Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made the decision to make the move from autocross to rally instead of road racing. I'm starting the build up of a Neon ACR for group 2 club rally, and need some help with the suspension, mostly spring rates and swaybars. I'm guessing that it would be similar to a road race set up, but softer. I would like to start racing by next season, After this autocross season. Please help out a new guy.

Tim

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just started the "buildup" of my 98 sport into a Group 2 rally car. I'm a long ways off since the car is still a daily driver but have done some research on what has worked on other Neons.

I talked with Evan at Moriss Dampers about suspension setups. He suggested spring rates of ~220F and 180R with his coilovers. This is what I ordered with my Moriss coilover setup but I anticipate purchasing another set of springs that are marginally stiffer just in case.

He suggested running the 20mm front swaybar (stock on the 97-99 sports and highlines) and running the small rear bar. I'm a little skeptical about the rear bar but I'm going to try it both ways when we test it.

What struts do you plan on using? I hope you aren't planning on running the Konis....

·
Registered
946 Posts
>I talked with Evan at Moriss Dampers about suspension
>setups. He suggested spring rates of ~220F and 180R with his
>coilovers. This is what I ordered with my Moriss coilover
>setup but I anticipate purchasing another set of springs
>that are marginally stiffer just in case.
220 sounds too light for the front. 2/3 of the weight of the car is over the front wheels. I did 300 in the front. 180 for back is what I always ran. The idea is on the really tight stuff, I intentionally got one of the rear wheels to lift, the remaining one would lock and it would turn on a dime. Having fought suspension the entire time I owned the Neon (suspension rules different now, thank you PRB), I would get the stuff from Evan or call DMS. Either way should make for good reliable suspension.

>He suggested running the 20mm front swaybar (stock on the
>97-99 sports and highlines) and running the small rear bar.
>I'm a little skeptical about the rear bar but I'm going to
>try it both ways when we test it.
This should work.

>What struts do you plan on using? I hope you aren't
>planning on running the Konis....
I'll second that on the Konis... They would make it 18-20 stage miles on a rough rally before the adjustment pops off making the strut useless. They might make it to the end of a smooth STPR but thats about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn't plan on using the koni's, I also looked at the Morris coil overs. I would think that a bigger rear bar would help the car rotate, but I really dont know jack about rally except that I am going to do it. I would be running (probably) in the California Rally Series, and believe the surface to be pretty hard packed. Would that make a difference in spring rate? The Neon probably isn't the best choice for a rally car, only having 3 1/2 in. of bump travel, but that's all I've raced for the past 4 years. Stick with what you know! Thanks for the help!!

Tim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Tim
I run a 1995 Neon ACR.
I have a set of the DMS suspension, Jamie refered to.
I purchased te set a year ago. And have been working with DMS to get them tuned correctly. You are right on the travel issue. It is a major problem to overcome. I just got the set back from Australia yesterday. Where they redid the valving and adjusted the travel leingth. I did a lot of research before choosing the DMS and found that they were the best deal out there. You are not going to break these struts. Nor are you going to work them hard enough where they will heat up or change in any way noticable. I ran last year with them and am very happy with the performance. I will highly reccommend them. Don't wast your time with anything else, they will just break.
And cost you more money in the long run.
Give Dave Clark a call...
Or contact me if you need more info

Brian
http://www.glhracing.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts