Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much discussion, fiddling, and experimentation, I can definitively say that I now know how to hook up a terratrip to the VSS signal on a MY98 Subaru.

1) You do seem to need the DSI box. I haven't acutally tried bypassing the DSI yet, but with the DSI it works.

2) I tapped into the Bulkhead wiring harness within a few inches of the ecu.

3) On the MY98 cars the ECU connector is one large connector with ~166 possible pin locations. The one you are interested in is #83. If you look at the face of the connector with the wires flowing out away from you, 83 is in the lower right corner of the left half of the connector. It is a black wire with a green stripe.

Invaluable assistance came from Scott Puttnam at Bloomington Subaru in Bloomington, MN and from http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com

I haven't had a chance to calc good factor for it yet (we had an opportunity at Headwaters, but other things were pressing) but I reckon that it is between 4750 and 5000.

Interference was not observed from either any of the car's electrical systems, nor from the HAM radio located very near the wiring.

jblewis

·
Registered
116 Posts
John,
I have been running an Alfa-Pro with Alfa's sending in my 91 Legacy for a few years without any problems.
I'ts attached to the left front drive shaft as shown on bottom picture below:
http://rally.cc/alfasu.htm
Let me know if you want more information.

rlima

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I've always got the option of mounting on a driveshaft, but
>really want to do something that is protected and inside the
>car if possible. The DSI sounds like an option I might look
>into.

I also have a wheelprobe (for a Terratrip) mounted so that it looks at the inboard end of the RF driveshaft (access was easier than the LF). This on my street car which gets used as a course checking/opening/closing car, but the installation is well protected, both by location and by the skidplate. If it got hit hard enough to damage the probe mounting, then the probe would be the least of my worries. Subaru thoughtfully provided a couple of threaded holes in the gearbox casing that made mounting the probe bracket simple. This is a MY99 2.2 Impreza.

Adrian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts