Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was really fun. Got 3rd out 9 in stock 2WD. But apparently didn’t have the best tires. I used mud & snow, but the more experienced guys recommended track tires basically 200TW summer performance tires. Seems a bit counter intuitive but they had cars there on tires with really minimal tread getting great times.

·
Rally, my drug of choice.
1983 Mazdaru BR-7
865 Posts
Oh man, just looking at that pretty of a car on gravel make me hurt a little in side!! 🤣

Looks awesome though!!!

·
Achievement Unlocked!
882 Posts
Was really fun. Got 3rd out 9 in stock 2WD. But apparently didn’t have the best tires. I used mud & snow, but the more experienced guys recommended track tires basically 200TW summer performance tires. Seems a bit counter intuitive but they had cars there on tires with really minimal tread getting great times.
Awesome - don't worry about how you placed at your first rallycross, just work on your improvement, did you get faster all day? I'll bet you did!

I don't know who suggested Summer performance tires at a rallycross, but they would be absolutely incorrect.
I can't even imagine how little grip you would have if it rained. 😨
A new M+S (mud + snow) all season would destroy summer tires at a rallycross with the same car / driver combo.
My guess is we have a bunch of gentleman in turbo AWD cars, who are driving around on stock 18" rims, who can't find winter tires for them, and aren't about to replace brake calipers to fit 15" rims.🤔🧐

What are you running? What pressures did you have them at?

(I'm a pretty seasoned rallycrosser in SoCal) 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome - don't worry about how you placed at your first rallycross, just work on your improvement, did you get faster all day? I'll bet you did!

I don't know who suggested Summer performance tires at a rallycross, but they would be absolutely incorrect.
I can't even imagine how little grip you would have if it rained. 😨
A new M+S (mud + snow) all season would destroy summer tires at a rallycross with the same car / driver combo.
My guess is we have a bunch of gentleman in turbo AWD cars, who are driving around on stock 18" rims, who can't find winter tires for them, and aren't about to replace brake calipers to fit 15" rims.🤔🧐

What are you running? What pressures did you have them at?

(I'm a pretty seasoned rallycrosser in SoCal) 😁
View attachment 3876
Ran at max tire pressure 44 psi. Guess I could have decreased pressure to get some better grip?

·
Achievement Unlocked!
882 Posts
Ran at max tire pressure 44 psi. Guess I could have decreased pressure to get some better grip?
Yep - possible - but you always risk a de-bead when going lower with Snow Tires. Try in 4-5psi increments down and see how they feel.
- Kris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts