Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mitsubishi withdraws
23 Jul, 09:25

Mitsubishi has confirmed rumours that it will pull out of the World Rally Championship following the Deutschland Rally at the end of August.

The withdrawal is described as a temporary measure to enhance development of the car and cut costs. It will mean that the Japanese company will miss the first World Championship rally in its homeland, which takes place in early September.

?The focus for the remainder of the season will be to develop the Lancer WRC. Mitsubishi Motors will use one or two selected European rallies as an intensive test and development platform for the Lancer WRC. The new WRC programme for 2004 will not affect Mitsubishi Motors? long-term programme to the FIA World Rally Championship until 2006,? a press statement claimed.

© Copyright worldrallynews.com 2000-2004

·
Registered
374 Posts
I thought I read that they were going to come out with the Colt WRCar in a couple years anyway... maybe this will just lead to that vehicle debut

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I thought I read that they were going to come out with the
>Colt WRCar in a couple years anyway... maybe this will just
>lead to that vehicle debut

When they were away from the WRC the last time (last year), the choice for the next WRC platform was between the Lancer and the Colt. That was decided in favor of the Lancer (obviously), so I doubt if they are going to change that in six months - assuming that Mitsubishi is in the financial state to come back at all.

...and then there were four...
Adrian

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Mitsubishi has actuallly been bailed out of it's financial problems by a private Japanese firm and the Japanese government. They are going to restructure the company and I wouldn't put any money on them staying in the WRC or leaving (talking long term). On another note, I've heard rumours of Renault and Seat talking about building an AWD platform to get into Group A.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
The Renault rumor is gaining strength as they openly stated they were exploring the possibility and now there are reports of Nissan Motors engineers (mainly ones that have worked on Nissans AWD ATTESSA system and on teh micra platform) have been moved to facilities outside of Japan and rumored to be France.

For those that are going uh, this means what? Renault actaully owns approx. 47% of Nissan and platform and personnel changes are part of the reason for the bounce back of Nissan from financial uncertaintity.
It is also said Nissan has expressed a great interest as they hope to possibly use the platform in its line up as the next sentra or possibly a replacement for the Sentra in its line up. If Nissan continues its factory efforts in US racing it will almost surely be behind the sentra or whatever repalces it....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts