Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright... remember when Mcrae went to ford.... he broke the car, beat the car, and throughoughly made ford/martini racing rethink their choice in drivers.. all before he won an event.... I know that was several years ago and just about the time i started following Rally... but...

Mcrae is no tarmac man... and the snow helped him out.. but 2nd.. in the first outing in the new car? If the car can hold up in gravel he may even make the peugot's look sorry...

No wonder Mitsubishi pulled out of WRC...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Actually Colin is a fairly good Tarmac driver and won a bunch of pavement events--especially in his Subaru days.

I strongly belive that Ford handicapped themselves last year with tire choice (pirelli over Michelin) more than anything.

Colin has a great title chance this year, but he is still likely to start crashing again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Monte means "JACK" to the winner of the champingship?? "right" right?!?! Tommi won his first race in the Sub,
Time has said the rest of your year will suck if you win Monte? Monte is up to tires if you get the right one good if not, you know?
I'm in the McRae will crash club. Big mouth and big crashes!! Shut up and ride! McRae, good driver, big nerve!
Hope Loab has a good year. Sainz got some fast stage times. Maybe world champ and retire? A long year who knows?
David
"to the gravel"

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am a McRae fan, have and will be. I don't know if this will be the year for his second championship. They haven't really abused the cars yet; I know they both finished Safari last year but they were taking it really easy. Once the rough gravel events (acropolis, cypress) start going I'm sure Colin will find every weakness with the car, just as he did with the focus and the Impreza.

Greg,
Crew Chief
1989 GTX #291

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
- MaCrae has crashed a lot for sure but many of them were due to poor navigators and inferior car. He's so competative that he tries to win but the car is not up to speed. If Citi turns out to be good on gravel, watch him win many rallies.
- Big mouth? Colin doesn't run his mouth, it's Burns who has eaten a crow or two...
- I was suprised how well Saenz went with a new navigator. Carlos has had need for navigator to tell things and give support but... maybe not!? Time will tell.
- I already miss Moya's machine-gun page notes reading!
- This year will be most competative!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't think McRaes crashes were do to bad navigators, he has had the best navigators in the business, it is more do to the fact that he was young and insane! He was always driving over the limit. Now he is more mature and he has crashed no more or less than anybody else- Tommi and Francois had quite a few "offs" in 2002. The Championship will be more dependant on whether the car remains reliable. The car is a big part of the success, Gronholm was not much of a threat until he got into the Peugeot

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
RE: Mcrae's smashed rig unretrievable this year, I wish?

As a longtime fan of McRae I noticed his style change in 2000 when he started to accept results other than a win as OK. That has kept him in the chase for the last few years. We wouldn't have seen that in his Subaru days. I s'pose you gotta nurse those American rigs here and there. I do miss the old Colin, though. I think he just wanted Michelins.

Colin McRae is rally personified. The spirit of rally is about pounding the crap out of your machinery and taking a bent up heap of sheetmetal and nuts-n-bolts home on the trailer, fixing it up (or having my brother fix it), and doing it again. He embodies the unreal shock value that draws so many to our sport, at least the folks I know.

Has anyone ever chased him down to win a rally? I can't recall it ever happening. Has he ever lost 1st to take a 2nd. He does hold the record for WRC wins and will do so for a while since it looks like Tommi has had a vasectomy and a labotomy.

Pat Richard was our Colin McRae over here, too bad he doesn't race American much anymore. It sounds like Matt Johnson has his sights set oversees as well. Shucks. Why are our talented young drivers leaving?

P.S. Forget about Gronholm, it's the car.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
Gronholm (was McRae Crashing)

>P.S. Forget about Gronholm, it's the car.

I would have to disagree with this statement, although you could be trolling for flames for all I know.

If that's the case, how come he has his teammates covered at pretty much every rally? Who won the Michelin Race of Champions this year?

Over the last few years he has grown to be a threat on tarmac as well as gravel; he is certainly one of the most versatile drivers in the series now.

And he happened to be at the right place at the right time to get into the best car presently out there.

Ben

·
Registered
115 Posts
RE: Gronholm (was McRae Crashing)

I'm NOT discounting McCrae, but the guys drives to fast, just can't stay on the road.

The truth of the matter is, and I heard Pete Van Bogart say it first so i'll quote him but "Gronholm was just born to drive that car."

G-man isn't going to start losing, that i know. Someone else is just going to have to start winnning.

Noah

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

Someone on rally-forum.com compared the actual number of crashes between drivers... and Colin was NOT the person with the most.. I believe it was Makkinen, I will see if I can find it.

In fact, I remember Colin had the same number of crashes as alot of drivers. The only thing is, is that when colin goes off, he goes off BIG, or goes off big a few times in a single day :)

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts

When asked about McCrae's win or crash driving style, Nicky Grist had an interesting perspective. Basically he said that in any given rally, there are a number of corners that are "risky", either cuz of road condition, severity, speed, etc.... The guy who takes the most risks and doesn't crash wins the rally. So when a driver approaches one of those corners he must decide if he wants to take a risk there or not. Nicky sez with Colin there basically is no decision. He always takes the maximum risk. The result is maximum speed or maximum crash. Gotta admire that.

I think the closest to that we've seen here is David Higgins, and more recently Ramana Lagemann.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,550 Posts

I'm afraid this season will be the only season Citroen will be able to afford having a WRC team.

Even though he started the season with a relatively impressive Monty finish I believe we are yet to see how Crash McRae is going to make a dent in the Citroen purse. I'm ready to bet,anybody who is willing to take the bet, that Colin will destroy no less than 4 Citroens this year, and this figure does not include the practice/recce cars.

I'll give him credit, he's fast. However being fast is of secondary importance when it comes to winning a World Championship. Uncharacteristic of his background, he is rather emotional when he is behind the wheel and he is not leading, he gets very frustrated. Often he crosses the boundries between taking reasonable risks and being irresponsible. When the outcome of his irresponsibility is a DNF he tends to start pointing fingers.

Historicaly, he worked really good with Derek Ringer. However I believe Nicky Grist is a better overall Codriver. I hope Derek will be able to prevent Colin from making mistakes that will prove me right.

That's my $0.02

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
366 Posts
RE: McRae

Colin is his own worst enemy. Yes he has crashed himself out of the lead down the finishing board-Cyprus '02 for example.
Gronholm is that good as can be seen by the driving style and how hard he has to drive to pound the competition.
Tommy is unbelievable and extremely competitive-Subaru has not been-Tommy has until this year-'03-not been happy with the car.
The issue here is the new point system for world champ. Consistancy is the name of the game and we will see a different approach to driving by the drivers who want to be champ. The extra push needed to win an event may not be worth risk as it only gains 2 points over second and the same for second over third. He who is consistant will be champ, which could very well mean Carlos Sainz, an untypical Swedish finish for him-Citreons not being reliable for him. If he does a full season this man is regularly in the points. Tommy and Carlos are just behind Colin for most wins in WRC.
Burns seems to be working on the finishing theory for this year-scored points in both events totals 10-Marcus points in one event 10, a win-Colin points in 2 events 12-Loeb points in 2 events 12, 10 points from a win.
I think the start to the season will see some finishing for good points and see what is happening before we see hard drives coming from anyone looking to be champion. Once things start to get played out if there is a need then we'll see the push.
IMHO:+

1 - 14 of 14 Posts