400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>I was wandering if someone can give me a idea or a sample of
>a
>proposal latter for a sponcoreship? My e mail is
>[email protected]:) thank you.
First suggestion is to check for spelling:
RE: Need help with proposal latter for sponsoreship. OR
RE: Need help with proposal letter for sponsorship.

Might also suggest you tell the truth as to their chances of somebody actually seeing your car. Press releases full of bluster and half truths and carefully omitted details like "9th in WRC debut" failing to mention any other detail like that was in GpN, 42nd or what ever overall is ultimately bad form.
So avoid spin, avoid BS.
Don't make things bad for the rest of us, people know what BS is.

And ask for a lot more than you think and back it up with viewership figures, ask Derek Bottles what the standard rate per view is.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>I was wandering if someone can give me a idea or a sample of
>a
>proposal latter for a sponcoreship? My e mail is
>[email protected]:) thank you.

Kazik:

A serious piece of advice, and definitely not a put down - I suggest that you get someone to help you with your english spelling and grammar. It will be most beneficial not only in your sponsorship search, but will serve you well in other pursuits.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
John, if you read past the brief headline, you'd see Pat's release had an accurate description in the opening paragraph:

Hagfors, Sweden, February 9, 2003 ? Pat Richard?s weekend debut in the FIA?s World Rally Championship ? the first Canadian driver to compete at that level ? produced a respectable ninth-place finish in the Group N Production Car division at the Rally of Sweden and brought accolades from his co-driver, Mikael Johansson.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Glenn, I did read it in completely, Pat has me on his mailing list, the point I was attempting to gently suggest is that even headlines alone must be accurate, especially if we think people will read the entire thing. Few things destory trust and credibility than to read something stating in a unabashed way one thing only to find when reading the details that the WHOLE story is a completely different thing.
I wish folks well in their search for sponsorship assistance but I have seen stacks of shameless inflated BS written as "Press Releases" which in the end can hurt the sport in general if businesses and agencies come to think what they being told is 75% hype and BS.

Would the headline "Vanlandingham Wins Maine Pro Rally" been acceptable in July '95?

I think not. Not for me, anyway.

Headlines must stand up alone.

John, if you read past the brief headline, you'd see Pat's
>release had an accurate description in the opening
>paragraph:
>
>Hagfors, Sweden, February 9, 2003 ? Pat Richard?s weekend
>debut in the FIA?s World Rally Championship ? the first
>Canadian driver to compete at that level ? produced a
>respectable ninth-place finish in the Group N Production Car
>division at the Rally of Sweden and brought accolades from
>his co-driver, Mikael Johansson.

And Kazik,
Don't think for a moment that I was making fun of incorrect spellings, I personally don't give a hoot in THIS FORUM because this is supposed to be like ordinary conversation (even if there is appallingly hypocritical enforcement of sunday school like speech standards.)
I really meant that you must really watch out for anything, ANYTHING slightly wrong in a business context. Many many Americans are very critical of slight errors which is a bit amusing considering their tendancy to be, on average, poorly spoken and poorly read and mono-lingual. When I was racing all around Europe, I always got help on my written proposals in German and French, even if I spoke them no problem on race day or in the bars or when chasing girls. Oddly enough, my really, really good Swedish spelling and vocabulary when writing didn't help down on the continent.
Good Luck

John "Stary Biku" Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
415 Posts
Since everyone else is giving you a hard time about trivial things like spelling, and being creative about your press releases, I thought I would throw in something CONSTRUCTIVE for everyone.

There are a number of resources that you can utilitize. Best place to start is at your local Barnes and Nobel store. There are litterly hundreds of books on Sports Marketing, and Sponsorship Purposals.

A good title to look for is, Motorsports Marketing, by Thompson.

Other resources to consider is a sponsorship service. The IEG is a company that produces Sponsorship literature and books on how to find, secure, and retain sponsorships. Plus they have an online service for people with sponsorship money, and people lookign for sponsors. A Sponsors Monster.com type of arrangement. But this is an expensive service, and your ROI (return on investment) with them will be difficult to retain.

Other then that, you can consider paying for a sponsorship consultant/sales team that will try and sell you to a possible marketing partner. This is very expensive and is not garunteed to work out for you. Expect to spend at a minimum of $10,000 up front, and then an additional 25% of any sponsorship money to be given to this sales person.

Best thing in my opinion, is to go to a local community college, take a few classes in marketing, and then decide for yourself what to do...

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com

·
Registered
296 Posts
Kazik,

Don't worry..but take advanvce on spelling. On this forum I feel free to use my "engrish" the way how I know but...when aproaching sponsors I am consulting all letters with my "english" helpers.
Thumb up for being brave to come with this issue on this forum. Most lurkers on this forum could contribute more to this sport but affraid to do so. Don't worry about this old man from Seatle area..too many beers in his live and some connection in his brain got wear down.

Good Luck,

Jerry

·
Registered
113 Posts
"Hagfors, Sweden, February 9, 2003 ? Pat Richard?s weekend debut in the FIA?s World Rally Championship ? the first Canadian driver to compete at that level ? produced a respectable ninth-place finish in the Group N Production Car division at the Rally of Sweden and brought accolades from his co-driver, Mikael Johansson"

The first Canadian to compete at this level???? Had a Canuck in NZ for a WRC event in the late 80's/early 90's!!!!!! Can't quite remember his name. Have to agree with JV for once. The facts DO get stretched or distorted.

Don

·
Registered
124 Posts
A couple of tidbits...

Many libraries have "local business directories" in the phone book section. These list businesses based on location and type of business. They tell you (assuming that the directory is current), how big the company is, their annual sales, name of top management, etc.

This is not useful for how to write a letter, but it can be handy for creating the list of who to send to. Local companies may not have big bucks for you, but you might be amazed at the parts you can get. Getting nice switches and relays across the dash may not be from a check, it could be from some small firm's prototype parts bin (samples that they decided not to use, or can't use for regulatory reasons).

In regards to spelling, many Americans do feel that it is an important part of being professional. People are pointing it out in an effort to help, and many will likely make help available. My spelling is not that great (I miss the old spellcheck) and I misspelled two words in this so far (that I have caught). I keep www.onelook.com up fairly often to check spelling (I can usually recognise a misspelled word, even if I don't see exactly what is wrong). If you want spell checking, just ask. I know I would be willing to proofread a letter and many other people would, too. You will likely get content suggestions, some you will listen to and some you won't.

But again, if you want a proofreader, email me your letter when you are done. If I get a thousand letters, I will eventually retract the offer, but I doubt I will. A lot of people on this board are critical. However, critical and willing to help makes a great combination when you are trying to work the bugs out of something.

Matthew

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>The first Canadian to compete at this level???? Had a Canuck
>in NZ for a WRC event in the late 80's/early 90's!!!!!!
>Can't quite remember his name. Have to agree with JV for
>once. The facts DO get stretched or distorted.

Don:

Yes, this press release does have a fair amount of creativity to it, just like the press release about Milner after the Sno*Drift last month. However, I find myself starting to become immune to these types of releases.

Pat is certainly the first Canadian to tackle such a comprehensive WRC program and I wish him the best of luck.

For what it's worth, Jean-Paul Perusse drove a works SAAB on the 1976 RAC Rally. He also came third overall last weekend on the first event of the 2003 Canadian Rally Championship, the Rallye Perce Neige, at age 59!

Doug Woods

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
A critical American responds ...

It's time for one "poorly spoken and (sic) poorly read and mono-lingual (sic)" American - whose mother happens to live south of the Red River where we all know that "folks in the Lone Star state ... are clearly well below average in intelligence" - to risk the inevitable vitriol, name-calling & epithets, offer a rebuttal and share a few facts.

>Glenn, I did read it in completely,

Proofreading, editing and spell checking are important to the writing process no matter where submissions are meant to appear. Writing unworthy of even a cursory scan for obvious spelling and grammatical errors is not worth reading so far as I am concerned. Why share poor spelling and/or grammar in this forum or a press release when most mistakes are so easily fixed?

Case in point - What does "I did read it in completely" mean? Incompletely? What an interesting strategy, share what might be the whole truth while allowing oneself the future deflection of claiming it was a typo. And before you give me grief about involving myself with a discussion you are having with someone else let me suggest you send private mail when you'd rather not open yourself to public comment.

>the point I was attempting to gently suggest
>is that even headlines alone must be accurate, especially if
>we think people will read the entire thing.

A writer's task in any published endeavor is to offer something enticing enough, early enough in the read, to keep the audience engaged and, hopefully, finish the piece so the entire story may be shared. In press releases and daily periodicals a headline needs to attract enough attention to differentiate it from all the other releases and articles, respectively, without resorting to outright misrepresentation.

>Few things
>destory trust and credibility than to read something stating
>in a unabashed way one thing only to find when reading the
>details that the WHOLE story is a completely different
>thing.

I agree that a headline should not contradict the story, but a headline is, after all, nothing more than a teaser - meant only to draw the reader into investing their time to read the accompanying story. Many newspaper headlines are edited more for space and formatting concerns than they are for content. Some are even written by the editors themselves.

>I wish folks well in their search for sponsorship assistance
>but I have seen stacks of shameless inflated BS written as
>"Press Releases" which in the end can hurt the sport in
>general if businesses and agencies come to think what they
>being told is 75% hype and BS.

I doubt there's a business or agency in existence that doesn't realize a press release IS mostly hype. If cold, impersonal facts secured sponsorships then there would be no need to market oneself at all. The prospective sponsoring entity could determine that they want to see their logo on a rally car, gather the results of rallies and simply send a check and contract to the team they think fits their formula for success the best.

>Would the headline "Vanlandingham Wins Maine Pro Rally" been
>acceptable in July '95?

Since it's not inaccurate, why not? Certainly, it doesn't tell the whole story, but it's not supposed to. Like you, I wouldn't choose that headline for nothing more than a class win, but I can't believe anyone takes press release headlines seriously enough to raise a ruckus over it. Two letters could be added that would make that headline perfectly acceptable to anyone - "Vanlandingham Wins In Maine Pro Rally"

>I think not. Not for me, anyway.
>
>Headlines must stand up alone.

That is certainly your choice. So you'd prefer something like JV Wins Class Over 18 Minutes Behind The Overall Winner, Almost 5 Minutes Behind The Production Class Champ And 9th From 30 Starters But Only 18 Finishers? Why would anyone bother with the rest when the headline appears to have told the whole story?

In this forum you have consistently done what you are accusing others of doing in press releases by ballyhooing a "top ten finish" that, while factually accurate, is FAR from the whole story and, worse, qualifies as ancient news now.

If anyone is interested, a copy of the results are available at http://maineforestrally.com/mainsum95-res.html

Halley (battoning down the hatches) ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
The world rally championship wasn't launched until 1978 so if he is the only one than it's accurate. But, I too have noticed the over inflated press releases but definitely wouldn?t put Pat?s on the list for there are far worse violators not particularly on hear because they are libel to get eaten alive but in the community in general... It?s a problem because people (in my experience) that are serious about a sport tend to be just that serious about it and not spending a lot of time making noise so it makes it hard to get noticed. It is actually refreshing to know that people are at least paying attention to this in a sport that (again in my experience) is full of money, noise and aside from some imports (2xHiggins) and a couple of old timers (JB, Tim O) woefully short on talent with no real intent on changing that. Hey, why make it at home when you can import it for less and it?s guaranteed? Well, stay tuned because we are about to find out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was browsing some sites around and on one guys site it had a nice proposal that is in a PDF format so you could open it in Acrobat. If you want to take a look at it I can email it to you or anyone else that is interested. It is a beginners but well thought out effort and I think that maybe you can get some ideas from it. Email me if interesed [email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jerry...Jerry....Jerry.

You just don't get it ...do you?

The hole you are digging is getting deeper and deeper.

As a person in your positon should be "making friends" (especially in this North American Rally Community that you claim to be so adamant about)...not giving them more and more ammunition to shoot you down with.

I'm sure this type of attitude will not go a long way for Toyota Canada... and all the other sponsors you are representing to further support Rally or any other Motorsport for that matter (he says tongue in cheek).

"A person who can't take a joke...usually ends up a joke"

(forgive me John V.if I don't quote you correctly, but I think I've made the point known)

I can't help but feeling embarrassed for you ....so... if you keep it up Jerry...you will be well on your way to becoming a joke.

Richard Michaluk
Day Trippers Pro Rally Team

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Back to the original subject...

A proposal should have the following:

Introduction...
-explain the series
-introduce the team. resume

Benefits...
-list the benefits of being associated with your team.
-back up this information with demographics and psychographics available from the sanctioning body.

Opportunities...
-list everthing that is available "for sale" in your team.

Appendix...
-put all your press clippings in there (get permission from magazines, first). If you have press photos with rights, add them.
-season schedule, etc.

If anyone wants a professional proposal done, let me know. I am starting to do this on the side for race teams. My proposals and music videos have served me well over the past couple years in securing sponsorship.

Hope that didn't come off as too commercial. Shall I move this to Classifieds?

Lurch

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
I'm locking this thread. Feel free to start another one and hopefully we can keep it on topic and avoid any personal insults.

Right kids?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts