Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite a half mm of rain today, the fire danger rating is still extreme, and still predicted to remain extreme for the rest of this week. I promised to make a final determination by today, so that people could change their travel plans, and unfortunately this has to be it.

By tomorrow, we'll determine if there is any chance of running delayed by 1 or 2 weeks, or if we're looking at after PFR.

I wish it weren't so, but we have to keep the long-term viability of the sport in mind, and starting a major blaze would not do.
 

·
Aaron Neumann
Joined
·
267 Posts
Sad to hear but totally understandable.

I just wanted to remind you that 2 weeks from now would put it on the same weekend as Baie which means Onur could not participate. What are the odds he'd let me use the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Just came through Merritt with the new block from Squamish because registration is Friday.... got soaked with two very large thundershowers! Sadly just isolated and the rest of the sky was cloudless. The car will be running when the event can go ahead though.

We will be there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
well, hey, if there's already some time set aside and there's no chance of a rebooking in the next few weeks, there's lots of fun stuff to do in sunny Kelowna this weekend... beach, wineries, etc, if anyone is in the mood for a holiday.

also, if the event can't be rescheduled, i'd certainly be interested in opinions on the options for upgrading the Big White Rally Weekend at the end of the year.

hopefully if there is a new date in the next few weeks, we'll get a few more teams out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By tomorrow, we'll determine if there is any chance of running delayed by 1 or 2 weeks, or if we're looking at after PFR.
It looks pretty clear that there are too many individual schedule conflicts to make a short delay practical, as well as no guarnatee of exactly when the fire danger will drop, so our next window of opportunity will be after PFR - and yes, I do like the idea of a true snow-conditions performance rally!
 

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
It looks pretty clear that there are too many individual schedule conflicts to make a short delay practical, as well as no guarnatee of exactly when the fire danger will drop, so our next window of opportunity will be after PFR - and yes, I do like the idea of a true snow-conditions performance rally!
As in the Sunday immediately after PFR? (everyone will be there already :) )
 

·
Rally Organizer/ Co-Driver
Joined
·
389 Posts
I came to Merritt this weekend anyhow to visit family, and I could not be more thankful that the club decided to cancel the event. On Thursday night after my arrival lightening strikes started two small fires just out side of the city limits. I have talked to many people within the community and everyone thinks that the club made an awesome decision on canceling the event. It sucks for the racers but has put the club in a very positive light.

I was scheduled to do an interview with the Merritt radio station on Tuesday about the event and had to cancel this, however I have worked it out that they would like to do interviews starting in September to build local support for PFR! This means more local volunteers (low cost) and more spectators!

I really hope to see everyone in October!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Unfortunately, after this week I am not going to have enough vacation this fall to come out to BC and spend a whole week there again. If we could run the event the day after PFR (Sunday) then I might be inclined to stay and run it (provided the car is up for it). If not, then I'll be choosing either PFR or the revised Mtn. Trials, but not likely going to be able to do both. JC
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top