Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the meaning or a value of any type of rally championship here in the US or North America?

What is there to gain by being either SCCA Pro Rally Champion, North American Rally Champion or either of the 2 new series champion.

Will people pick events based on who sanctions them or based on level of fun, level of exposure to their sponsors, cost and etc?
Will people travel to events just to collect points so they can be a "champion" or run events and just try to earn the best position possible per event with the best available competition?

Just wondering what the general feeling is out there and get some clarity in a pretty hazy situation.

-george

G

·
I'm not in that world, but I imagine somebody's sponsors would be happier with "United States/North American/NASA/RA/Mooselodge/Inter-federation of knuckleheads Champion" than nothing. Perhaps someone with some sort of rally championship could say what it means to them.

http://www.treesandturtles.com/

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
I think it's kind of like the meaning of a rally, to see who is fastest over the course.

The Championship concept is good for serious teams as it gives them an on going gauge of their sucsess when compared to other teams with similar goals. It's also is very important to these teams because it gives them and THEIR SPONSORS a vehicle to promote their efforts.

Peter

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think the meaning of a national championship is to determine who are the fastest teams in the country.

Considering the size of the US, the fewer events to determine this the better, because it makes it possible for more teams to compete in it, which makes for a more accurate picture of who is the fastest.

I think NASA is on the right track with 4 events. There's a gap in the center of the country, so maybe 1 or 2 central events could join, but 6 events total should be the absolute maximum for a US championship. Also, scheduling to minimize towing would be helpful.

I actually think 3 total events would be best (1 west, 1 east, 1 central), but I don't think the general mentality of "more is better" would allow for that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The value of a championship series would be based
on exposure (T.V, Magazines, Press, etc). Then
the value that is passed on to that Champion is name
recognition and the ability to market himself for the
future. Without exposure, the value of winning a series
championship is all self satisfaction. Outside of the
Champion and other competitors, no one cares.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The value of a championship is directly related to who wins it.

Some people may be looking for an sponsor, and a "national" tile looks good in a resume.

In my particular case, my 2001 SCCA national Champiosnhip is something I cherish deeply, Doug and I paid out of our own pockets, did 8 of the events, and won the title on the last stage of the last rally (Production Class).

Am I interesting in running another national championship with 4 events only, Heck Yes!!!.

Like somebody said before, less events mean more competitors, and better competition. All of a sudden the east coast guys can rent a tranporter and bring 6 or 8 cars, likewise for us to go east. There will be 2 events on the East Coast next year, March and September, very doable, and more teams will be interested in going. This is a far cry from choosing which events you go to when there are too many.

In my opinion, a national championship as a privateer, is the biggest reward one can have.

Tony Chavez

·
SURF!!! I'll cover you myself!
663 Posts
>
>The value of a championship is directly related to who wins
>it.

Smart thinking.
>
>Some people may be looking for an sponsor, and a "national"
>tile looks good in a resume.
>
>In my particular case, my 2001 SCCA national Champiosnhip is
>something I cherish deeply, Doug and I paid out of our own
>pockets, did 8 of the events, and won the title on the last
>stage of the last rally (Production Class).

That is what makes a championship, the grit, the work, the effort,and the payoff. Nice.
>
>Am I interesting in running another national championship
>with 4 events only, Heck Yes!!!.
>
>Like somebody said before, less events mean more
>competitors, and better competition. All of a sudden the
>east coast guys can rent a tranporter and bring 6 or 8 cars,
>likewise for us to go east. There will be 2 events on the
>East Coast next year, March and September, very doable, and
>more teams will be interested in going. This is a far cry
>from choosing which events you go to when there are too
>many.
>
>In my opinion, a national championship as a privateer, is
>the biggest reward one can have.

I'd have to agree, excellent prespcetive.

Peter
>
>Tony Chavez

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yea, that's why Pat Richard won this year in a Group N car. Yes he spent some money but you didn't see him spend as much as some. He won on TALENT!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
George,
You asked if people will pick events "based on level of fun." I think a lot of people will do that and not worry about which series an event is in.
Based on other people's reports, and some of my own experiences, I think the states with the most really fun stage roads are Tennessee, Washington, Oregon, and Minnesota. I hear there are some excellent events in BC, Ontario, and Quebec too.
Rick and I might let the roads play a big role in determining our schedule. We like twisty roads that are good for ditch hooking.
Dave
Car # 207

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>What is the meaning or a value of any type of rally
>championship here in the US or North America?
>
>What is there to gain by being either SCCA Pro Rally
>Champion, North American Rally Champion or either of the 2
>new series champion.

A shiny trophy? Your name in the rulebook(s)?

>Will people pick events based on who sanctions them or based
>on level of fun, level of exposure to their sponsors, cost
>and etc?

Some of each. See below...

>Will people travel to events just to collect points so they
>can be a "champion" or run events and just try to earn the
>best position possible per event with the best available
>competition?

This year I set a goal to run at least the minimum number of events to try for the CARS, SCCA, and NARC championships in P. The SCCA and CARS effort came up a couple of events short (financial reasons for the first, and we just plain got beat for the second). I like to have a goal for the year - typically a championship, so I do tend to try and run appropriate events in the appropriate classes. This doesn't mean that I won't go and run other events or in other classes if the opportunity presents itself. In the end, fun is more important than trophies.

Because of my goals this year, I did run three events I'd never run before this year, and added to the rallies that I like (how to pare that list down to the rallies that I can afford to go to is the issue now...)

Adrian

·
Registered
240 Posts
>The value of a championship series would be based
>on exposure (T.V, Magazines, Press, etc). Then
>the value that is passed on to that Champion is name
>recognition and the ability to market himself for the
>future. Without exposure, the value of winning a series
>championship is all self satisfaction. Outside of the
>Champion and other competitors, no one cares.

I second this.
In addition though, I would add that the level of competition also adds a lot of importance and excitement that leads to the crowds, media and thus sponsors. Also it ensures that more competitors show up we like competition too : ) What could happen now is the dilution of the importance of any one championship in the US. Two people could be awarded US Rally Champion the obvious question is who is the best? The solution is to have the 2, 3, 4 ? however many series come together and cross over for a few events and have that be the national championship. For example if Rim of the World was still on the now RA calendar it would be perfect, teams running RA, USAC and West Coast Rally Championship would be their the only series it excludes is the East Coast Rally Championship. I would take it one step further and say add Canada into the mix one event in the east one in the west then it could be the North American Rally Championship. It?s definitely a good idea to have an organization like the FIA doing the selection and setting the rules as the multiple national championships may have different rules.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>I think the meaning of a national championship is to
>determine who are the fastest teams in the country.
>
>Considering the size of the US, the fewer events to
>determine this the better, because it makes it possible for
>more teams to compete in it, which makes for a more accurate
>picture of who is the fastest.
>
>I think NASA is on the right track with 4 events. There's a
>gap in the center of the country, so maybe 1 or 2 central
>events could join, but 6 events total should be the absolute
>maximum for a US championship. Also, scheduling to minimize
>towing would be helpful.
>
>I actually think 3 total events would be best (1 west, 1
>east, 1 central), but I don't think the general mentality of
>"more is better" would allow for that.
Then reduce the number of events to one and call it the National Championship. Put it within 60 miles of the population center of the lower 48. Maybe make it where you have to qualify regionally to be eligible.

Or does that sound too much like what SCCA was doing?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Its "the big rally." Ask yourself why you rally at all. To test yourself, your team, your equipment, and your preparation against other teams. Why do you continue when you have a flat? Why do you continue when you have a holed radiator, or gearbox, or brake line? Why do you continue when you only have 2 gears and a box full of neutrals? It sure as hell ain't for the piece of masonite to hang on the wall or the chunk of lucite on top of the TV.

To win a championship, you have to pace yourself with much more discipline than you do to win a rally. Unless you have a stable of spare shells, you have to pace yourself to save the car...sometimes all it gets is a wash, an oil change, a shock regrease and a once over before it goes back on the trailer to go to the next event. It is a challenge to coordinate car preservation, logistics, lodging, maintenance, FINANCES, crew relationships, sponsors, etc...not to mention trying to develop your talent and your car. I'm assuming that is already taken care of.

Championships with real competition mean something. And I've never won one. But I wouldn't trade my second places to Lauchlin or Chris for the world, because I have the priveledge of knowing what real competition is. I'll take second in a brawl over first in a one man race anyday.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's a mix for us, but does not include any need to get recognition for sponsorship. We are not seeking any, and are purely running for sport.

That being said, a regional championship for us is a next level of sporting challenge above running to improve oneself or for the pure thrill of rallying. Like Lurch said, it requires one to have a bit more dedication and drive to keep going all year long. That in itself may not be much of an overall challenge for some, but when limited by both time and $$ budgets, it does become a bit of a push, and one can take some modest personal pride in making it to the next event when disaster stikes.

AS far as the multiple championships, at a hobbiest level, it does make a lot of sense to me. The ESRC has been the next step up for us in running for something a bit bigger than a Divisional championship. It keeps us in one area, and keeps costs and time reasonable for myself (traveling for biz over 200 days this year!) and my son (full time college). So, actually, the present arrangement is working out well in our particular situation and locale.

However, that would not in itself keep us from running other events ourside of ESRC. There are other events that are just too great to pass up; I just have to get my son into the LSPR soon; it is an event not to miss!

Just a view from an hobby/sportsman rallier,
Mark B.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Thinking about this a couple days...
When you start a season, you have no idea what the year will bring.
Only when everything is done and the season ended, does it even start to bring meaning to the effort.
Until it has happened, you just don't know.
That's the problem any real serious rally person has to face in '05.
The season could be a disaster of no-shows or a barn-burner for the ages, but you'll never know if you don't enter.
rz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts