Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
If money were no object
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about mounting my seats and I am wondering what the preferred attachment method is.
The seats are Sparco with brackets, no sliders.
Do I attach the brackets to the floor or do I attach the brackets to fab braces between the tower and rocker then bolt the brackets to that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
>I am thinking about mounting my seats and I am wondering
>what the preferred attachment method is.
>The seats are Sparco with brackets, no sliders.
>Do I attach the brackets to the floor

As in bolted to the typical thin sheet metal floor? This will flex, you will get fatigue cracks around the bolt holes, and in a worst case impact the seat could tear loose.

or do I attach the
>brackets to fab braces between the tower and rocker then
>bolt the brackets to that?

If you run tube from one door sill to the other you will have a very secure mounting platform.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
does that thang have anything resembling a tunnel or lump in the middle? I use, and reccomend UNI-Strut, you know, shelving stuff that has a purpose made profile, for strength, and is punched thru with nice oval holes making fine tuning seat posiition easy.
Did you look in the GpA Ford when you were here? A small spreader plate of 2x2 inch about .0625 is welded to the sill and the tunnel to re-enforce the mounting position of the Uni-strut.
Got the picture? Per side two sections going east west, perf, and then your runners spanning them north south.

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
87 Posts
I welded 2 plates to the floor and then welded the brackets to the plates. Bolting would maybe have been easier.

I wanted my weight as low and as far back as possible. My helmet was pretty close to the cage. I also shifted the seat towards the center of the car.

I suggest before you install the bracket , get a couple pieces of wood and put them on the floor , put the seat in the car and try it out. You might find it is better being lower.

But.... make sure you can see in front of the car.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts