Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this whole situation really ironic, and here's why...

So to satisfy my curiosity I watch the "Drift Bible" video last night by Keiichi the "Drift King" going through the basic drift moves, technique, practice etc. Somewhat interesting, and a decent video, at least these guys are actually interested in handling & performance as opposed to the "bling bling" crowd (at one point before a demo it scrolls some text including "no neon, no nawzz" or something to that effect across the screen). They explained that the whole thing is really just weight transfer (although they kept it simple to front-back transfer, not corner to corner). Sound familiar yet?

Many of the moves like the "feint" are directly from rally, or at least are common in rally. The "feint" drift is just the "Swedish flick" - a direct copy. Hmm interesting I thought.

Then I watched a sequence on the video with Toshi Arai in a Subaru Impreza WRC "drifting" around a road circuit and it dawned on me...

DRIFTING is a Japanese pasttime that has sprung up as a DIRECT RESULT of Japanese WRC driver-hero-worship, combined with the fact that they don't have hardly any gravel roads = so they copied the techniques onto tarmac. That's my theory anyway. Tommi Makinen is on the same level as Beckham and the Emperor over there from what I've read.....

I mean what other reason would there be to do it? Its not the fastest way to get around a tarmac circuit.

Now here's the funny part....

The SCCA and others are promoting a sport that was caused by a lack of gravel - in a country with tons of gravel and an under-appreciated sport which was the inspiriation for the new "fad" in the first place!!

At least, I thought it was funny.
Funny-laugh-until-you-cry funny, not ha-ha funny :+

Skye

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Skye,

I think you could make a fortune if you create and promote a national drifting series in dirt stadia. It's the natural outgrowth of standard drifting, and will allow for even more fantastic moves.

I'm serious.

- Christian

(Don't like drifting so much, but still...)

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
too bad you and Lauchlin didnt run at the OFPR rally fest. mark u. set up the course to have two big drift corners for all to see. i ran in the rallyx exhibition first and it was alot of fun. but more fun to watch ramana and david slide through there w/huge gravel spray knocking cones over! the crowd loved it!

rallyx could be enhanced into something like this w/some carefull course setup. now i dont want to steal rallyx but i am saying that something new could be added to the mix because i dont have enough hobbies sucking up all my money yet!

greg

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
I've been working on promoting next year's Perforce Software Rally Sprint as a "Dirt Drifting" event for the reasons already cited. Maybe we'll draw in some more competitors to our sport, even if we have to give it a different label to introduce them.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
It already exists...it is called dirt track racing. Now, just get all the American red necks off the track for a bunch of imports and tuners to show up. Good luck, the dirt trackers are dyed-in-the-wool American purists. I can say red neck becasue, by and large, I AM one! lol I also married into a largely ******* family that does allot of dirt tracking. Purely American and snub their nose at imports and everything related. It isn't smart, but a fact of life in lots of places.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is only one event in this country that puts on the "cross over" event everyone is basically talking about. The Super Special Stage at the Ramada Express Rally in Laughlin NV.

Actually.......

You could combine the two forms together where you only have one course, not two side by side. Run it both for time and have a panel of judges to score skill and finese. Have trophy/payout for time and one award for "skill/finese" .

Just a thought.

Jim

G

·
Ok, the drifting thing is becoming a monster!

After a hard day yesterday of reading SS posts, I get home and flop in the chair for some TV time... I'm flipping around and they have a piece on drifting on CNN Headline news for chrissakes!!!

"blah blah Iraq blah blah Bush blahblah Kobe Bryant blah Senate Fillabuster blah STAY TUNED FOR THE HOTTEST CRAZE IN MOTORSPORTS!"

They have a reporter with translater talking to some Japaneese drifting champ and then goes into tires, cars that are popular and onandon and the reporter makes a point twice of "This is a corporate
dream" and "Drifting is drawing HUUGE sponsorship money" like sponsers are standing in lines with checks in hands....ug.

The thing that pissed me off was how honestly jealous I was about this and after reading numerous posts lately about this and then coming home and seeing drifting on g.d.CNN just had me shaking my head. I drank until the Rally GB re-air came on. (just kidding)

My personal conclusion: Drifting might be the fad de jour, but fads fade and drifting cannot get around one concrete fact:

YOU CANNOT "WIN" A MOTORSPORT EVENT THAT IS JUDGED FOR "STYLE"- NO NO NO. THIS IS A SHOWOFF EVENT. IT MIGHT BE FUN TO WATCH, BUT I DON'T CONSIDER THIS A MOTORSPORT EVENT ANY MORE THAN A ^*@*!*? NOPI BIKINI CONTEST.

grrrr.

http://www.treesandturtles.com/
;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
RE: Moron drifting

>It's skateboarding with cars.

now... is that when you skate in busy streets... cause let me tell you... it isn't fun. You can get hurt on your board when you skate with moving vehicles.

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
426 Posts
RE: Moronic drifting

That looks more like a car rodeo than a drifting contest, and that goofball jumping in and out of cars was the rodeo clown. Throw some cow pies on the track and make them all wear chaps.... yeeeeehaawwww!

·
Registered
13 Posts

For whatever it's worth to those who may or may not be interested...

I decided not to drift my 240 and instead turn it into a rally car...

And then I was "convinced" to sell the 240 and just buy a rally car, which I am now in the process of doing.

Oh, and I'm also on a drift forum here in MN, and I have made it a point to tell everyone how cool rally is. Some just shrug it off, but a few went up to OFPR this year, and now they're hooked. I'm not trying to convert everyone to rally, but now at least they know more about it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Maybe Mitsubishi is now going to enter a team in the SCCA Formula Drift championship?

(ha ha ha, well ok that smarts a bit)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
RE: Tarmac express video

Drifting is so NOT NEW!

Try growing up in northern Canada - we have "drift tracks" for 5 months of the year - It's called WINTER!
:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm suprised so many rally people are just now discovering drift. Most of the rally fans I know (like myself) got into rally racing because they were already big drift fans. It's just a skill competition using skills brought over from rally, autoX, touring, and touge. Racing is to drift as airlines are to the Blue Angels. http://www.drifting.com

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
> Racing is to drift as
>airlines are to the Blue Angels.

Oh, why am I up at 3.48 in the morning. So I could read this in almost real-time. (Note to self - breathe, stop holding aching sides, wipe tears...)

I am dying to see the SAT syllogisms that the Specialstage denizens come up with.

How about "Drifting, the dressage of motorsport."

- Christian "Dig my fancy d1 tophat" Edstrom

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

1 - 20 of 41 Posts