Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on www.autoklub.pl website. The lastest news article suggests that Italian motorsport e-zine claims that there are rumors that Mitsubishi may be withdrawing from the WRC next year. Of course, this would leave Gigi without a drive. The magazine apparently suggests that a press communication will be released tomorrow in this regard. If this is true, this leaves only Subaru and Ford as full works WRC teams. The series is not healthy!!

I don't intend to spread gossip, just reporting what I read.

Simon

Source: www.sportautomoto.it

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
It's now up on RallyLive.com...

Tim

[14/12/05 - 09:35]

Mitsubishi suspend WRC programme
Tentative 2008 return scheduled

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) has announced that it has decided to suspend participation in the FIA World Rally Championship series from 2006.

With the Mitsubishi Motors Revitalization Plan as a basis, MMC has made a solid start toward revitalizing its business operations. However, to strengthen and build upon this base, MMC realizes that it must focus management resources on the continued promotion of the revitalization plan.

Mitsubishi Motors hopes to return to the WRC Championship series from 2008, after the completion of the 3-year revitalization plan, which covers fiscal 2005 to 2007.

This decision however does not extend to MMC's efforts in the Dakar Rally. Mitsubishi Motors will continue to compete in this event.

Starting with an overall championship in the Safari Rally in 1974, the Mitsubishi WRC Team has accomplished a spectacular 34 wins in the WRC series. The team won the drivers' title 4 consecutive years from 1996 to 1999, and won the prestigious manufacturers' title in 1998.

Press Release
Mitsubishi

-- edit to add --

And WRC.com...

Mitsubishi suspends WRC programme

Gigi Galli - MitsubishiMitsubishi is to suspend its participation in the World Rally Championship as it concentrates on the revitalisation of its core business. The Japanese manufacturer has declared an intention to return to the championship in 2008, when its current business plan is complete.

Mitsubishi's unexpected decision comes after a successful 2005 re-building season, which ended with an excellent second place on Rally Australia for Harri Rovanpera.

Mitsubishi's statement reads: "With the Mitsubishi Motors Revitalization Plan as a basis, MMC has made a solid start toward revitalizing its business operations. However, to strengthen and build upon this base, MMC realizes that it must focus management resources on the continued promotion of the revitalization plan.

"Mitsubishi Motors hopes to return to the WRC Championship series from 2008, after the completion of the 3-year revitalization plan, which covers fiscal 2005 to 2007."

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
I'm continually amazed by Mitsubishi's inability to grasp even the most basic concepts of branding/marketing. Who do they think their competition is, Buick? Amazing, simply amazing....

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
510 Posts
From the Rally World magazine website, as well as all of the above, it also includes this little tidbit:

"Registrations for the 2006 manufacturers’ championship provisionally close on December 15 and entries for Monte Carlo the following day. Since the registration system tentatively started in 1993, never has there been such a poor manufacturer support for the series. The large reduction in manufacturer support for World Rally Car competition opens the door for the FIA to replace the World Rally Cars at short notice by another formula. The favorite is Super 2000 in which no fewer than six manufacturers are known to be actively involved at this time, all six being companies not currently active in the WRC."

What exactly is "Super 2000"?

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Oh man, what a hot WRC for 2006!
Privateers against Factory drivers.
I'm betting on the "Underdogs".
Well, Loeb could probably take a Yugo and win the championship, but there is some turmoil for 2006.
Subaru and Ford against the rest of the world.
And then there is Michelin out of the race and BF Goodridge taking their spot. :+

Whiplash Rallye Sport
(Rallying is not a crime)

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>
>What exactly is "Super 2000"?
>

Search the car construction forum here on SS, as there was a discussion about them a month or two ago. Otherwise, a recent copy of Racecar Engineering (the greatest magazine ever) had a good article on them.

In short they are 2.0l, NA, about 270hp with a sky high redline (think touring car motor). The cars run a spec 6 speed sequential gearbox, and a spec awd system with all mechanical diffs. Unobtanium is banned, things like uprights need to be common on all four corners, etc... As fast as an N car, but way more exciting, and open to any manufacturer as it's homologated in Group A. Not as fast and cool as WRC cars, but 1/3 the cost and way less development needed.

Personally, I think 16 rounds spread over 5 continents and 3 distinctly different surfaces has more to do with the problem than car spec.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>I dunno, do they?
>I guess Dennis's view of sky-high rpms and mine differ.
>:)

Yes, indeed. 40mm restricted turbo motor tops out at about 6500 if you're lucky. 34mm ones top about 5500. I saw 8000 something once when I panicked on a downshift and jammed the car into second way early.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Man, turbo cars are weak.

I don't call blasting FOUR big fatty Michelins through three gears and 60mph in under 5 seconds at the start line weak. :)

Regardless, if you have a heart, and it's still beating, you want a Super 2000 car. They are "uber-cool" (is that correct Matt?).

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 20 of 20 Posts