Special Stage Forums banner

NASA RALLY SPORT

4K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  stvwn 
#1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Due to the large volume of questions regarding the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) and rally, the following is meant to address those questions.

NASA has reached an agreement with the American Rally Sport Group and Rally Promotions to administer the new "NASA Rally Sport" program.

The mission of NASA Rally Sport is to encourage the growth of stage rallying in the United States by providing a customer driven organization offering safe, fair competition, and affordable events for the stage rally competitor, volunteer, organizer, and sponsor.

NASA has been overwhelmed with questions regarding membership, licensing, requests for sanctions, and other queries regarding its rally program. While much is being currently developed, NASA Rally Sport can state with certainty:

(1) All stage rally related issues will be dealt with exclusively through "NASA Rally Sport;"

(2) All competitors in a NASA sanctioned event must be NASA Rally Sport members. NASA Rally Sport membership will be discounted in 2003 to $25.00. Membership is for a full calendar year. Membership is good for all NASA events. The membership fee includes a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports, the official publisher of NASA Speed News. As of January 1, 2004, the annual membership fee will return to its regular price of $35.00;

(3) NASA Rally Sport will recognize licenses from other sanctioning bodies for the first event a competitor enters and competes in. Furthermore, it will recognize these credentials as long as they have been valid sometime in the calendar year prior to the NASA sanctioned event, even if expired at the time of the running of the event. If a competitor has never been issued a rally license, then he/she will be granted a one event license subject to completion of a rally competition seminar held before the event. If a competitor wishes to compete in a subsequent event, then he/she must obtain a NASA Rally Sport competition license. Fee for the annual License is to $50.00.

(4) Each NASA event is covered for liability in the amount of $5 Million in the aggregate through United States Fidelity and Guaranty Company (USF&G) and Mutual of Omaha. Competitors are covered by $50,000.00 excess medical as well as $15,000.00 for accidental death and dismemberment; and

(5) All workers receive the same medical and accidental death and dismemberment benefits as competitors, regardless of whether they are a NASA member.

As stated above, much is in the formulation stages. NASA Rally Sport has sought out the best and the brightest in the rally community, and has formed an advisory group to guide the development of rules, classes, and general guidelines for the conduct of its events.

NASA Rally Sport Management Board: John Shirley, Ray Hocker, Kendall Russell, Roger Allison, Wilson von Kessler - General Counsel.

The NASA Rally Sport management board controls both business and sporting decisions allowing for coherent sporting regulations and a solid business plan that is ever mindful of the costs borne by the competitors and organizers. Using the NASA business model, NASA Rally Sport will maintain a streamlined structure dedicated to not repeating the mistakes of the past.

Contrary to previous published reports, as of today there is no officially approved NASA Rally Sport regulations. Drafts of the new regulations are currently being reviewed and the final regulations will be available soon. Event classes will be addressed as well, and please rest assured that the Management Board and Advisors will be trying to make your transition to running NASA events as smooth as possible, and will take into account vehicles prepared to the requirements of other sanctioning bodies.

The people involved with NASA Rally Sport recognize that the sportsman ralliest is the heart of the sport in the United States. Please stand by as we go through our growing pains. We guarantee that we will not lose sight of our constituency.

SAFE, FAIR, AFFORDABLE COMPETITION for competitors and SAFE, REWARDING, ENJOYABLE events for organizers.

Inquiries regarding organizer and competitor issues should be addressed, geographically, to Ray Hocker at ray@rallyusa.com for events in the following states: Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and a portion of Texas west of a line drawn from Wichita Falls to San Antonio to Corpus Christi. , and

Inquiries regarding organizer and competitor issues should be addressed, geographically, to John Shirley at nasarallysport@cs.com for events in the following states: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Michigan, Indiana, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana Oklahoma, , Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, and a portion of Texas east of a line drawn from Wichita Falls to San Antonio to Corpus Christi.

Very truly yours,

Ray Hocker and John K. Shirley

See less See more
#3 ·
Finally... I thought I was going to explode waiting for the official announcement. Congratulations again guys! Now lets show how it should be done. An organization for ralling, by rallists and for rallists. And yes, we will finally have a rally in FLORIDA. Move over Mickey... here comes NASA (no, not the guys in Cape Canaveral)

Carlos
E.T. Racing
NASA Car # ????:D

#16 ·
>Drafts
>of the new regulations are currently being reviewed and the
>final regulations will be available soon.

Wow a sane rule book... I never thought I would see the day...
How about making the review process transparent?

Also does NASA Rally Sport have any communication plans in the works - along the lines of partnership with SS.com to host member forums for Q&A, feedback, accountability etc

Skye

#18 ·
>Also does NASA Rally Sport have any communication plans in
>the works - along the lines of partnership with SS.com to
>host member forums for Q&A, feedback, accountability etc

I imagine SS.com would suffice: there's no SCCA-only decree
here. After all, there are already NARA, mexico, candian,
world, and CRS forums.

Anders

#19 ·
Well of course, but I mean an OFFICIAL forum for communication. One where proposed rules MUST be put up for discussion and where questions MUST be answered.

Without REQUIRED transparency and accountability, there are no checks & balances to prevent getting into this mess all over again.

Skye

#22 ·
RE: Special Stage Forum?

>>I imagine SS.com would suffice
>
>Jim? George? Jeff? Willing to set up a NASA forum?

I am not the forum administrator, so I'm not going to make any promises. It's certainly possible to add another forum. But I'm just going to play devil's advocate.

What would be gained by having an additional forum on top of what is already here? What would be the topic of discussion that could not be held elsewhere? Is this to imply that there should also be a separate SCCA forum?

Like I said, I'm not objecting. I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of what is to be gained by such a thing.

Ben

#23 ·

Personally, I don't see a need. Any official forum discussion should be on their website. Any discussion of rally in North America (and elsewhere) is welcome to continue discussion here. We prefer to remain independent if at all possible.

However, we are here for you guys. If the people want it the people will usually get it.

What say you all?

#24 ·

One purpose of such a forum is that it could be an 'official' location. The USA forum is a general forum, and a separate 'official' forum would be the best place to post official items. I'll have to check out the nasaforums to see what that is about. It may already be the 'offical' NASA place.

There would be no need for any such parallel forum for SCCA, since they do not allow such easy and open communications.......

It's nice to start breathing freely again.....

Mark B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.