Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Jake, I have been frustrated about the separation of national and regional results at combined events for a while. It's disheartening to see regional competitors have way better results than national competitors and be relegated to the "club rally" results and not show on the press releases or TV coverage. It's also just generally confusing to the public.

On a rally weekend, whoever finishes fastest should get the glory, regardless of being "national" or "regional" competitor. Sort out the championship points separately.

PS: Yes, I know that currently the combined regionals are usually separated by day instead of being the whole weekend like the national, but that would be trivial to fix.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Pay up to show in the results, even if you are the faster team. It doesn't sound very sporting to me.

Also, if I recall correctly, this year's rules won't allow just anyone to register for a national at will, unless you have several rallies behind you. If that's the case, a new team can't register for a national even if they wanted to, effectively being blocked from exposure for what, 18 coefficients (minimum 6 rallies? I don't recall).

Even in the WRC, people that pay lower entry fees (privateers, and locals even lower fees) show up in the same results sheet as everyone else.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Kent. I must have misread the issuing of multiple levels of provisional licenses, and thought it said you had to go through multiple levels of regional licenses before being able to apply for a national one.

Matt,

I know all about the differences in some of the combined national and regional events, but like I said, it would not be too difficult to align the two. Make Pro be able to reenter the second day after a DNF and adjust the entry fees to compensate the organizers for less dual entries.

If the numbers of stages are aligned (which I don't think would take much effort), it would be exactly like comparing apples to apples. As it is right now, it is a completely artificial and manufactured difference.

>Privateers don't score manufacturers points, either, do they?

Neither do most US national entries. In the WRC, a privateer (who pays a lower entry fee than a WRC factory team) or a local (who pays even less) will show in the same results sheets as the factory drivers, and if they place well, appear in event summary press releases too.

>If there was going to be a change in how this works, I would
>like to see dual entered teams that do not DNF the National
>event removed from the standings in the Regional event.

If nothing else changes, that would be a nice minimal step to improve the current situation.

>If it's all about exposure, someone has to pay for the media
>circus, and the National guys are paying more than the
>regional folks.

Yes, and the nationals have the opportunity for much better exposure and bragging rights for sponsors by placing in a national championship, instead of a regional.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If that was the case, wouldn't they just charge everyone the same as the factory entry fees?

Also, you can enter your local WRC event in a 10 year old $10,000 or cheaper Group N1 car, pay a lot lower entry fee than the WRC guys and be on the same results as them.

Sure you won't be on the press releases and TV coverage, you might be last, but the point is that you are granted the decency of comparing yourself and being able to show others how you did against the best. Who knows, maybe just something to show the grandkids some day.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the WRC, it was just an example. Am I the only one who thinks segregating people in the results solely by how much entry and license fee they pay is contrived and lame? Segregate by car age, driver age, car class, skill level, whatever, but doing it by how much money you pay for your fees doesn't make any sense.

I'm not asking for anything more than a single integrated results sheet for the whole rally. By the way, this would also foster better competition and faster driving too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
>-Only one type of entry at any event. No National, Regional,
>or Dual designation at individual events.
>
>-Organizers give trophies and report results to RA with all
>entrants combined.
>
>-To tally season points, RA sorts people into National and
>Regional, based on which series the competitor signed up for.

Sounds perfect so far.

>-Competitors can only sign up for one series. This preserves
>the regional series for regional competitors, so they can have
>good fair battles and have some good results to show
>sponsors.

I think this one is kind of questionable. I think trying to bar people from making a legitimate run for a championship will just discourage competitors and take away seat time. Why not allow people to make a legitimate run for national and regional at the same time? If they're really fast and dominate the regional, they will have to deal with stigma and animosity anyway, which I think would keep most really fast drivers from doing this.

>-The National/Regional separation only occurs at the RA/season
>point counting level. If you want to be scored for the
>National series you pay RA a National Series entry fee up
>front. That could be about equal to the current difference
>between Regional and dual-entry fees, calculated as an average
>number of events run by a typical natinal team. So each
>National team would pay something like $400 x 6 events = $2400
>to join the National Series. This money would get paid back
>to organizers who run National events (since that's where it
>would have gone under the old system anyway).

I would hesitate to charge such a high fee up front to register for the national series. How much money are organizers actually getting now from dual entry fees, that is above the normal single entry fees?

>-If we feel that this system means the national teams will
>take all the trophies at local events, we could go back to
>awarding event trophies to Seed groups. For example one
>trophy set for Seed 0-4 and one set for 5-8. This is the same
>number of trophies as the current system (2 sets), but perhaps
>more fairly distributed.

Awesome idea, if it is needed, but I would think that the only really proper occasion to split up the field like that would be if there were huge numbers of entries (80+). Cool, now I understand why in Finland they have A and B class drivers.

>This system would pay organizers the same amount they collect
>for entry revenue now, keep national teams from taking
>year-end regional awards, crown the fastest cars at each event
>as it's winners, give talented but low-budget teams and shot
>at regional championships, and perhaps free up national teams
>to work regional events (since the incentive to get points
>there would be removed).

Cool, I like most of it, except for the large up front national registration fee and limiting people to registering for only one championship. Thanks Jim!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.