Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official pre-sweep vehicle
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By popular demand, the 2012 Mendocino Rally will include an optional recce Friday before the Welcome Party at Parducci Winery that night. All rallyists running the recce will receive pace notes incorporated into the route instructions at no additional cost. We are requesting Rally America permit us to issue the pace note supplemented RI’s to contestants unable to run the recce.

Registration for both contestants (limit 30) and volunteers (limit 100) is now open. The entry fee is $550 in June and $650 in July. Visit MendocinoRally.com for more details.

·
the devil plays my advocate
744 Posts
I love love love your roads. Everyone should run this rally. I wish I could make it back down there to volunteer again but my friend and I are going back to Idaho this year.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We just got back from a great day on South Cow Mountain. Elizabeth and I drove the course while Pat and his radio buddies checked out communications from various locations. We placed start/finish location markers at each end of the main road. This will give us two stages of about 12 miles each and two stages of about 10 miles each. Based on 2011 average speeds of 45 mph, that will be about an hour of high quality stage time. We then went down to Scotts Creek and walked the “riverbed rallycross” – four 1-mile runs through an abandoned orchard!

Our next trip up the mountain will be to do the pace notes, which will be available to teams, at no additional cost, if they run the Friday multi-pass recce or the early Saturday caravan style recce.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We are really considering coming from Canada for the rally, but that's not very many stage miles. Is it possible to squeeze a few more in so it's closer to the length of Idaho or some of the other regionals?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The roads are Way tighter than @ Idaho. @ Idaho i was getting into 4th gear fairly consistently and seeing the top of 4th a few times.

@ Mendocino last year i almost ran the entire rally in 3rd gear. 2nd got used a bit. and i only grabbed 4th on "The 1 straight away" and not for very long . 40 miles of Mendocino is about the same seat time as 80 miles of Idaho. Mendocino is a lot like the narrow tighter section of Grimes. (it did rut up slightly , slightly by the last stage) but nothing to adjust your ride height over :p

That said, I'm not going to turn down extra mileage! ;) (or any night stages)

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are building the Mendocino Rally year-by-year. For 2012, we are adding the “riverbed rallycross.” We are working with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to develop some additional roads in 2013, which will give us a loop and a lot of additional miles.

We had lots of dust last year, and even with two minute intervals, night driving would have been very difficult. We are trying a new road-grading technique with BLM this year that will probably reduce the “fugitive dust” between cars. If it works in 2012, you can expect night stages in the future.

So here’s a question for you: Would you prefer an optional night rally Friday night, like North Nevada, or simply run the Saturday rally longer? This would be for 2013, not 2012. Also consider this: A night stage, either Friday or Saturday, could cut into party time. I understand nobody runs rallies for the parties, but I believe our parties are among the best. So, give me some ideas to consider for 2013.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Early entry closes Sunday

Early entry for the Mendocino Rally closes Saturday June 30th. To qualify for the reduced entry fee, you must register at RallyData.com and send in your entry fee of $550 via PayPal or USPS by Monday July 2nd. After that, the regular entry fee of $650 will apply.

If you are entering the North Nevada Rally and suffer serious damage, you may withdraw from the Mendocino Rally on Monday July 9th with a full 100% refund.

Join us in Ukiah for great roads and great parties.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the North?

As of Friday 6/29, we have 9 entries (not bad for 5 weeks out), and they are all from the South! Where is the North? Are the Northern teams going to give up on the North-South Challenge without a fight? Should we even have a North-South Challenge at the 2012 Mendocino Rally?

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent Monday with Mike and Paula Gibeault working on the notes. They had a couple great ideas that I have decided to include in the rally.

Mike suggested that the Saturday Morning caravan recce take place just before the rally, using rally cars. Then we begin stage 1 without returning to Ukiah. This will save us an hour of transit and will allow us to add a couple more stage miles.

Paula pointed out that there would be very little time for co-drivers to fine-tune their notes after the recce, but I argued that really dedicated teams would have run the Friday recce anyway and would use the Saturday recce to simply verify their changes.

Check out the tentative schedule, version 2, on our web site.

·
I put the hurt on dirt
248 Posts
Sorry Jim,
We'd like to bring 'Patches' down to defend our 3rd OA from last year, but we're getting ready for a different North-South challenge.
Big White Winter Rally in Canada, then
WRC Mexico
all in a newly built Corolla - 'Hatches'

Trying to reel in Hoche-Mong while keeping Lockhart behind us would be a great 2wd challenge - pesky wabbits!

Thanks for keeping the PNW forum updated, and incorporating so much feedback from last year's fun debut.

Adam Crane
CraneRallyCrew.com

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
North-South Challenge

I just approved a proof the 2011 North-South Challenge award, a big 8 X 10 inch mahogany plaque that will hang on the wall of the Mendocino Brewing Ale House in Ukiah for years to come. All six drivers and co-drivers for Team South are listed on the plaque. On Saturday August 4th, at the conclusion of the 2012 Mendocino Rally, it will be presented to Team South, the defending champions of 2011.

Will Team North win the 2012 award? Will your names be on the 2012 plaque? Based on the current entry list, probably not. What would it take for Team North to win the 2012 award? Only three cars that can outdrive the southern folks on forest roads. Are there any forest roads in Oregon and Washington? Are you up to the challenge?

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The hospitality committee had a meeting at Johnny Garlic’s recently. They selected the following items for the Friday Welcome Party:

Brick Wings – Pan seared herb crusted wings with Salsa Verde

Sonoma Salad – Spring Mix, Dried Cranberries, Honey Almonds, Stella Blue Cheese Crumbles + House Balsamic Dressing

Pesto Garden Wrap – Sun dried tomatoes, baby greens, Roma tomato, cucumber, carrots and pesto wrapped in a grilled pizza shell

Chicken Caesar Wrap – Caesar salad, grilled chicken & Roma tomato wrapped in a grilled pizza shell

Creole Chicken Wrap – Blackened chicken, mozzarella cheese, crispy onions, tomato, lettuce & Cajun mayo wrapped in a grilled pizza shell

Chicken Bacon Ciabatta - Grilled chicken breast, Applewood bacon, spring mix, tomato & mayo on a toasted Ciabatta bun

The next meeting of the hospitality committee is at Parducci Winery where they will attempt to pair wines with the above, or get drunk trying.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The four Rallycross stages will be for drivers. The four hilltop stages are where the co-drivers will earn their seat. The stages are about 10 miles long each and it takes 115 lines of stage notes to cover each stage. That’s more than one line of notes every tenth of a mile. It's almost one line of notes for every ten seconds at 30 MPH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts