Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Workers-

THANK YOU for being out there (in dust, and heat, and dust, and rocks, and dust ...).

EVERY time that I thanked a control worker for being there, THEY in turn thanked me (wow!). Of course I (fortunately) did not get to thank the mid-stage marshalls, so here goes.

These are efficient, friendly and capable folks.

press on,

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
Let me add my thanks to those of Jimmy's. All the workers thanked me in return as well, but a huge thanks to those I couldn't or didn't get a chance to greet personally.
Peter Watt (Car 947)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The workers, to a man/woman, were friendly and very enthusiastic. They helped make the slogan, "We always have fun." true. It was a bit of a shock, though, to find only four people standing when JB got to the end of "if you were part of Pro Rally when...", eh, Jimmy?

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
> It was a bit of a shock, though, to find only
>four people standing when JB got to the end of "if you were
>part of Pro Rally when...", eh, Jimmy?

Maybe the rest of them couldn't stand
:+ . I made it to the 76' cutoff!

BTW, did Ted organize JB's first rally back in 63??

The workers enjoy the action as much as the comp teams and we also enjoy seeing the "high" on their faces after each run. Lots of newbie workers tell me that they want to work a midstage point; I enjoy the starts and finishes!
Jim Blumenfeld
W1JIM

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
I asked John Buffum if we could spectate on SS4, Concord Pond. He said sure if you work, which was OK with us.

We ended up on a fantastic right over crest. We had about 50 spectators at this location. All of them were locals, who have cottages/camps nearby and come out every year to spectate.

In general, I could not have asked for a better group of people. They were courtious, polite and asked me more questions that I could answer.

I was happy with their positions on the corner, but would have preferred that they were moved back about another 10 feet. When Pat came through as car 1 (which really impressed me), I had fifty people on the move deeper into the woods, before Pat disappeared!

Doug Woods

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>It was a bit of a shock, though, to find only
>four people standing when JB got to the end of "if you were
>part of Pro Rally when...", eh, Jimmy?

Joe:

Yes, that was very interesting.

The date was 1973, and the four people left standing were you, Jimmy, Doug S. and me. I guess we also have to include John since he was standing on the stage!

It was really great to talk to you, Jimmy and Doug at the rally.

Do you think we will still be standing when John does this at the 2014 MPR. ;)

Doug Woods

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
>>It was a bit of a shock, though, to find only
>>four people standing when JB got to the end of "if you were
>>part of Pro Rally when...", eh, Jimmy?
>
>Joe:
>
>Yes, that was very interesting.
>
>The date was 1973, and the four people left standing were
>you, Jimmy, Doug S. and me. I guess we also have to include
>John since he was standing on the stage!
>
>It was really great to talk to you, Jimmy and Doug at the
>rally.
>
>Do you think we will still be standing when John does this
>at the 2014 MPR. ;)
>
>Doug Woods

Boy, fewer and fewer people each year. My first MFR about 3 years ago JB did the same thing and I think there were 8-10 people still standing including myself, Doug, Jimmy, Karl Sheible, don't think Uncle Joe was there, and others. Sorry I missed the event, fun to be the last ones standing.

David Weiman
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I worked spectator control on 3 and 8 and flying finish on 5. Haven't really worked an event for 13 years or so. I was amazed that very few of the spectators knew more than 2 or 3 of the entrants. I spent alot of my time commenting on who, what kind of car, some history/background, etc. The only problem I had was with 1 smart mouthed 20ish year old male (other than 1 DNFed entrant that did some stupid things). Otherwise they were well behaved and not drunken fools. I enjoyed working instaed of runing for a change. What I don't understand is why more entrants don't come out and work when they're not running.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>>>It was a bit of a shock, though, to find only
>>>four people standing when JB got to the end of "if you were
>>>part of Pro Rally when...", eh, Jimmy?
>>
>>Joe:
>>
>>Yes, that was very interesting.
>>
>>The date was 1973, and the four people left standing were
>>you, Jimmy, Doug S. and me. I guess we also have to include
>>John since he was standing on the stage!
>>
>>It was really great to talk to you, Jimmy and Doug at the
>>rally.
>>
>>Do you think we will still be standing when John does this
>>at the 2014 MPR. ;)
>>
>>Doug Woods
>
>Boy, fewer and fewer people each year. My first MFR about 3
>years ago JB did the same thing and I think there were 8-10
>people still standing including myself, Doug, Jimmy, Karl
>Sheible, don't think Uncle Joe was there, and others. Sorry
>I missed the event, fun to be the last ones standing.
>
>
>David Weiman
>[email protected]

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
IIRC from years past (I wasn't at the banquet this year), JB ask people to stand that have been around pro rally for x number of years (maybe 20 for example). Then he asks you to sit down if you've been around for less than 22 years, then 25 years, etc until only a couple of people are left standing. And oh yes, JB is the ORIGINAL JB, John Buffum, not to be confused with the other young wippersnapper JB :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahhhh - yes, my first rally experience was in 1974. In fact, I'm looking at the official '74 POR booklet right now (it's on display in my office). Now given that I was 4 years old and don't really remember the event (tsk, tsk), I thought it would be better to have a seat a bit earlier. ;)

Now, the second question Buffum could've asked, "how many still have the routebooks to all of these events?" (Jimmy, I just had to...)

Lyn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts