Special Stage Forums banner

Men's Journal Rally Article

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Michael Merbach 
#1 ·
I take no credit in finding this, was simply referred to it by Mark who found it while perusing the magazine for the lastest article on how to spice up his sex life and how to burn more fat to achieve the perfect body. But anyhow, back to rally. On page 74 of the latest Men's Journal (Dec. 2005) there is a 3-4 page article about rally. The author apparently rents a VSC car and races it at LSPR a few years back. Tim O'Neil took second at the event and it talks about how the author went to the school before tackling the event (and without a doubt was taught how invaluable and impossible it is to rally without Left Foot Braking). Also apparently show's Doug Havir's car wadded up and says "another Suby after a date with a tree" or something like that.

#3 ·
>That's great news! Thanks Grant, I'm going to grab it today.
>
>Matthew

Are you talking about the rally article being great news, or the news that there is a magazine to help us spice up our sex lives and burn extra fat?

;)

Grant-

Are you making a joke about Tim and LFB or taking an actual dig? I can't tell and would hate to think it's the latter.

#5 ·
>Are you making a joke about Tim and LFB or taking an actual
>dig? I can't tell and would hate to think it's the latter.

I'm seldomly serious and haven't been to the program so can't make any judgements about the curriculum. I'd go in a heartbeat if I had any disposable income and respect him for what his program is doing for US Rally. Side note: Mark said it does talk about left foot braking, but the author liked handbrake turns better. Oh, and he had Becker co-driving for him too. I think it's absolutely awesome that the article made it to print and can't wait to check it out later tonight.

#6 ·
I'm happy about rallying being in the journal. AND I may learn some new sex secret in the process of reading it...

Other than that about the LFB thing, I do it, some don't, if you're fast you're fast however you manage it. No one reading it will know the difference anyway, in fact it just gives casual rally fans something else interesting and differnt to talk about... Hell with that said; I'm going to start talking about Left Foot Throttle!

Peace, MJ

Matthew Johnson
CarolinaRallySport.com
matthewjohnson.us

#8 ·
I shot the story at LSPR last year. I was in the class at Timo's with the author too.

I have not seen it yet, but I have been told that they did not use any shots of the cars in action (except one of Lurch), which I am really disappointed since I gave them quite a lot of good stuff to choose from x(

#9 ·
>>That's great news! Thanks Grant, I'm going to grab it
>today.
>>
>>Matthew
>
>
>Are you talking about the rally article being great news, or
>the news that there is a magazine to help us spice up our sex
>lives and burn extra fat?
>
>;)
>
>
>
>
>Grant-
>
>Are you making a joke about Tim and LFB or taking an actual
>dig? I can't tell and would hate to think it's the latter.
>
You really need to lighten up, boy.
You ax a guy who posts operating room photos of gaping wound on his back who starts a poll asking folks to guess if it was a, b, or c and one of the choices is he was attacked by a gang of Lesbian Scooter Nuns who were jealous of his fine ride IF HE'S SERIOUS!!!!!

You, boy, are too serious.

And Grant doesn't doesn't have any excess fat to burn.
And no sex life either, but he WILL have a normal aspirated Cossie motor soon (I got you a manifold for carbies Grant!! brou-ha-ha!!!)

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

#14 ·
>I have not seen it yet, but I have been told that they did not
>use any shots of the cars in action (except one of Lurch),
>which I am really disappointed since I gave them quite a lot
>of good stuff to choose from x(

See what happens when you hole a radiator and drive around in 5th gear with your flashers on all day to keep from overheating? You get in Men's Jounal.

Thanks Morgan! At least the picture looks fast. :+

Eric. (My abs are um...well...there in there somewhere.)

#16 ·
>I shot the story at LSPR last year. I was in the class at
>Timo's with the author too.
>
>I have not seen it yet, but I have been told that they did not
>use any shots of the cars in action (except one of Lurch),
>which I am really disappointed since I gave them quite a lot
>of good stuff to choose from x(

Heh, Morgan, welcome to the world of working with Rodale Press...:(

I worked there for years. The MJ guys do some realy great stuff, and some real bogus work, too. One thing I remember, they are NOT car people. Their photo eds need to get out of their dark little cubicles, literally.

Dave G

#18 ·
>Heh, Morgan, welcome to the world of working with Rodale
>Press...:(
>
>I worked there for years. The MJ guys do some realy great
>stuff, and some real bogus work, too. One thing I remember,
>they are NOT car people. Their photo eds need to get out of
>their dark little cubicles, literally.
>
>Dave G

They actually lost the photos (good thing for digital) and I had to resend them a month ago.

#25 ·
I met Jason on the stages.He said he was writing a article that he hoped would get picked up by MJ. I wound up right in front of him for most of saturday *leg two*. He had a great attitude and was very talkitive. I have been flipping through various magazines looking for it, I figured it hit the cutting room floor.
I am waiting for one of my Metro sexual pretty boy students to bring
it to School.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.