Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

Rumours have been floating around that Mitsubishi has dropped Rhys from it driver line up in 2003. To stir up the rumour mill, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about possible driver replacements for next season. Do you guys & gals think that they will give Lauchlin O'Sullivan the works open class ride? or maybe bring in another "foreigner" from England? Any news or gossip will be greatly appreciated.

Hyundai will probably find itself in the same shoes? Mark Higgins has been pretty openly searching for a works ride in the BRC or WRC? Has anyone heard of a possible replacement? maybe Richard Tuthill?

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
ralleyart uk and vermont sportscar are doing the mitsu thing next year and there will not be an american driver on the team
just the facts jack

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Actually, it is Coordsport (unless they where bought out by Ralliart)and Vermont Sportscar, and word has it they are bringing two foreign drivers

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You missed the gossip for this season! As of the end of last year, Vermont Sportscar and Subaru parted ways.

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Last I heard, the Mitsubishi-VT Sports Car deal was still in the works, nothing definite. And Rhys Millen was definitely not a part of the deal; word is that Mitsu is generally not happy with working with RMR and is ending that relationship regardless of what happens with VT Sports Car.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland
"Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else." -- Isaiah 45:22

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's what we need! More foreign talent! No need to encourage good American drivers (like the brothers Havas) when we can just try to buy a championship instead of growing the sport. Pretty soon rally will be as popular as CART racing (by the way, which Brazilian is doing well now, haven't felt a need to watch a race in years).

Sorry, but this is a rant that has been brewing for a while...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You should know that Subaru and Hyundai have a gentlemans agreement to keep at least one American on the team. They realize having two foreigners would be alienating the American rally community. Unfortunately, as rumor has it, Mitsubishi has not come to there senses yet.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am probably in the minority here, but I like the foreign drivers. From what I see rally in the US is in a similar place that motocross was in the US in the mid-late '70's. We were second rate, and unprofessional compared to the riders from europe. They came over here to ride an off season series called the Trans-AMA that was set up purposely so they could race over here in the US. For years they, Roger DeCoster, Harry Everts, and others, came over to the US and trounced us. They beat us soooo bad that they forced us to become more professional. Our guys trained harder, prepared their equipment better, and started conducting themselves like professional teams. As a result of this we became, starting with the '81 Motocross de Nations, sort of the Olympics of motocross, (we won something like 15 years in a row) and are still, the most dominant motocross power in the world. This would never have happened, or would have taken much longer, had the europeans not come over and shown us how bad we were, and what we had to do to beat them.

This can happen for US rally too if we take the attitude that the europeans are a target to shoot for, and to learn from instead of blaming them for being better than us.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Brian-

Please, this level headed, logical attitude will only cause problems for you in life... :)

Now lets get back to some flaming rants....

Russ

>This can happen for US rally too if we take the attitude
>that the europeans are a target to shoot for, and to learn
>from instead of blaming them for being better than us.

·
Registered
768 Posts
.......didn't know there were so many native Indians in rallying....or are they bastards who don't know their parents?

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
This would never have happened, or would have taken
>much longer, had the europeans not come over and shown us
>how bad we were, and what we had to do to beat them.
>
>This can happen for US rally too if we take the attitude
>from instead of blaming them for being better than us.

Hear hear!

Wilson

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Plesk. Lauchlin deserves to stay on the team.
His performance this year was incredible.

Two words--- Pikes Peak}>

·
Registered
276 Posts
exactly, I don't want to see an American in a pro team 'cause he's American but 'cause he's good.
Do you want the best driver racing Pro or what?
If Mitsu want to bring Euro, fine try to beat them first and after you can complain.
Stephan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe there is more than enough talent in North America to take SCCA championships, but it also takes funding. Without enough funding, the finest drivers will find it difficult to mount a sucessful campaign, and for the moment that seems to be with factory teams. I applaud the effort of AV Sport, and hope they can continue their success, but it will be hard to beat a factories deep pockets.
Wouldn't you like to see what Kemp, Jardevall, Havas, & a host of others could do with full rides? I'm sure there are many other names more deserving that could be added to the list (and I welcome your suggestions), but it seems to me they were too quickly dismissed in lieu of European talent. It's nice to say

">This can happen for US rally too if we take the attitude
>from instead of blaming them for being better than us. "

but without adequate funding, it's a pipe dream.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts