Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

The woman I married said she wanted to save my neck, so I received a HANS device for xmas. Well, we didn't actually buy it then, but we agreed that it would be a good gift for a guy like me.

I tried it out for the first time last weekend at Desert Storm (a super rally, by the way). Without going into great detail, I can say that I'm comfortable wearing it and will have it with me at all rallies henceforth.

It was easy getting in and out of the car with it, and pretty easy to connect up within the confines of the car. I got the quick disconnect version, which I recommend.... much easier than trying to push, twist and lock. Drilling holes in your Peltor always makes you wince, but it was a fairly painless process. Only a few foul words were uttered when the retaining nuts tried to hide behind the foam.

Mounting the studs to the helmet had to deviate from the HD recommendations because of the helmet shape, but the revised points were approved by the manufacturer. Thanks, Lee S, for giving me that information and helping us pick the appropriate unit. Lee let me try his on last August at Ojibwe, which positively influenced my decision to buy a HANS vs the multi-strap Hutchins device.

The only thing that could be a problem is if your belts tend to spread away from the collar (3 inch belts on a 2 inch collar.) I didn't have that problem this weekend, but it did take a bit of getting used to in order to get everything to seat properly. And then you gotta remember to actually clip the clips after you've positioned the belts!

It's pricey, but I'm going to continue to use it. You should consider one too.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the plug John.

The harness spread issue can be a problem if the shoulder belt attachements are too far apart. The HANS installation guide has a specifation for this. In fact my new Schroth belts require the shoulder harness to cross if mounting is more than 18" from the seat back.

I'm glad you liked the HANS. It certainly is part of my standard equipment now.

See you all at OTPR.

Lee:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dear Mr Dillon

Whats your thoughts on "left' to "right" head movements "as a driver" with the HANS? Say in a RWD car. I have been nown to have to look out the side windows as the back of the car is "crossed up"?

Thanks

David

Hazardous Toy inc

·
Registered
276 Posts
John,
I know the Hans device is great for front impact, but does it protect you for side impact. The open wheel guys have the cockpit to stop the head in case of side impact and the NASCAR guys have special seat. Does it work in a rally car with regular rally seat?

thank you

Stephan

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking right

>Dear Mr Dillon
>
> Whats your thoughts on "left' to "right" head movements "as
>a driver" with the HANS? Say in a RWD car. I have been nown
>to have to look out the side windows as the back of the car
>is "crossed up"?
>

In my case as navvie, I could look out the right side window almost 90 degrees (combining some head motion and some eye motion.) If a worker was right at the door handle of the car, slightly aft of my shoulder, I couldn't see him though.

If you need to look over your shoulder, you'll be in trouble, but then you're probably already in trouble if you're looking over your shoulder at speed!

As for Stephan's question, I got the HANS for the fore and aft safety, but I feel like I would get a little side benefit as well. What is really needed for side to side protection are the winged head rests. Ask Brian Scott about his in-car video to understand why.

Hope this helps...

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE: Looking right

Mr. Dillon,

First let me congratulate you for being one of the first (of hopefully many to come) Rally folks who are wearing some type of head and neck restraint system.

I did a bunch of research before purchasing a system. I went with the ISAAC. I think the HANS and ISAAC are better than every other system available. However, I believe that the ISAAC is much better than the HANS when it comes to range of movement and impacts much more than 15-30 degrees.

I would suggest that if you have that much range of motion with the HANS that your tethers are not adequately adjusted, and may not function properly when you need them to. Also, please make certain that your harness mounts are close enough together to prevent the belts from coming off the HANS in an offset impact. You Rally guys don't often go off straight. Your impact is much more likely to be some type of offset angle vs. head on.

·
Registered
94 Posts

> thoughts on "left' to "right" head movements "as
>a driver" with the HANS? Say in a RWD car.

>Also,
>please make certain that your harness mounts are close
>enough together to prevent the belts from coming off the
>HANS in an offset impact. You Rally guys don't often go off
>straight. Your impact is much more likely to be some type
>of offset angle vs. head on.

So, I'm still not seeing an answer to this question about side-to-side impact. I can read plenty of research that supports HANS (or any other brand version) of restraint for front-to-back movement. Yet, if the past year's events have told us anything, it is that limiting side-to-side impact is crucial. How can these head restraint systems help with this particular problem?

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts

>So, I'm still not seeing an answer to this question about
>side-to-side impact. I can read plenty of research that
>supports HANS (or any other brand version) of restraint for
>front-to-back movement. Yet, if the past year's events have
>told us anything, it is that limiting side-to-side impact is
>crucial. How can these head restraint systems help with
>this particular problem?

After listening to the presentation at the SCCA national convention and asking questions directly to the experts, it is clear that HANS does NOT offer protection in a side impact. That, in my opinion, does NOT minimize the value of the HANS device. The only side impact protection options currently available are seats with integrated head and shoulder restraint or head and shoulder nets.

Please realize that any currently available seat that has head and shoulder restraint must have those "wings" supported with strut bars or nets as the "wings" cannot withstand the impact without substantial deformation. Also understand that you must support both the head AND the shoulder with properly placed supports to maintain normal alignment. Head restraint without shoulder restraint is as dangerous as nothing. The same applies to supporting the shoulder without the head.

This is what Dr. Melvin and Dr. Hubbard said at the convention.

Mark Utecht
First ProRally competitor to use a HANS device on stage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.