Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from Autosport.com

Mitsubishi has announced a reorganisation of its motorsport business, after a disastrous season campaigning the Lancer WRC in 2002.

Ralliart Europe will continue to run the cars, but will do so under the supervision of Mitsubishi Motorsport, a new company formed by the Japanese manufacturer to oversee all its motorsport activities.

This season Mitsubishi scored only nine points and finished joint bottom of the WRC manufacturers standings, tied with Skoda. It was the team's first full season campaigning the WRC-spec Lancer, which has replaced its highly successful Group A machines.

Speaking of the team's current form, Mitsubishi senior vice-president Ulrich Walker said: "We are concerned. I am more than nervous about the current situation. For a couple of years we have been winning, and maybe one of the reasons [why Mitsubishi had a poor season] was they have had too much success in the past. If you have too much success you forget the competition."

"The Colt is currently under a very detailed study"
Sven Quandt

"But we are committed to the WRC for three to five years," he added. "However, we have to win within three to five years and for me that means to be in the top three manufacturers."

The company also revealed that it was considering switching from running the Lancer to a Colt WRC. The head of Mitsubishi Motorsport, Sven Quandt, said: "We are investigating everything. The Colt is currently under a very detailed study, we are asking what will be all the consequences for this car, on the engineering side and on the marketing side. But we also know that in the WRC, the Lancer has a heritage, especially in Japan. We expect to make a decision within the next four months."

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why not, Ford is going to the Fiesta and Skoda is going with the Felicia. If the FIA is going to give Puegueot an exception to run a smaller than legal car, what is good for one should be good for all. Maybe Subaru will go to the Justy instead of the Impreza. Even though the Justy is not the Justy that we once received.
Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: Mitsubishi to run

This, IMHO is the best looking car Mitsubishi has ever produced/built!

·
Registered
116 Posts

I wonder if it's track is widened and wheelbase lengthed "a la WRC206" from the production model.

R. Lima

·
Registered
229 Posts

Definately is. Just when we get the Evo VII, they switch it.. great. But that's a pretty cool car. We do need some smaller cars in the US.

·
Registered
113 Posts

As I recall, Mitsubishi/Ralliart lost alot of friends when they switched from the VR-4 to the Evo at short notice. As I remember most of the VR-4 Ralliart components were buried in a landfill so competitors were virtually forced to switch to the Evo.

Should Mitzi put all their attention into the Colt, how is a whole tier (the level below WRC that are fortunate enough to have the support to run Evo 6, 6.5 or VII) going to feel about their investment in the Marque???

What is the old saying?.........Screw me once, its your fault, screw me a second time, its MY fault.

Such a decision could come back to haunt Mitsubishi

Don

·
Registered
87 Posts
RE: ...been winning for 6 years

That combination was quite popular in Japan.
Colt or Mirage Cyborg RA with the EVO driveshaft/engine , actually the whole EVO1,2,3 but with the lightweight Mirage body.
It is very twitchy , so it will definitely need a longer wheelbase.

The 2wd Mivec version can`t keep up with the Honda Vtec , a bit sad because I prefer driving the Mitsu.

The saddest part of it was that these frankenstein`s weren`t allowed on the Japanese roads. So I don`t know how they would be as a rallycar.

Checkout some of my photos of Japanese DirtTrial Racing.
Still learning about digital and computer stuff, so please forgive me for the poor pixs. My car is there too. As I learn maybe I can scan in some photos from past events and rallies.

Robert VanLane
http://www.pbase.com/rvl/

·
Registered
4 Posts
You said Justy...he...he...he...Me in a new Justy...with speed parts...turbocharger...real suspension...factory support...mmmm
Doh!

Waking up from dream,
Matthew Bos

·
Registered
250 Posts

It looks like some sort of "riced out" Civic. Does it come with a stereo you can hear 3 miles away too?

Greg,
Crew Chief
1989 GTX #291

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts