?recordid=eaton2&pagestyle=default

Light's turbo most likely would have been '75 Sno*Drift. I have pix from the '75 Marathon and will see I can find Guy on there.

One of the best pictures I ever took was Guy at speed at night in 1974 Sno*Drift.

http://www.rallyalmanac.com/item.asp?recordid=light&pagestyle=default

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OUT of trouble, Eric? Who's side are you on?

Light's Turbo seems to have signature Mickey Mouse ear aux lights on the outer edges of the hood. May not have been the case for all events, of course.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Well, not THIS navie. That was before my time with Guy. Notice me way down in 16th.

Also, somewhere in that vintage, Steve Nowicki built a turbo 510.

press on,

>Welp, Mr. Light was in a Saab 99 in '75 according to
>RallyRacingNews.
>
>[link:www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/rally/eldiablo75.html|El
>Diablo '75 results]
>
>Maybe a poor navie can help?

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>Also, somewhere in that vintage, Steve Nowicki built a turbo
>510.
>
>
There were a number of home brew turbo cars in those early years. Most were a year or two after Guy's SAAB.

Bob Hourihan played with a turbocharged Volvo (I think) engine in a Colt body. It never ran right because the boost would pressurize the carb and prevent fuel flow (my interpretation - not necessarily fact). It ran alright at idle - but on boost it did not.

Don Jankowski turbocharged a Colt (this would have been '77 I think). I recall the first stage it ran. The boost came on and he powered over a yump, did a nose dive then bounced off the road into a tree.

I recall asking Guy Light about the water bottle he had in his car ('75 or '76). He probably thought he had me fooled when he said it was in case he got thirsty. Most likely he was not aware that the teenage kid whose leg he was trying to pull knew a bit about charge cooling by water injection. I still remember the look of astonishment on his face when I called his bluff.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts