Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Quick question....

Of the current entries on the LSPR list, how many have direct ties to Michigan Tech as students/former students?

There was a thread on this back in January I think about the overall relationship between rallyists and MTU, but I'm interested in the current entries...

I need as many responses as I can get in the next two days or so. Thanks for the help.

Curtis

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
MTU from 94 to 98. Missed the first year POR cuz I didn't know what it was. After that I was hooked.

I think it's safe to say that MTU has graduated more rally drivers/codrivers than any other single learning institution in the US.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
84 Posts
Graduating December 2004 (still need a job!)

The first time I visited Tech was during the 2001 LSPR, but unfortunately the people I was with didn't know where to go to watch. At the moment there are 2 current Tech students, myself and Matt Himes, that are co-driving and of course a potential 000 car driven by Will.

-Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the type of stuff I'm looking for...

Awesome...

Anything quotable is outstanding...tell the other folks you know of to whom this topic applies to get on here...

Thanks!

Curtis

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
I went to tech for a semester. I didnt like it. Now I'm at NMU, much better :p Both of my parents work at tech too. I grew up in Houghton.

[hr]
[a href="http://myweb.nmu.edu/~cseidel"]Die Fliegen Legion[/a]

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Curtis-

You might want to expand your list to include both workers and crew. One year when I ran with Gail Truess (nee Hoult) (Forestry grad) we were eating dinner and had all the MTU grads join us. It became a HUGE table.

I have done a lot of "studying" at the Library.

I have 2 sons at MTU. Mike graduated this year, and Colin is a 2nd year student. Their birthdays are July 3 and August 10.

press on,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jimmy,

I kept most of the information that came from last winter's posts....which I thought encompassed a good amount of "outside the competition ranks"....good in terms of what I'm looking for. That's why I'm looking more at the competitors of the event this time around....

Also, for everybody, make sure you say what your connection to MTU is...

For the most part, those who have responded so far have, I'm just throwing it in there as a reminder.

Thanks!

Curtis

·
Registered
159 Posts
Chris Czyzio is an MTU Grad.
He has a unbeatable record going for the POR/LSPR.
He has finished everyone one he has entered.
Something like 15 or so.
He will know the real stat.

Steve Gingras

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have all you guys beat. I was at tech from 1992 until 2000. U can't touch this!!!!! I'm real, real smart.

Don't forget Matti Himmelainen, who is currently there.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hokay. Chris will probably pipe up here sometime today, but Whiteman and I were roomates in East Coed Hall (now McNair Hall). We both happened to mention on our room applications that we were into motocross and they put us together. I introduced Chris to POR the following fall and he ain't been right since. He had an S-10 pickup that he used to jump down Agate Street like a scene from Gone in 60 Seconds. I had a '66 Corvair that served as rally entertainment for more than a few friends on the rally roads and snowmobile trails up there after it had some body modifications courtesy of an old girlfriend (I'm not bitter). Very sideways and pendulum manuevers in a rear engine Corvair tend to be very exagerated.

Mark Buskirk (my old codriver and one of the organizers for Cadillac ClubRally) lived down the hall too. He runs his VW Golf occasionally. He will be either working this year or crewing for someone...maybe Colin McCleery.

Lurch

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I didn't go there long enough to be a doctor like Jake Himes but I went to Tech 1989 - 1993.

It is true that Lurch and I were roomies in Coed Hall. We were even very competitive at everything we did together then (mountain biking, skiing, motocross, etc). My first taste of rally was the 1989 POR held down in Escanaba, MI.

Lurch, Mark Buskirk, me and another friend drove down there in 2 cars with about 10 bucks between us. We followed the rally all night, pooled our money so we could eat and bought bread, bologna and cheese at the grocery store during a service break. After the rally was done for the night we slept in our cars in a rest area in Wisconsin (it snowed that night). The next day on the way back to Houghton, I ran out of gas and didn't have any money to get more. The good ole days!

While we were there I took this picture. It turns out that this is Doug Shepherd's car/crew. I had no idea that was him or who he was. I found out this year, while showing Doug some of my pictures. The rally world is small.

http://home.comcast.net/~motoman679/Shepherd_POR_1989.jpg

Chris Whiteman
Mopar Rally Team

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Dave Bogema was the other dude, Chris. I remember sleeping in his Jimmy all hopped up on bologna and Faygo. edit..not that it matters but this was the following year. Its all kind of a blur now.

Quote from Chris:
"It is true that Lurch and I were roomies in Coed Hall. We were even very competitive at everything we did together then (mountain biking, skiing, motocross, etc)."

...drinking...

I'll have to dig through my pics from that year and see if I have some of our young, innocent, pre-rally mugs. Chris had a mullet.:7

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmmmm Steve?

How many years did we sit next to each other and you didn't remember that I recieved status of dual citizenship Yooper back in 1988. Card presented to me directly from Carl Kieranen, who was also a Tech grad.

Attended Tech 1982 - 1988. Started working POR in 82? Drove my first POR in 1987 (and even finished :7 ) (yes, to those that might remember, I did drive at one time, looooong ago) Only missed 2 years since then.

Back this year sitting in the Right (ummmmm Left :p ) seat for Pete Lahm.

Bill Westrick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eric and I both went to Tech.
Eric in 83 & 84.
I went '82-'87 (BS in CS).

I started as a marshal in the ?82 POR, and have attended the event in one form or another almost every year since then?

POR/LSPR is my Tech homecoming.

That first year I got a huge poster from some Budweiser guys because I let them sit in my roommate?s truck - We were was marshalling the Spectator/Practice Stage on the stamp sands so we were able to park next to the course... and it it was really cold & windy. I asked 'em if they wanted to warm up in the truck and watch the cars and of course they did. It was obvious that they were involved w/ BUD because they all had on really neat Budweiser racing jackets. I asked for free beer in exchange for the heat, but they said they couldn?t do that, but I had been down at the "D" earlier and noticed this poster on the wall, so I asked them for that and they said sure, and when I got it at the worker's party I saw the Bud guys and got the poster. As I remember there was also free beer there too :)

Anyway, that poster is on my garage wall 22 years later?

Jay Efting.
Co-Driver #617.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ah yes.... the good o'le days of POR.

Tech grad from 1987 - 1991

I was brought into the sport of rallying by Eric "Lurch" Burmeister along with Chris Whiteman during the POR of '89 and '90. Like Chris said, we took 2 cars to Escanaba to watch the rally and ended up bombing down some of the non-live stages to get between spectator points and stand out in the woods. That was my first introduction to rally driving in the old mercury lynx trying to catch Chris in his S-10.

Mark Buskirk
CAR #554
VW GTi
http://www.webstratum.com/buzzracing/

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>POR/LSPR is my Tech homecoming.

Ditto. POR IS homecoming. POR and Sno*Drift (the original one, out of Grayling) WERE rallying to me. I had no idea when I was a kid that there was a whole national series, or that they ran in the desert, or that they ran in the mountains of Maine. I had no real comprehension of a World Championship, though by 1986 when JB was getting the GOOD Quattros and Jon got a 205T16 I knew I had some learning to do about the Euros.

Key things that stick out in my memory of POR.

-Jon Davis owned the Library (before the fire) and had a trophy case full of POR trophies, pictures, and articles in the back of the upstairs section.

-Going to a spectator point at 13 y.o. and seeing a HUGE bonfire across the road...a Techie party. Every car that came by was followed by several half inebriated students asking "Was that Buffum? I think THAT was Buffum."

-16 years old upstairs at the Dee stadium as John Buffum made his retirement speech. Very quiet. Many wet eyes. My dad was back sleeping at the hotel. I was a big kid. I drank for free that night. (APO, a service fraternity served free beer at the party back then).

-Hiding in the woods as the 0 car went by with a friend on one of the years when spectators were NOT allowed period.

-Taking my Tech friends to see rallying and infecting them with the bug.

-Running Brockway the first time.

-Running Brockway the first time on notes.

-The people who have helped me get to the finish. Colin with a deep cycle battery when the alternator died, Matt's glass shop last year when we needed a windshield transplant at 5am., my crews, etc.

-Enjoying the spectating when I didn't finish.

-Fishbowls.

-Keeping Matt Johnson from jumping the fence when he wanted to try to swim across Portage lake after a few too many fishbowls.

-And several other moments that I can't talk about here...need to check the statute of limitations.

POR just feels like my rally home.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went to Tech once... once.

Memorable Tech rally experiences for me..
Thursday Night Club with Jake being pulled out of the ditch a few times, Almost running Petes swift out of gas
Almost rolling petes swift

Rolling my Fiesta on Mengie creek rd. before the 1995 POR

Dave
Car 591

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jerry Brownell -- MTU grad 1989

I got hooked on POR in 1984 when my roommate and I went out and spectated a couple stages in the middle of the night. We worked Donken-Tapiola as part of the finish control crew the next year.

In 1988, my co-driver, Jim Windsor and I were both working at WHUH (now "the Wolf"). Jim chased the rally on Saturday night as a reporter, and I was back in the studio making $3.35/hr. The next day we both reported from the northern stages and actually secretly worked the finish control at the same time because the crew didn't show up and we had experience. After the event, we agreed "we can do this", and set off with a plan to rally after graduation. It took us 10 years to actually do it.

That year, BTW, a couple of women showed up rallying a Chevy Citation. We laughed. I had a Citation up there the winter before and I know how much the rear liked to pass the front. Turns out the driver was Gail Truess, the car was built by Guy Light, and they finished very well. We now own that Citation (named Oskar), though it is not the one we'll be competing in. Oskar is still in my garage with the axle out of it after we pretty much removed it midway though Gratiot lake in 2001.

Strangely enough, we never sought out Oskar. Oskar found us. In November 1999 we were searching for a prepared Golf, because everyone seemed to have one at the time. Paul Truess was at Colin McCleery's place issuing a logbook to a Golf they had just finished preparing and he offered this odd X-body car to us because Gail was running the Mazda and they were moving to South Carolina and didn't want to have to move the Citation.

Freaky.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts