3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
printing

I am well aware that it CAN be printed.

My point - why SHOULD EACH of us have to do that?

press on,

760 Posts
>In another thread
>http://www.specialstage.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=230&topic_id=2222&mesg_id=2222&page=
>there are all kinds of suggestions of how to print & bind the
>rulebook.
>
>All this begs the question:
>
>WHY DOESN'T NASA PROVIDE A PRINTED RULEBOOK?
>
>Yes, for searching, and quoting, the on-line version is
>better.
>
>But, for reading (at least for this old fart), and certainly
>for reference at an event and in the car, a printed version is
>better.
>
>JKS? Ray?
>
>press on,

Yes Jimmy,

Please print as needed,
we do the same.

Regards,

Ivan Orisek

G

·
RE: printing

>So that they don't print a bunch of books that nobody needs,
>then become obsolete each year?
>
>But what do I know, they still print our book up here.

What criteria do you make the assertion that "nobody needs" the books.

Then, you go on to say they become obsolete each year?

Something that is useless to begin with can't become obsolete.

To make the statement they become obsolete, you must first assume the premise they have initial value or worth that is being lost over time.

I don't know anyone who competes without a rule book nearby. I would even bet there are people in Canada who like to have copies of the current rules in their cars.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

Matt,

Methinks thou doest protest too much. I suggest that you read the quote alternatively as "print extra copies of the rule books that don't get distributed". As far as obsolesence is concerned, every series has a new book each year.

Kent

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

As a R-A rulebook geek, I'll chime in on this.

One advantage of a printed rulebook is size and the fact that it is bound. A hundred or sheets of loose (or clipped) 8.5x11 sheets of paper which can be awkward to carry around and access in your co-driver bag.

There is also a matter of the rulebook being definitive. The printed rulebook can be considered definitive. A rulebook that I obtain off of the Internet and print myself may be a draft version and not definitive.

In all of the drafts that I did for the 2005 SCCA rulebook (which became the R-A rulebook), I put the words "DRAFT" on the background of each page, but other folks might not do that and it might be hard to tell if a given self-printed copy of the rulebook is the final version. It is also possible that someone could alter the rulebook and print it themselves and present it to other competitors to try and persuade them not to protest something illegal on their car.

Anyone who says that the rulebook is not needed has not competed in enough rallies or has a co-driver who hides everything from him or doesn't run near the pointy end of the field. Why, just this past weekend, I needed my rulebook (ask Jimmy!).

alan

·
Registered
935 Posts

>What criteria do you make the assertion that "nobody needs"
>the books.
>
>Then, you go on to say they become obsolete each year?
>
>Something that is useless to begin with can't become
>obsolete.

Whoa there killer! I simply meant there's no sense printing 1000 of them, if only 100 people want to order them. They'll be obsoleted as soon as they are revised, that's all. Starving children in africa can't eat old rulebooks, so I wouldn't think they'd want to waste any more than one needs to.

>I don't know anyone who competes without a rule book nearby. I
>would even bet there are people in Canada who like to have
>copies of the current rules in their cars.

Not that I don't think having the rules with you isn't useful, but I just think that since I can print them in any format I want for less than they would charge to do it, I personally wouldn't care. I get the impression I may have my rose coloured glasses on again, since in retrospect there may be plenty of people without the willingness to do so. It should be available, but for whatever outrageous fee it would be to do it individually. Again, just me. (And I own a copy of that mass produced CARS rulebook too, what a hypocrite) :)

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
RA rulebook

>As a R-A rulebook geek, I'll chime in on this.
>
>One advantage of a printed rulebook is size and the fact that
>it is bound. A hundred or sheets of loose (or clipped) 8.5x11
>sheets of paper which can be awkward to carry around and
>access in your co-driver bag.

Is there a bound RA rulebook available? Having those hundred 8.5x11 sheets clipped in my codriver bag is like you say. If there is such a rulebook available, how do I get one? Are they free with a license?

G

·

I took the wording as saying, well, what it said, that nobody needed the rule book. I took it as saying the book was worthless from the get go, and even if it weren't worthless, it would soon be. Being frequently surprised at how many times the book is not consulted when it should be, I was taken aback at the notion, or any hint to that effect,that it was useless.

Waste is bad. True enough.

Other organizations provide the books on request if you send them a postcard or something similar requesting it.

We, the royal, insane we, do see a lot of questions from people that would seem to be clearly answered if a person had a rule book and/or read it.

We, our rallyteam we, only somewhat mentally infirm, had a home printed copy of the 2004 rulebook in the car, and the "real" bound versions seem to hold up quite a bit better.

Oddly enough, I no longer have a working printer at my home, so the arrival of the new 2005 rulebook from our Local Friendly Rally Group (LoFRaG) was greeted with jovial adulation.

Edit:
Yes, There is a 2005 RA Rulebook. Why you didn't get one in the mail, I'm not sure. The PTB will have to answer that.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
RE: RA rulebook

>Is there a bound RA rulebook available?

Yes.

>If there is such a rulebook available, how do I get one?

Email JB or Al Kintigh.

> Are they free with a license?

I think there's a nominal fee, but I don't recall exactly. If you were an SCCA license holder with a license that expires in 2005, I think you got one copy of the 2005 book free.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts

>We, our rallyteam we, only somewhat mentally infirm, had a
>home printed copy of the 2004 rulebook in the car, and the
>"real" bound versions seem to hold up quite a bit better.

The binding on the 2004 rulebook (at least my copy) had some issues. The glue that holds the pages to the outer cover gave way and fold sections are now all loose in it. My 2001 through 2003 rulebooks did not have this problem. Neither has my 2005 R-A rulebook, but I haven't abused it like I have the others (yet!).

alan

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts

The Rally America rule book is free with a competition license.

Rally America paid the SCCA to mail books to everyone who had an SCCA license as of 12/31/04... so you should have gotten yours some time ago.

We didn't have them when we started issuing our own licenses at Sno*Drift, but we're going throught the license list and are about to mass mail books to those who purchased Rally America licenses but didn't get rule books.

Over the past few weeks, licenses have been mailed out WITH a rule book.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
>>All this begs the question:
>>
>>WHY DOESN'T NASA PROVIDE A PRINTED RULEBOOK?
>>
>Yes Jimmy,
>
>Please print as needed,
>we do the same.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ivan Orisek

Ivan, that doesn't answer the question.

Thanks!

-Jason

·
Registered
168 Posts

Geez, guys, don't we deal with a lot of more difficult tasks in preparing for a rally? I didn't get a free rulebook, and that's OK, but I needed one for SnoDrift, too. If you print the pdf file on 11"x17" size paper, fold it in half like a book, and staple it in the center (as many times as you want so it don't fall apart, y'all) it will last easily through a season. And the copy is actually a bit larger and easier to read on 8.5" x 11" size pages than in the smaller-formatted "legit" rule books. It just takes a few minutes to re-order the pages for that print setup. Use a heavier cover-weight stock for the outside, and BAM, you have a book.

It will last and last through all the pu-flinging. Or, for those less creative, I bet it's fairly inexpensive to email the pdf file to your local copy shop and have a book printed and spiral bound.

Kala Rounds
one of the most creative codrivers you know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts