1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see the following article at:
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/13546/

Per the article, J.B. Niday states the following as quoted by Mr. Wood:

J.B. Niday, the managing director of Rally America, told me insurance is the top priority for the company. It?s a key reason why the SCCA gave up on rallying. Niday said there wouldn?t be a 2005 season without an insurance policy in place and the deadline is ?right until the day before the start of the Sno*Drift Pro Rally at the end of January.?

That said, however, he indicated there have been talks with several organizations that could supply the insurance should Rally America not be able to secure a policy of its own. Included in that list is the National Auto Sport Association, or NASA. In fact, NASA has established a Rally Sport division with its own web presence at NASARallysport.com.

As a principal of NASA Rally Sport we have never discussed with Rally America the idea of offering insurance to their events. I have asked Mr. Niday and Mr. Havir to correct this error most timely.

John K. Shirley
NASA Rally Sport

[font color=red]Edited due to addtional comunications between NASA Rally Sport and Rally America[/font]

·
Registered
240 Posts
RE: NASA Rall Sport will not insure Rally America events!

So much for the hope of cooperation :( let the battle begin!
(It?s not what you are saying but how and the fact that you made a point to explicitly state it that tells me you are not up for cooperation)

·
Registered
901 Posts
RE: NASA Rally Sport will not insure Rally America events!

Edit 10/25/2004: I wrote this when the title of this topic was that NASA Rallysport WILL NOT insure RA events. So take it from that tone:

Yeah, how's about being inclusive instead of exlusive? Your title to this post indicates that, come hell or high water, there is no way you'd consider insuring Rally America events.

Kinda turns us off of going to NASA Rallysport events, eh? Kinda makes you sound snobby.

Just an opinion from a competitor... I'm deciding with my wallet...

KT

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

This is just what we needed, SCCA drops rallying, and now people are fighting for the left overs.

Give me a break.

Cooperation, my man, cooperation!!!

Tony Chavez

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

>As a principal of NASA Rally Sport we have never
>discussed with Rally America the idea of offering insurance
>to their events. I have asked Mr. Niday and Mr. Havir to
>correct this error most timely.

1 question:

Why?

·
Registered
117 Posts

>
>As a principal of NASA Rally Sport we have never
>discussed with Rally America the idea of offering insurance
>to their events. I have asked Mr. Niday and Mr. Havir to
>correct this error most timely.

I don't think think there is any mention in that quote that they will not insure RA events, just that they have not talked about it.

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

·
Registered
245 Posts

>
>That said, however, he indicated there have been talks with
>several organizations that could supply the insurance should
>Rally America not be able to secure a policy of its own.
>Included in that list is the National Auto Sport
>Association, or NASA. In fact, NASA has established a Rally
>Sport division with its own web presence at
>NASARallysport.com.

The way that reads to me is that they were talking to NASA, and not NASA Rallysport. Semantics I know, but the devil is in the details. People can also be misquoted as well.

Nick Polimeni
[email protected]
www.odysseyhouseonline.com
www.hrm-usa.com

·
Registered
672 Posts

Kristen,

Rally America did not wish to talk with NASA Rally Sport about providing insurance for their events. Every attempt has been made to work together and it was kind of shocking to read about NASA in the SPEED article.

NASA Rally Sport was first on the scene to offer insurance and support to events with open arms. Sorry if this comes off sounding exclusive that's not the intent. Please don't judge our motives based on one sentence. We remain completely open to work with quality events.

Ray Hocker
Director,
NASA Rally Sport West

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Kristen,

I don?t' mean to be snobby or turn off but Mr. Niday and Mr. Havir have told NASA Rally Sport they did not want to work with us.
As such we cannot have the position of our company misrepresented to the public.

John K. Shirley
NASA Rally Sport

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Nick,

We are NASA when it comes to Rally.

John K. Shirley
NASA Rally Sport

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

I don't see what the big fuss is about.

Would SCCA insure NASA events? Would IMSA insure SCCA events? Etc...

What it appears to me is that John is stating clearly that the article is either wrong, or a misprint, or a misunderstanding. Whichever is the case it is appropriate to nip this in the bud immediately. The article is public, so the response should be public and not behind closed doors as SCCA did to us for years.

Regarding cooperation between NASA, SCCA, RA... I do not have an opinion AND I AM NOT COMMENTING EITHER WAY... so don't give me any grief about it.

Jens Larsen
Flying Kiwi Racing

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

>I don't think think there is any mention in that quote that
>they will not insure RA events, just that they have not
>talked about it.
>
>Will MacDonald
>1968 Volvo 144

Who cares if they have or haven't? What skin is taken off which nose if they said they did even if they really didn't? Is NASA such a tight-knit organization that no one could have talked to one of the overall yukkity-yuks about insurance without one of the rally principals knowing about it? What's gained posting the clarification? SCCA, NARA, NARRA, NASA, AAA, USAC, BFD - nothing but freaking acronyms. Get me in the events with the REAL rallyists out there and I give a S#!) what flag we're flying over the event ...

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
63 Posts

kind of a condesending article but that is coming from a toothless, dukes of hazaard fan from a little farm who grew up driving down two tracks at sixty and seventy miles an hour. Techno sucks...(sorry a little off topic)

·
Registered
672 Posts

Mike,

I agree with you BUT somebody's got to get out there and put on the damn events. We trying to get that job done and misinformation make that job difficult.

Here's another acronym for ya DROSTPOQR (dedicated rally organizer seeking to put on quality rallies). What do ya think?

Peace!

Ray Hocker

·
Registered
672 Posts

Nick

Weeks before the SCCA BoD voted to drop ProRally, NASA Rally Sport was working with NASA to ensure that insurance would continue to available to events. This was long before the SCCA past the torch to Rally America.

John and I were assured by the NASA folks that all rally business would be channeled through NASA Rally Sport. We have an agreement with them, much like Rally America's agreement with the SCCA. That is why we feel comfortable speaking for NASA.

Ray Hocker
Director
NASA Rally Sport West

·
Registered
868 Posts

Maybe the phrases we're looking at mean that an event such as Snodrift could possibly get insurance through NASA if it doesn't end-up being possible through Rally America. I assume this would mean that Snodrift would need NASA sanctioning.
I occasionally have to deal with the media through my work and I've discovered that a long detailed discussion can sometimes be summarized in 2 sentences by a reporter. Sometimes the exact context gets lost. This does not appear to have been a direct quote of JB.
I wasn't there, so I know I don't have a complete picture of what was said. Unless we get a recording, we won't know, will we?

·
Registered
789 Posts

let the battle begin!

Yup...predictable...and it is not the fault of either group.

We are quite far away from assuring the future of this great sport in the US.

·
Registered
926 Posts

When I read the article I too assumed from the statement JBN was saying talks were underway with NASA among others (personally I thought that was a good thing). However upon a re-read what is says is NASA is on the RA list of possible partners for insurance and talks are underway with those on that list. I think it would be very possible for JB to have meant (or said) talks had begun with some but not all on the list and the list includes NASA - the reporter took it the other way. A very minor difference in language but a large difference in meaning.

I would hope this, in and of itself, would not create a problem should RA be in contact with NASA in the near future. I can see a couple scenarios wherein cooperation between RA and NASA would benefit both companies and performance rally in the US.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts