Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke with Rui Brasil who organized the trip to the WRC event this year with Sun trips.

They are considering chartering out a full plane for 180 passanger

route would be San Jose, LAX to Leon and back. People coming from Seattle and Arizona would be flown to meet the plane in San Jose or LAX. The entire hotel is already booked.

We want to see if we can generate some interest for the trip on 05 if the charter flight would be worth it, reason we are posting this so early is because the plane has to be booked about 9 months in advance.

Now the best part, the cost of the trip should remain close to what it was this year. Under $900 for flights, hotel and van service to the stages.

If you are interested post here to let us know.

If you went on the trip this year, post your experience as well.

MORE information:

People traveling from the east coast or central USA that can not make the charter flyght, packages with airfaire will be available and will take advantage of the same hotel and van service as the rest of the group.

New for 2005, vans will carry BBQ and food. Fresh food will be cooked by while the group watches the 1st pass of the cars and lunch will be served while we wait for cars to come back for pass #2.

Rui and Sun Trips are working hard on making the 2005 package even better than 2004.

Thanks
George Plsek

·
Registered
64 Posts
This trip is excellent value. The hotel was just down the street from the service park, well within walking distance, as well as some good restaurants/bars. The vans to the stages made it super easy and spectator areas were excellent.

-mark

·
Adventurist.Life
410 Posts
I wanted to go SO badly this year from the time I heard the FIA was even considering adding the event. I foolishly forgot to price flights at that time and by the time I had, they were over $500/per person from Phoenix. I would be very interested in getting more details on this package for 05.

Please let me know! :p

·
Registered
521 Posts
psssst...don't let people know how great it was because they all would want to go. The event was great and even more fun without any major crowds on the stages. I'll be back for next year no matter how I'll get there, count me in even with the sure to be large crowds next year!

David Hackett

·
Registered
967 Posts
>If you went on the trip this year, post your experience as
>well.

My exellent tour experience is best illustrated at [http://www.prorallypix.com/mexico04/index.html]
These were all shot from the "spectator" areas, no special access required. We got to see the shakedown, ceremonial start, six stages and the turning point of the rally (see the Subaru photos). We were within walking distance of big jumps and water splashes.

I'll just second Mark's comments about value. The hotel was clean, the area was safe, the beds were easy on my aging back, there was hot water for showers, the air conditioning worked (but the weather was so nice I didn't need it), the phone was cheap, there was rally and futbol on the TV, and the staff was just extraordinarily outgoing and friendly. That's much more than I usually find at US rally venues!

Nearby you could find a steak and a beer for under $10 (with great rally conversation for free), and more leather goods than you can imagine. Next year I'll bring an extra suitcase so I can replace my leather jacket and riding boots. The only thing that will keep me away from Rui's 05 tour is if I find a monthly rental on a house in San Miquel Allende.

I learned a lot, I loved the area and the people, I'm going back.

[email protected]

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like an awesome deal and I would commit to it if I was on the west coast for sure. However I am in michigan and wont want to fly across the country to get to another flight. Perhaps there could be a "get-yourself-to-Leon-on-your-own" rate that would include everything but the plane ticket. The lodging and stage transportation sounds really great and I imagine that I wouldn't save the cost of a plane ticket from michigan/minnesota to california or wherever by joining up with everyone before the departure from the U.S.
Can the $900 be split somehow to accomodate people that find their own plane tickets? Or do you think it would be just as cheap to fly myself out to one of the departure points mentioned above and just eat the cost of the other ticket??

Thanks,
matt

Marco Martin rules at jumping!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can?t say with 100% certaintly that I?m in at this date but I?m very, very interested in your package for 2005 either with or without the chartered plane.

·
Nerd with a clock & clipboard
252 Posts
I've already decided if it doesn't interfere with me paying my rent, I'm going next year so save me a seat.
Jeff, if you get the same price to Australia, the same thing holds for that event! :+

·
Registered
78 Posts
Provided there is some way I can get from Toronto to Leon without flying to the west coast first, I would be 90% commited to going. I also wanted to go this year, but financing the trip on my own, while in university was simply not a reality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same hotel as what everyone is raving about for next year? If so, myself and a friend would plan to go. We'd be departing from Detroit, are you considering unique packages for people from the east coast? If not, I'm sure we could always fly to LAX first.

How many days/nights?

I'd love to hear more comments from those of you lucky enough to go this year.

Steve Baumbach

·
Registered
120 Posts
I gave them a picture of you and said "loco ******" don't rent him a car. Ha Ha. Next year we need to do recce and fly in at the same time.

Chris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts