Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As lifted from the NASA Rally sport board:

"The 2004 NASA Rally Sport General Regulations for Rallies
will be avialable on the www.nasarallysport.com web site after 1/5/04.

John K. Shirley
NASA Rally Sport Management Board"

Does "General Regulations" include "Competition Rules" and how late after yesterday?

Bernie

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
>As soon as they get done putting whiteout over all the "SCCA
>ProRally" references.

Oh good lord. *rolls eyes* I've read the NASA rules and helped work on them. I can tell you that it is based on FIA and Canadian stuff.

As to the original question of "where are they?" I can't answer that. I know that there are some issues with both the web master (and that one is getting better) and converting the big file to a proper PDF. So I think it's tech stuff at this point. And maybe punctuation. }>

Anders

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It's good to see that all you stern and serious folk have a sense of humor. As for growing up, if I ever do, just shoot me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, it's not so funny when people say stupid stuff like that about the SCCA. That gets people REALLY ruffled. Can't have it both ways.

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anders,

I'm asking for the obvious reason, I want to go racing. I want to be able to ensure compliance.

But I'm also asking for the sake of accountability and integrity. A statement was made. Is this being held up by the legal aspects? ((Puncuation and wordsmithing tends to be legal semantics)and I'm not anti-semantic):)

Bernie

PS
I did e-mail John Shirley.

·
Registered
289 Posts
NASA/SCCA nausea

Consider this "Quote for the Day" to perhaps explain the Wisdom of Uncle Joe concerning the value of Whiteout.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw-

As far as all this about the NASA/SCCA thing...(keep being reminded of the NARA/NARRA/SCCA fight years ago).
...more obviously appropriate quotes to stir the pot. :+

"It's deja-vu all over again."
-Yogi Berra-

...and of course:
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-George Santyana-

...or the old farts' favorite:
"Heed your elders; they have already made the same mistakes you may make."
-A. Nonamousse-

GBtheGG

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>NASA doing really really good. They now have a rally vehicle
>on Mars.

My thoughts exactly. Actually, my thoughts were --

"Hmm. Two rovers? One rover - exploration. Two rovers - racing!"

I assure you that these little guys will be put to the test by the time the project is over. My money is on Opportunity, provided it lands ok.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
2,835 Posts
Bernie asked:
>Does "General Regulations" include "Competition Rules" and how late after yesterday?

1) Yes
2) Well, I just finished converting it to a PDF from the final version John sent me. He has downloaded it from my server, needs to check it, and send it off to the NASA site to be posted. So hopefully, the "after 1/5/4" timeframe will be today, 1/6/4.

ihbobry said:
>I'm asking for the obvious reason, I want to go racing. I want to be able to ensure compliance.

Don't worry. As long as you are compliant with something, you can come racing. We have a special rule section just for that, it says if you are SCCA, CARS, FIA, or FMD compliant, bring your car, fully prepped to those rules, and the rulebook, with you to tech.

Slowly, these wheels churn along.... :)

Anders

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Anders said:
>Don't worry. As long as you are compliant with something,
>you can come racing. We have a special rule section just for
>that, it says if you are SCCA, CARS, FIA, or FMD compliant,
>bring your car, fully prepped to those rules, and the
>rulebook, with you to tech.

Cool, somewhere I must still have that car I used back in 1974 and I know that I have the SCCA Pro Rally rule book from then in a box in the basement.

Oh, you meant "current" rules? ;)

Kent Gardam

·
2,835 Posts
Now if you could only find that log book.... *grin* I hope there wasn't some kind of 50 year rule back then; you might be out of luck now! ;)

Oh, and before people start asking:

1) it's about 4 meg. yeah, we know thats big. yes, with work we can make it smaller by optimizing the graphics. we have day jobs you know. ;)
2) no, we don't have it seperated out into different chapters for easier download. yes, we know that would make download easier. yes, we're going to look into that for later.
3) yes, you can print the pdf file.
4) it's about 90 pages.
5) no, you can't select and copy the text. yes, we know that makes it a pain. the intent is that we can be reasonably sure that printed copies are accurate. yes, you could just print the whole thing out and OCR it, but we think people would rather go rally than mess with all that. ;)
6) yes, the security password is actually set. yes, I'm aware of the potential capabilites of third party software.

Anders
(who realizes fully that saying all of this probably won't stop people from asking the questions anyway. *grin*)

·
Registered
253 Posts
snip..
>5) no, you can't select and copy the text. yes, we know that
>makes it a pain. the intent is that we can be reasonably
>sure that printed copies are accurate. yes, you could just
>print the whole thing out and OCR it, but we think people
>would rather go rally than mess with all that. ;)
>6) yes, the security password is actually set. yes, I'm
>aware of the potential capabilites of third party software.
>
>Anders

(I hate to stir things up, but this really pisses me off.)
So, what we are being told is that NASA plans to make all the exact same mistakes SCCA has with the digital version of its rules.

Bill

G

·
Maybe using a watermark would be a better choice than attempting to make it non-copy and pastable?

Anywho

http://jive.net/rally/nasa.pdf

copy and pastable. It's not a huge issue to me, obviously. Minor inconvenience at worst.

I like the inclusion of the FIA cage drawings. Looks like a good solid start.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RE: NASA/SCCA nausea

My hat is off to anyone who can quote George Bernard Shaw, Santyana and Yogi Berra in the same post :)

Happily, it's possible to take one's rallying seriously without taking oneself seriously - sometimes.

Bruce

1 - 18 of 18 Posts