Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'85 XR4TI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I currently have a T5 in the XR4TI, and would like a dog box eventually. G-force made a T5 straight cut dog engagement set for a while but they are out of production now and around 1500 to 2000 used. I'm worried that durability and servicing will be a problem. If I find a good deal I still might go this way because it's bolt in.

So I started looking around and the muncie based 4 speed "101" gearboxes by a variety of manufacturers seem like a good option for rwd. They are plenty strong, serviceable, available used, etc.. They appear popular with the drift guys. Anyone using one in rally or road racing? Like this or similar from other brands: G Force 101A

Part two of my question, does anyone with a dog engagement box in a rally car know if the clutch is setup to slip a bit on shifts? the drag guys use adjustable clutches to prevent breakage from shock loading but they also have more traction/power.

Perry

·
Rally, my drug of choice.
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
934 Posts
I know of one Jerico 4 speed in rally, behind behind the V6 in John Lanes old volvo that is now owned by Cody Crane. My understanding is that was as rudimentary as possible system. Very "on/off" clutch. No fancy ignition cut or anything. I feel you could set it up that way, or you just view it as a slight lift to the gas then shift is way quicker than lift, clutch, shift, clutch, gas. The very limited knowledge of people that I know with sequentials, generally use a ignition cut rather than any fancy clutch. To me it just seems like a better idea to program something into the ECU rather than have the clutch do the work. I mean some drag guys rebuild after every pass. To me it's two different worlds.

·
Registered
'85 XR4TI
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I agree drag is another world. Some of them are using adjustable clutch slip to limit transmission breakage during hard shifts. in Rally that's probably harder on parts than running an igniton interrupt. I have the ignition/fuel cut capability built in already for flat shift functions and a beam load cell to add to the shift lever.

These transmissions are just a basic dog box design, pretty much the same as the sequential boxes but without the fancy shift drum unless you add it on. I think the ability to downshift without the clutch is a big advantage in Rally. The big difference with this over a much more expensive setup is the lack of overdrive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quaife makes Ford based dog boxes that are reasonable comparatively, and built for the sport. Stockpiling windshields, fenders and other expendables would be higher than this on my list. (talked to my neighbor yesterday, no one called him on the XR4 he wants to sell despite giving his # to four people).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts