Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on giving it a bath with some laundry detergent, but thought I'd ask here how others 'freshen' up their helmets?

Thanks...Martin.

·
Media Dude
1,464 Posts
http://www.esporta.ca/

they started out cleaning hockey gear, now they do everything from police vests to football helmets and everything in between, is there any reason this wouldnt work?

and they are all over the place.

and i looked in their FAQ's and saw these two questions that sorta seemed relevant.

Q. Won?t washing my equipment in water ruin it?
A. Think about it ? ice hockey is harsh and demanding on equipment. It takes a pounding and gloves, skates & padding are wet for prolonged periods of time. Our gentle process uses mild but effective detergents to clean deep into cloth and foam, then rinse away the bacteria, grime and sweat. Your equipment is held in place ? no tumbling, twisting or banging around in our Esporta machine! Your equipment comes back fresh, disinfected and ready to wear.

Q. What else can the Esporta Wash System clean?
A. If it can fit in our machine we can probably clean it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Fabreeze... would make it smell better I'm sure, but I'd like to get rid of the dirt, sweat etc. rather than just cover it up!

Balaclaver.. I wear one when the rules call for it, but I've gotten out of the habit, can't say I ever really like them, but I agree it would help, and way easier to wash than a helmet!

I like the look of this sports equipment cleaner. I checked locations and there's one in town so I think I'll give them a call!
If I go with then I'll tell you how it works out how much$ etc.

Thanks again... Martin.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Old trick used by people wearing full face motorcycle helmets year round is to take some newspaper and crumple it loosely to fill the inside of the helmet. Something in the ink kills odours and the newspaper wicks/absorbs unwanted smells. (note: if you pack the paper tightly you mey end up getting a black face next time you wear it!!):(

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>did you ever end up getting it cleaned, and if so, how much
>$$ did it set you back?

No I didn't yet. If/when I do I'll post the results/cost's.

-Martin.

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
I wouldn't do it with Esporta...they use a big machine washer to clean sporting goods and I'm not sure they do a "hand wash". I definately wouldn't recommend having your helmet bouncing around inside a spin cycle! :) For everything else they do a fantastic job.

Also, some detergents can "eat" into the helmet shell and padding, reducing the effectiveness. You'll want to find a detergent that is safe for this sort of thing. Hmmm...there must be SOME product out there for this.

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
Quick search of the Internet found the following on the AFX web site and may similar:

Care and Cleaning

Clean your helmet only with mild soap and water. A solution of baking soda and water may be used to clean the liner. After cleaning the helmet interior, rinse with a damp cloth and allow to air dry at room temperature. High heat and strong solvents will damage the liner. Automotive type waxes may be applied to the painted surfaces to protect the finish. Only use a wax suitable for a clear-coated finish. To clean the visor we recommend that you use mild soap and warm water, and dry with a soft cloth. Never use paper towels or tissues to wipe the face shields.

Your helmet may be damaged, possibly without the damage being visible, by any of the following:
Gasoline, oil, petroleum-based fluids and solvents.
Harsh or abrasive cleaning compounds
Paints
Adhesives

Personal observation:
Febreeze and similar deodorizing products seem to be popular to get that musty smell out. And wearing a balaclava definately helps. Much easier to clean the balaclava than the helmet.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts