Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I will running the Rim of the World rally for the first time and would love to talk to someone about the event. If you ran it last year and can take a few minutes to tell me about it on the phone please give me a call at 415-633-2418

Thanks,

Montana Rane

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rim will be your first rally? Yikes!!!

Your phone # suggests you are in the SanFranBay area. Call Carl Jardevall at Nordic Motors in San Carlos, (650)595-0170.

He DNFed there the past two years in a VOLVO, and when a Volvo breaks on a rally, you KNOW it is a rough event.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
What I learned last year about running a New Beetle with a stock gas tank/fuel pump arrangement at Rim:

- If you have to run over a large, dislodged rock left in the middle of the road be sure to take it on the driver's side of the car. If you run over it with the codriver's side you're likely to knock a power lead off the fuel pump and be left with a unique but frustrating view of the Los Angeles Valley.

:(

I suppose this advice might fit A4 Golfs and Jettas too ...

M. E. "Mad Mike" Halley, RealAutoSport, LLC.
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
521 Posts
I say go for it, my very first time as a co-driver was there with Dave White as the 0 car. He had just bought his Golf and wanted to shake it out without any real pressure as well as giving me co-driver lessons. Our times were right in there among the upper 3rd when we weren't even supposed to be going more than 3/4 speed!

I have even had my first roll there as a driver as well, ask Forespring. Evil rocks in the road...

It can be very hot,it can be quite hard, I would still go back again and again. Some parts are slow, some parts you can even get bogged down in the soft stuff, lots of drop offs - berms help, stay close to the hill side when crossing water bars, and take the route book with a grain of salt.

CRS does a very good job with RIM, their route books and markings are better than most. They are probley second to the Northwest when it comes to marking the course and having tulips that you can believe.
Remember that the Northwest does things the FIA way and the rest of the US doesn't. Arrival times are assigned after the stage.

It can be a challenge, remember that that's what they think about the Northwest.

David

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>hmmmmmmm....
>so ya think it's worth the long haul to Palmdale?
Oh yeah.

>Rim is Rough!
>saw that last year w/my own eyes!
Biggest problem at Rim seems to be hitting those water bars too hard. Since they're catalogued in the route book one could just make sure that nothing stupid is done at them and, who knows, probably fare pretty well ...

>should i try it?
>or wait til next year when i have some more driving time
>under my erm... belt? harness? firesuit? :D
Do it. You're in charge of how hard the car goes. And not entering is a sure way to garner no points.

Don't get me started thinking ... :9

>Jamie
>www.subiegalracing.com
>www.subiegal.com

M. E. "Mad Mike" Halley, RealAutoSport, LLC.
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
RIM is rough.
If your car isn't up to it, you will find out very quickly.

But if your suspension is up to it and you figure out how to drive over 'em, most
double caution waterbars (and all single caution WBs) can be hit flat out in third gear . . .

WAHOOO !!

. . . five years, four different drivers, four different cars. . .
SAAB 99, Audi 4000 Quattro, Toyo FX16, Porsche 911 . . .

Oh yeah, if you are running the national you can use NOTES !!!

Again, WAHOOOO !!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
>hmmmmmmm....
>so ya think it's worth the long haul to Palmdale?
>
>Rim is Rough!
>saw that last year w/my own eyes!
>
>should i try it?
>or wait til next year when i have some more driving time
>under my erm... belt? harness? firesuit? :D
>
>Jamie
>www.subiegalracing.com
>www.subiegal.com

I say go for it. Just don't worry about trying to beat the locals, they have a huge advantage if they've ran before. Plus you need all the seat time you can get before my new car gets done...

·
Registered
452 Posts
well i'll have to consider it!
just the long haul, time off from work....
$$$ to get there...

and "waterbars" *shudder*
my suspension is killer (50mm DMS)
but "waterbars...."
i've heard so many horror stories!!! :eek:

if i can afford it $$$$
i'll try n be there!
thanks for the advice gang!
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
946 Posts
>well i'll have to consider it!
>just the long haul, time off from work....
>$$$ to get there...
>
>and "waterbars" *shudder*
>my suspension is killer (50mm DMS)
>but "waterbars...."
>i've heard so many horror stories!!! :eek:
>
>if i can afford it $$$$
>i'll try n be there!
>thanks for the advice gang!
>Jamie
>www.subiegalracing.com
>www.subiegal.com

Waterbars aren't so bad. Just get as close to the uphill side as possible and as you go over, slide the back of the car towards it too. It makes more sense doing it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You people are way to concerned about the waterbars! They are really no big deal, usually you can see them with lots of warning time and like Ole said, once you get the hang of them you can hit all single cautions at full clip and, if your suspension is good, most or all the doubles at full speed. The thing I would be more worried about is the drop offs! Rim was my first rally ever and the view from the middle of Del Sur South scared the S**T out of me!

Rim is an absolutly great event for a first timer, either racer or spectator. There are super stages and the viewing is well organized. Great Parc Expose lots of things to do and see, we have even had Miss Palmdale and a Bud Girl in the past.

Go to the race, don't worry much, be prepared for a warm day and cool night, bring sunblock, stay up till 4:00am drinking with everyone Saturday night!

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

·
Registered
672 Posts
Don't listen to all the wimps.

"Rim she is a' tough, but she is a' fair."

Drive within the limits of your vehicle and talent and you should finish if your car is properly prepared for the heat and water-bars.

Since this is your first event, you might not learned yet that there's some "weak hearted" rallyist that forget that the real reward is in the attempt. You get out there and go for it!

"Let's roll!", oops! maybe that's not a good saying for this sport.

I am speaking as a driver that founded the rally in 1974, won my class and finished second overall in a production car in '86, and also DNF'd more times than I can count on both hands.

When you finish at the Rim, you've done something special.

You don't want to miss it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wish it was only a 18hr tow..I figure it's a good 36 for me alone...And none of my crew is crazy enough to drive with me they are taking Northwest!

Jon Hamilton
RallyVW Racing
www.rallyvw.com (Update Soon)
www.motorsportvortex.com

>oh geez... i better get some $$ quick then!
>:)
>
>16-18hour drive in a tow rig?
>yikes!!!! :)
>hope to see you guys there!!
>i hear Hollywood Solberg may be there...
>n i want a kissie! :*
>hehehehe
>Jamie
>www.subiegalracing.com
>www.subiegal.com
:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts