Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World Rally Champion Marcus Gronholm was left red-faced after rolling his Peugeot 206 WRC on a demo run for this weekend's Gran Canaria Race of Champions - and NASCAR Winston Cup hero Jeff Gordon was given the perfect view of the quadruple flip!

The four-times NACSCAR champ was sitting in the co-driver's place when Gronholm lost control during the run which was filmed for US TV.

The Finn got as far as the second corner, a right-left kink, when he rolled on to a bank. The Peugeot then somersaulted three more times before coming to a rest.

Both Gronholm and Gordon emerged unscathed to huge cheers from the crowd. Gordon took it in good part, grinning as he walked back to the paddock, where he proceeded to retell his story to fellow NASCAR ace Jimmie Johnson. Meanwhile, Gronholm just looked embarrassed...

"I was just going too fast, I guess," said the rally champ. "I hit the bank and it just rolled. Jeff was just laughing. I guess I will just have to go on from here and win it now."

The car was badly damaged in the shunt, leaving Peugeot down to just two 206s for the weekend.

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>keep watching ye olde SPEED channel, this clip will be
>fodder for there nascar chat shows for months

There will be lots of coverage on Speed Channel now - the USA won the Nation's Cup, mainly due to the efforts of Colin Edwards and Jeff Gordon.

Doug Woods

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
nat.cup news

USA wins Nations Cup

Gordon, Johnson and Edwards triumph

Johnson (left) and Gordon were joined by Colin Edwards in the winning team

The United States team of Jeff Gordon, Colin Edwards and Jimmie Johnson scored an unexpected but richly deserved win in the Race of Champions Nations Cup, defeating Italy in the final.

World Superbike champion Colin Edwards scored the decisive leg win, crossing the line in a sideways celebration that he could afford after rival Marco Melandri had spun earlier in the run.

Edwards' win gave the US a 3-1 victory over the Italians, with the Texan twice beating the 250cc world champion, while Jeff Gordon narrowly defeated Fabrizio Giovanardi in a thrilling race in Seat Cordoba WRCs.

Italy's sole win came courtesy of Travaglia, who beat NASCAR rookie star Jimmie Johnson as the pair went head-to-head in Peugeot 206s.

The Great Britain team of Robbie Head, James Thompson and James Haydon was eliminated in the first round by Finland.

A full Race of Champions report will appear in next week's AUTOSPORT

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: nat.cup news

>USA wins Nations Cup

Yes, they won, but without a real rally driver in the team. Seems to me that this was an incredible opportunity missed for US rallying. The nominated US rally driver was a NASCAR driver! Why are Subaru, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and the SCCA sitting on their hands and watching this marketing opportunity pass them by? This result will now be big time news on the NASCAR channel and I suspect that there will not be a single mention of rallying in the USA in the coverage. There is an opportunity for a follow-up, get one these NASCAR guys in a rally car in an event in the USA. What better way to try to get Ford, GM or Dodge interested in rallying in the States?

Who would you have sent to represent the USA as a rally driver? My choice is John Buffum. Still fast enough to do well and with enough experience to easily change car makes from run to run.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
14 Posts

So where are all of the guys that were saying gordon would fall an his ***, and hoped he liked the taste of dust? don't get me wrong
nascar sucks but can see talent in a few of the drivers. but thats the problem, the money ( for good drivers in the USA ) right now is in nascar.
But there is hope because where there is money the lawyers will
soon follow. There are already some lawsuits that are threatening the way nascar is run.

·
2,953 Posts
nascar vs snobs

I know what most of you think, I was a snob until I started working and made friends with drag racers and circle jerks. What I've found (by opening my eyes) is that everyone who races has just as much desire and ambition as MS and MG, but because lawnmower racing was invented here, it is looked down on. I'm terribly impressed with how the two Gordons have fared in this european set-up, this year's crew didn't even go to the test day but jumped into cars they didn't know on courses and surfaces they don't usually compete on. WOW!
If the euro snobs would open their eyes they'd see why NASCAR is the envy of the rest of the world - a sanctioning body that employs enough people to populate a couple of those little countries with enough sponsor involvement and TV time to make Bernie blush. I don't have to like it to respect it and bashing it just makes it easier for those fans to reciprocate. Open your eyes, get tips and tricks where you can and go faster in the racing you like.
rz

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts
RE: nascar vs snobs

Good point Randy. I'm not exactly NASCAR's biggest fan and I don't agree with everything the sanctioning body does (Talk about changing the rules as you go!). I do, however, have nothing but respect for the way they have thoroughly embraced the concept of promoting and marketing themselves. And while I may not give a damn about making lefts all day, the drivers obviously have talent and car control that I wish I had one tenth of. It still would have been nice to have one member of our little community representing the US team though. :-( C'est la vie.

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
924 Posts

hmm, anyone outside of a few thousand US rally fans know the names of any of our past or present champions (well aside from the Brit newcomers, but they are'nt even that known in the homelands), not likely. I'd also hazard the guess that adding up all the costs of every US Pro Rally team (incl. the manufactureers), club rally team, all event costs (pro and club), marketing costs, t.v. costs, basically any $ spent for the whole series, and it might add up to the costs of one, maybe two NASCAR teams. we are small folks. NASCAR are big folks. until the day that we can get prize money for DNF'n in a race (check NASCAR results sometime), then we'll get privilaged invites to defend the U.S.'s honor at the R.O.C. People on this forum bash Spitzner for trying to grow the sport, then wonder why we don't show up on the world motorsoprts radar enough to merit playing with the big boys in the canary islands. I need some breakfast...

·
2,953 Posts
nat.cup news

If you look at the press releases, you'll see the organizers were using the NASCAR guys to give the event credibility. They were more important entrants that the rally guys to getting the press to take notice and sell TV packages, after all, this has been going on since '88 and R.Gordan last year must have improved the status of this event "just a little". I'd guess that the snob appeal of some foreign guys works both ways.
rz

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
RE:

I just saw the roll on ABC!

It's great! and great press!!!

If anyone is thinking out there, they should be thinking about how to get Jeff Gordon, who, no matter how much you hate Nascar or the Man, is a great talent, to a ProRally as a "celebrity" driver...

It could be huge.

Watch how quickly series sponsors will line up if Gordon gets hooked on rally...

Andrew Havas
http://www.andrewhavas.com

·
Registered
145 Posts
RE: Bring it on !!

Edward's Rocks!! once you play on the edge with a rice rocket cars have NO edge!! Your strapped in side a metal box!!! Not out with you tail in the wind. And whats all the crying about the EURO,s? We can play in there sand box and WIN!!! Right!!! SEE ! Bring it on.

David "to the gravel"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts