Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was accidentally deleted, so I am reposting it. Sorry!

Widget Codriver wrote:

TOPEKA, Kan. (Nov. 14, 2003) - Mitsubishi Motors North America, the 2003 SCCA® ProRallySM Manfacturers and Overall Drivers Champion, announced today that it is withdrawing from all motorsports competition in 2004.
The move comes as Mitsubishi Motors cited the need to focus its resources on continuing to grow its brand and build retail sales.

In a statement released by the company, Mitsubishi said that ?racing enthusiasts saw the formidable capabilities of the Lancer Evolution which brings a new North American chapter to Mitsubishi?s impressive performance heritage.?

?We want to thank Mitsubishi for their contributions to the SCCA ProRally Championship and to the overall growth of rallying in the United States,? said Steve Johnson, SCCA President and CEO. ?While we are disappointed that Mitsubishi will no longer be participating in the Championship, we recognize that factory-backed efforts do not last forever, regardless of what type of racing is involved.

?The existence of the SCCA ProRally Championship is larger than any one team,? Johnson continued. ?And it will continue with a solid schedule and strong contingent of teams for the 2004 season.?

Even though the withdrawal will have a slight impact on the Partnership Bonus Program, which was presented to organizers during the first-ever rally organizer summit in October, the program will remain as part of the SCCA?s increased efforts to enhance rally events in 2004.

The 2004 SCCA ProRally Championship is set to begin January 31 with the Sno*Drift ProRally in Atlanta, Mich.

-30-
Mitsubishi Official Media Statement: www.scca.com/news/press03_148.html

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Widget Codriver wrote:

I for one shall miss racing against those fabulous red cars and wonderful crews.

Best of luck, guys, in your future endeavors.

G

·
Subaru wins 2004 SCCA ProRally Championship

It's a done deal. Everyone else can go home.

I can't blame Kurt for resigning. No one wants
to be the last rat off a sinking ship.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Dave! Go ahead and say it: " I TOLD YOU SO,BRUCE !!!

Bruce: I guess you owe David a PUBLIC apology. Guess you are not so much in the loop as you thought you were. Shows you the lowsy communication channels existing within SCCA, when even a non-SCCA member knows more about what is happening to the SCCA PRORALLY championship than a member of it's board!

I offer we just send the MFG's championship trophy to Subaru of America now and save them all the money they would have spent in next year's championship. It would be a hollow victory to race against themselves. (No offence AFR, but your tiny Focus is no match to the mighty SUBARUS) Although, they can race for exhibition purposes if they want.

Carlos Lopez
E.T. Racing

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hyundai wins Manufacturer championship, next year gone.
Mitsubishi wins Manufacturer championship, next year gone.
Subaru better get with the 21st century, win next year with no competition, then gone.

DHiggins in a Focus? Third Championship in 3 years in 3 different cars? Perhaps. I'm not sure Lauchlin is fast enough for Greg yet.

When the Manufacturers stop supporting ProRally and start sponsoring Golf tournaments... Then it will be 2004.

I guess John Buffum is even smarter than I already thought.

G

·
RE: Subaru wins 2004 SCCA ProRally Championship

>Ooh, err, I wonder how the new series sponsor will feel
>about this...?

Michelin? Maybe they'll come back.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
RE: Subaru wins 2004 SCCA ProRally Championship

Hope it wasn't Mitsubishi... x(

Kent Gardam

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, but all I see is Bruce asking to see a little more evidence than a rumor. I don't see anything claiming that all the manufacturers are on board for next year. Unless I missed that statement, please point it out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>Hey Dave! Go ahead and say it: " I TOLD YOU SO,BRUCE !!!
>
>Bruce: I guess you owe David a PUBLIC apology

Phooey! I was ragging on Dave because he was passing around a rumor without citing any source whatever. The fact that the rumor turned out to be true doesn't matter in the least. The manufacturers don't check with me before making business decisions, and I never claimed to be "in the loop" on that sort of thing. I will continue to berate people who pass around rumors without quoting sources.

It is curious that Mitsubishi participated actively in the "ProRally Business Summit" a few weeks ago, then announced their departure from the series...

Bruce

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
One CEO two Rally programs out the door

One CEO, two rally programs. Finbar O'Brian strikes again.

It should be noted that Mitsubishi's withdrawal had nothing to do with the state of rally, the cost of rally,or because of Kurt Spitzner, but because the company is in financial turmoil. Mitsubishi lost something like 700-800 million in the first 6 months of the year and I have heard there may be major layoffs. A new CEO was brought in to clean it up and it makes perfect sense to cut motorsports first. This would have happened regardless of which motorsport Mitsubishi was involved in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
RE: One CEO two Rally programs out the door

Ja. I concur. Mitsubishi USA seems to be in desperate need of seeming responsible. I'm not sure their tack will work. They need promotion, but with the exception of the Evo and some lingering SUV success, their product line is boring crap. There have been some exciting styling exercises in the last couple years, but without any "serious" cars, they might as well be Toyota, only without the good reputation and fat wad of cash in the bank.

I hate Toyota. They seem determined to become the Buick of Japan. Another decade of their success as the Buick of Japan will take the heart out of their engineering folks and they'll become as crappy as GM and Ford. The same thing is starting to happen to Honda. Without genuine exuberance to a product line, a company is dead. It may continue to gain market share (Toyota is 2nd in the world at this moment, ahead of Ford), but it's the ballistic arc of a pre-silicon rocket. Size can keep a company in motion for a long time, but once its edge is gone, it's just the same crap everyone else produces.

andy

·
Registered
366 Posts
RE: One CEO two Rally programs out the door

>One CEO, two rally programs. Finbar O'Brian strikes again.
>
>It should be noted that Mitsubishi's withdrawal had nothing
>to do with the state of rally, the cost of rally,or because
>of Kurt Spitzner, but because the company is in financial
>turmoil. Mitsubishi lost something like 700-800 million in
>the first 6 months of the year and I have heard there may be
>major layoffs. A new CEO was brought in to clean it up and
>it makes perfect sense to cut motorsports first. This would
>have happened regardless of which motorsport Mitsubishi was
>involved in.

Morgan is correct on this. Finbar O'Brian axed the Hyundai rally program-moved to Mitsubishi and bang same thing. Saw this one coming, heard rumors it would happen. There goes the single make "Lancer" series too one would think!

Funny thing is motorsport is a great way to promote your product and improve it-R&D and sales all rolled into one. Especially with the interests of the people looking to buy these cars, what a better way to promote the "Flagship" product-rally the rally car, wow what a novel idea. :(

1 - 20 of 63 Posts