Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
RE: National Sponsor ?????????

>Anyone still think SCCA has a national sponsor for
>ProRally.? I don't.

Why,(smacks own forehead in shock and dismay!!!) what you are saying is that we have been LIED TO AGAIN!!!!

The horror..................the horror................... the horror.........................

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>How can you back out of this>
>http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID2/1932.html
><
>
>
>He said "signed".........

Yeah! You're right, right there------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
>
>pete
I think cut and paste is sooooooo nice:
Conferences USA Topic #1932
Reading Topic #1932

jeff burmeister
Member since 3-14-02
289 posts
11-05-03, 06:57 AM (PST)

"SCCA Sponsor Info from SEMA"

LAST EDITED ON 11-05-03 AT 06:58 AM (PST)

Jeff, Can you please post the following on my behalf?Thanks,
Garret

Rallists,
I wanted to let everyone in the rally community know that we will not be making a sponsorship announcement here at the SEMA show this week. Lest this raise any questions I want to fill everyone what is taking place.
Firstly, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>we do have a signed agreement with a major new partner for the ProRally Championship.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

And look!

>>>>>We finalized this arrangement<<<<<< just prior to LSPR and were optimistic that we could put all of the pieces in place to make a proper announcement at the SEMA show which was just two weeks away at that time.
Unfortunately, at a show like SEMA where you could run a entire rally season if you had a nickel for every flat-screen plasma monitor that you see and there a million things going on, it is important to make these type of announcements right to have the impact that we all desire. Given the timing of our agreement, there were no available slots to host an official press conference at the show or to secure any alternate space and time at the show to do this type of announcement justice. Our only other option would have been to put a press release out amongst the hundreds of others in the media center. Both our new partner and we felt that it was more important to make the announcement right with proper signage, vehicle decals, video presentation, etc. in order to give people something to talk about.
Rest assured there will be an announcement soon. We are currently exploring a number of other venues and events that will provide an appropriate setting and access to the media and plan to make this announcement within the next 30 days.
Thanks you all for your enthusiasm and support of rallying and I?ll keep you posted on when and where this announcement will take place.

Garret D. Mudd
VP Marketing
Sports Car Club of America/SCCA Pro Racing

Anybody know who the alleged series sponsor was supposed to be?
And what the sponsorship deal was to entail and how that would have made its effect on the grear majority of us?

5 years....................

anyone?????

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts

Yeah, signed agreement. Agreement to what? Perhaps there were some conditions? Just trying to play the other side. For all I know they still have a national sponsor and will announce it whenever they planned to do so. If we don't hear anything by the end of the year, I'd say the deal fell apart. But what do I know? I just write here so I have something to read later on when I wake up.

I know you guys can't wait to vomit all over the SCCA, but at least wait until a lost national sponsor is proven as a fact before you jam that finger down your throats.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Over the years I?ve been as big an SCCA booster as anyone. However:

1) For 2 years now we?ve been ?within 48 hours? of announcing a ProRally Series sponsor.
2) A sponsor was to be announced at the SEMA show.
3) Said sponsor would NOT be announced at SEMA, as it would detract from the announcement of the SCCA National Ballroom Drifting Championship.
4) Drifting has been reported in Autoweek; no national sponsor.
5) Every major racing series is over. The automotive newswires are conspicuously inactive. It is prime time to announce anything to maximum effect. No national sponsor.

I said nothing to bash anyone. I stated a personal belief that there is no national sponsor. I still believe that.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts

I'm only referring to the claims that we have been lied to. As long as we do not know the facts behind what agreement was signed, we cannot claim they lied.

Personally, I think all the announcements like this should wait until it is OFFICIAL. Why say "We have signed an agreement with a national sponsor and we will announce who that is soon." when you could just wait until the announcement? Deals have a way of falling apart, and SCCA ProRally has had more than it's fair share.

And like you guys, I expect that the national sponsor deal is over too. I hope I'm wrong. I'm just not about to claim they lied because we do not know what the "agreement" was. That is the only point of my contention.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Right, it is quite possible they had a Letter of Intent but not a final agreement. I doubt there has been any deliberate deception.

Frankly I was very surprised when it was suddenly announced that the announcement would not be at SEMA. It seems quite late in the game to have had the realization that a lot is going on there.

I also strongly suspect that Mitsubishi's departure has put the kibosh on it. If I was the sponsor, I'd be asking what top teams were competing next year (another reason to go Grp N for the title IMHO).

Glenn

·
Registered
105 Posts

I will bet the deal WAS signed, but there was a clause in the contract that allowed them to "get out" if something big happened that the sponsor didn't like...such as one of the two manufacturers packing up their toys and going back to their own sandbox. I also suspect that Mitsu told the SCCA that they were backing out before the SEMA show and then poof, our national sponsor was gone as well.

G

·

Am I the only person who wonders what anyone would get out of being the national sponsor?

Maybe we can spend the year just having fun, cleaning up some of the rules that are "leftovers", and really making progress as a more cohesive group.

The less outside influence from sponsors and people waving stacks of cash around we have, the more we can concentrate on fixing the things the rally community feels is broken.

So I guess I'm not worried.

Let's clean our house up this year, and invite people in later :)

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts

your correct, a sponsor that leaves the series after the contract is up must be happy. If they get nothing in terms of a postive effect, they will not be a good reference, and the next potencial sponsor will most likely ask for their thoughts on return and be told XXXX did nothing for my bussiness.

I keep hearing people say we need sponsors!!! I keep thinking what the hell do we have to give in return? It's(the national series) now a mess thanks to KS. We had one hell of an oppritunnity from 1999-2001, we lost it due to poor guidence and a shallow "vision".

It's time to build the sport from the bottom up. Bring the Proseries back in line with reality, and raise the SCCA's support of the Club program.

pete

pete

G

·

I think the ProRally program can find ways to build value for potential sponsors, although perhaps I'm just being hopeful.

It's nice to think there is a step above some cars hacked together in a garage over a case of Miller. (note to self: I'm out of beer)

If I were pondering over sponsors, I'd say someone like Verizon or a cell phone company could be interesting. If they could truthfully claim to have service at half of the event locations, that would be a real endorsement.

I don't know that I would like to see Rally promoted as an extreme sport, but it is a 5th percentile pursuit. We all own rain gear, two way radios, flash lights, cell phones, flare guns, etc.

A smart promoter would take the cross over. This is the active outdoors crossed with motorsports. REI, North Face, Cabela's, Gore-Tex. Those are the companies that should be onboard and would actually benefit from exposure to our group as consumers, and even for product testing.

I could forsee a deal that would allow teams to purchase activewear for Rally use at a discount. In return, the sponsors get immense exposure at events, as well as after event casual wear.

Why isn't there a deal with Addidas to get their new clothes to registered drivers/competitors at a discount?

Where is the MBNA "Rally" affinity credit card?

Discounts for teams at major tire chains in exhange for promotion at events?

Provide immediate benefits to the competitors and teams through support programs. In exchange, we collectively beat a path to their doors as consumers, and provide product exposure to other 2nd tier consumers.

I think those are the types of opportunities that should be embraced rather than concentrating on a "Big Score".

(while this may read to condradict my previous post, I hope it's clear that the types of promotion I'm advocating are different than hoping someone will just write a check to cover operational costs. I want to see sponsors that come on board with programs to put their products into the hands of Rallyists and their teams. We evangelize their products, and they evangelize us as a sport. We are a large group of affluent consumers, typically in positions of influence. It doesn't do a company good to throw money at us- The collective should be given an opportunity to endorse the sponsors products in some way, and in turn, the sponsors help endorse our sport)

·
Registered
107 Posts

>I keep hearing people say we need sponsors!!! I keep
>thinking what the hell do we have to give in return?

I agree. This point keep surfacing over and over. How much of an impact _can_ the rally audience in the US really have?

Look how many cone smashers the SCCA has compared to that of rally. I do not have the numbers in front of me but I can image it somewhere close to 5:1; or maybe even more.

How many club rally's are run the US compared to that of the PR series? The club scene is where the focus should be.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Well the question is what is the potential audience for rally.

I don't know many people who go to watch cone chasing, even at a National Tour most of the people watching are entrants or crew/family.

I'm certain we "almost had something", though I'm not sure now. I agree a regional rally program that feeds a national program is great. Maybe the distinction between club and pro should be dropped (what sense does a national club title make?) and go back to regional and national series.

Just spend some time looking around http://www.rally.com.au - Australia seems to have a thriving series with some serious privateer competition.

I doubt the PRB will have time to act to change anything for 2004. I think 2004 will be the "cleaning house" or "remodelling the house" year for rally in the US.

Glenn

G

·
RE: Cleaning house

>Just spend some time looking around http://www.rally.com.au
>- Australia seems to have a thriving series with some
>serious privateer competition.
>
>I doubt the PRB will have time to act to change anything for
>2004. I think 2004 will be the "cleaning house" or
>"remodelling the house" year for rally in the US.
>
>Glenn

Hasn't the PRB already suspended the much maligned 20 year rule?

I am optimistic we have a good group in the PRB. I don't know about the community outside of this website, but there seems to be some cohesive ideas forming on some basic things.

I like the idea of a ProRally series being fed with coop money, discount programs, and contingencies. These are all ideas that can filter up/down to/from Club/Pro.

I can see where the issue of retaining the "Pro" series apart from the Club events will remain somewhat devisive. I think it's possible without doing it at the expense of ClubRally.

SCCA's driving goal shouldn't be on finding a big sponsor.

They need to provide some sensible technical rules and rules development processes, actively assist promoters/organizers with tools the local people can use to aquire venues and local sponsors.

Samples of environmental impact studies, crow control proposals, Federal Land use guidelines, safety statistics, demographics.

Be the glue and resource for the local organizers that make everything happen.

Oh, wait, maybe *that* was what the PRD was supposed to be doing?

·
Registered
32 Posts

My guess is Arby's.

They were on a World Challenge broadcast as
at scroing/timing sponsor at the bottom of the
screen. They're close to the statement of the
sponsor being like McDonalds.

We may never know... but the SCCA usually has
a booth at PRI, so I guess that's the place to
hammer for an answer.