Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys helped me out alot with the roof hole problem and I think it really turned out alot better because of it. Thank you all very much. I wanted to ask you about mudflaps and how to attach them. I got some urethane mud flaps so whats the best way to attach them and do they need to be a certain height off the ground? My biggest problem I think is that my rear fender is partly plastic, right where you would want to attach the flaps. Thanks for all the great info.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>You guys helped me out alot with the roof hole problem and I
>think it really turned out alot better because of it. Thank
>you all very much. I wanted to ask you about mudflaps and
>how to attach them. I got some urethane mud flaps so whats
>the best way to attach them and do they need to be a certain
>height off the ground? My biggest problem I think is that my
>rear fender is partly plastic, right where you would want to
>attach the flaps. Thanks for all the great info.

Personally I like brackets and rivets. That way when you rip it off, you don't do too much damage. It attaches higher to typically metal, then the bracket to attach lower. You don't want it too low, but the lower the front is the better your paint will hold up. But it also catches mud and adds weight if its too big a flap. I'd look at what some other cars have done and do what makes sense for your car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I see 2 kinds of mudflaps.

Ones that fall off and ones that are undestructible.

In theory the undestructible seem to be best but I feel that the fall off type are best.

The mudflap deforms but the body doesn`t.

So when I put on mudflaps I look for brackets that bend.
I will be trying a new style I saw recently.
They used mud flap material as the mounting bracket.
Cut small pieces 2 inch by 2 inch and screwed them to the fender.
Folded the piece in half and then attached the flap.
They used 2 on the side and I believe 1 or mabe 2 on the underside.

I mount my flaps about 2 inches from the lip of the fender, the flap sticks out from the car about 2 inches.
At present I use aluminum L brackets .5 inch wide and 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch , they are not very thick. I use 3 brackets on the sides and 2 underneath.

Every race I hammer them straight and occasionally replace the brackets. The mudflaps are attached to the brackets by nylon quick ties.

I always use the same pattern to cut the flaps and keep a complete set as spares.

When cutting the flaps look at the material and there is 2 sides, a shiny side and a dull side. I put the dull side facing the tire. When cutting right and left are a different pattern.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So sheet metal screws into the fender in 4-6 places, which is what I was planning on doing, is a no go then?

·
Registered
17 Posts
We used tractor trailer mudflaps ($4.50 for a 30" x 36" piece). Cut them down to size. Attached to the inner fenderwells with sheet metal screws, #10 x 3/4". 8-10 per flap.

-Justin

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
When I redid my mud flaps last year, I left them stick out about 2 inches. 2 rallies later I caught something with one of them and it bent the fender, not real bad but enough. Now I have then cut back so that at the top they are flush with the edge of the fender. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>So sheet metal screws into the fender in 4-6 places, which
>is what I was planning on doing, is a no go then?

That will work. I'd take our sugestions as how to do it after a rally or two (they usually have to be messed with at some time). By then you will have seen another setup or two and you should have more time to do a fancier job. If they are in the right place and firmly attached, you should be able to get through tech.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts