Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to rally and looking to buy my first rally car. How much more expensive is maintaining an AWD car like a subaru than an FWD car like a fiesta or even a RWD car like a BMW?

I understand that an AWD is more expensive than a 2WD car since it has more moving parts, but I am open to an AWD if it is not a lot more expensive than a 2WD. I am more concerned about the spares and how easy it is to change car parts like brakes, control arms, etc... I heard from some people that BMWs are expensive to maintain since they are BMWs, but would LOVE to drive RWDs since they are LOTS of fun!

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMO, take a trip to your local junk yard. Whatever you see the most of, look for that in a rally car. IE: Focus/Volkswagen/honda is very easy to obtain from my local yard.

As mentioned in your other thread, 2wd is a great starting point. I have been told that FWD is easiest to transition to AWD, should you want to do that down the road. If you want to get sideways, go RWD. Totally dependent on budget and preference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going for a RWD car and looking at BMWs. I posted the same question on Facebook and have been hearing from rally people that it is relatively cheaper to maintain and run than lets say a subaru. They also say that the BMW is a reliable car and not expensive to maintain as long as I keep the car on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RWD are fun to drive in rally, but keep in mind that they tend to be more difficult to control out of turns. If you keep your foot on the gass through anything sharper than 4 without correction you will likely spin-out. (its for that reason people think mustang drivers are idiots)You can also pull some epic hair pins with RWD. I'd say if you are up to the challenge id go for the BMW(we need more diversity in rally right now anyways.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts