Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McRae to give up World Championship rallying:

October 31, 2003
Colin McRae has announced that he will not contest the 2004 World Rally Championship.

The 1995 World Champion was left without a drive when Citroen decided to keep Carlos Sainz and has failed to raise the funds to run a semi-works car.

?There are numerous reasons for not competing in the 2004 World Championship and one of the main things is the change in the specific regulation that says each team can only have two registered cars,? McRae said. ?It didn?t help that a definite decision wasn?t made early enough in the year to give anyone a chance of securing a drive. Because of that, the only option left was to find the funds to pay for a drive and, given the short timescale, it?s just almost impossible to pull that kind of money together.

?At the time Citroen made its decision, Carlos [Sainz] was in a stronger position in the championship than me, and still is. It also has very strong links with the Spanish market so both of these factors obviously contributed. Had the driver regulations not changed, Citroen had always stated they would keep all three of us; now they can?t.

?All this, coupled with the fact that it?s not been my best year in the sport, have meant I?ve not really enjoyed it. And I?ve always said that when I don?t enjoy it, I would seriously consider stepping back. The results haven?t been there and these two things go together; if you?re enjoying it, you?re competitive. I?m not as competitive as I want to be and this is another reason for pulling out.?

McRae said that he remained ?positive? about his future in other fields and acknowledged speculation that he might contest the Paris-Dakar Rally in January.

http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1067591601,47452,

:-( :-(

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Well the fight for Power between Ecclestone and Mosley and those other F1 perv maniacs, and their most able student the meglamaniac Dave Richards is having its results.

How many MFGs have dropped out in recent years?

Seat, Hyundai, Toyota, Mitsubishi, now maybe Ford and Skoda.
Drivers: Mäkinen, now Mc Rea while they are still young this year alone.

On the other hand Mc Rea has said repeatedly "I'd do this for NO salary."
And the comments "Impossible to find the money...."
Maybe he's that dim but to use one of his _favorite words_ since he was a kid, OBVIOUSLY he didn't think to look in his own bank accout.

Highest paid driver for how many years, hasn't any of that been put to productive investments that the INTEREST alone could be tapped?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
96 Posts
thats too bad. I think its odd that he couldnt find a ride, especially if he was offering no salary. I sure if he wanted to he could hit the Grp.N circut or super1600 or something. But as stated, he wasnt having fun. thats generally a good reason to stop. If not then why? But who knows, he may be back in 2005 sporting a WRC Golf or something. We will just have to wait and see.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
This doesn't surprise me!

Changing the point ratings was a very good move in my opinion.
It made the WRC more exciting and interesting.

The latest changes have turned the series into a circus and it is losing interest with car manufacturers and drivers alike.
Even the fans have responded in a negative way.

With Colin McRae showing his protest in this way, it wouldn't be surprising, if other drivers (that can afford it) would do this in a simular way.

I am surprised however, that they (our so mighty Gods of the FIA), haven't caught onto their mistake yet.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm sorry, he's made how much in the last decade? Surely he could stir up a few bucks and buddies to go get whatever car he would like, and go blast around in the woods if he truly wanted to. He really ate it this season, and it can't be the car (See other results from new drivers with it), so I'd hardly call it a protest, more a cop-out.

Hey, maybe next year we'll see him alongside nicky once again! ...Explaining the intracacies of the difference between slicks and wets on Speed!

·
626 Posts
>> With Colin McRae showing his protest in this way
>
>I'd hardly call it a protest. He couldn't get a ride.

Well, call it what you may. With Manufacturers and drivers deciding not to participate next season is still a slap in the FIA's face.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think it is just the money. He has said in interviews that there wasn't enough time now to get a pay-drive together before Monte. If FIA WRC had said this past January that there would be only two works drivers per team then he would have had enough time but with them changing the rules so late and so often, he says there wasn't enough time. A PWRC ride would likely be doable but perhaps not that interesting for someone who has competed at the top level.

Says he might try Dakar or other motorsports.

Harry

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can see how McRae would be a bit demoralized after the last few years and especially given the time he's had finding a ride for 2004, but I bet he'll be back better than ever after a year or two...

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Ummm ... despite being very wealthy, I doubt any of them could seriously afford to personally finance a season at around $5 million plus per car. Do you think any of them would really find it worthwhile to blow a significant chunk of their personal wealth just to run a privateer car for one season .... there's a lot of other pretty cool things you can do with $5 million plus .......

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Lets not forget the Video Game royalties!

Tony Hawk (some skateboard guy):7 gets over $17 MILLION PER YEAR in royalties!

I am sure Colin could fund his own team - IF - he wanted to.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
And hooooooooooow many years has he been the highest paid driver in the world????
How much saved and invested?????

No idea myelf but he could if he wanted with a snap of the fingers.
The kid Latvala managed to find enoughdough to buy a ride from Ford, Colin, with Daddies help could do something for a year, but the following year he would have a hard time demanding his inflated salaries.

Too smart for his own good??
Wonder if he's gonna blame his co-driver this time?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>After all royalties and personal sponsorships Colin makes a
>little less than 12m USD.
>
>Ford wants 7.6M/USD to run an 03 Focus for him next year...
>
>Those are the facts on the money. (got them from rallyforum,
>ford and rallyxs)

Man, a $20M usd pay cut in one year!

The reality is that Colin is a smart man to not rally on his own money ... and to rally a 1 year old spec car would NOT allow him to be competitive. At his level you'd want to come in at a much higher price point, and the reality is that the development time isn't there ...
Imagine doing a company start-up with even only 20 hires and trying to be ready to open the doors and be competitive in 12 weeks? and moreso, make the COMMITMENT to do that in less than 3 weeks?

Hell, I'm ramping up to a new magazine product looking at 6 months lead to the launch ... (and NO it's not a rally mag ... yet)

As with most rallying here, people forget that this is a business

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was just thinking that Colin could be very valuable to potential new manufacturers in their development of a WRC car. With Japan on the calander and other noises Suzuki is making, there is talk of a 2005 WRC program. Colin could do worse than spend a year tailoring a car to his style and then unleashing it in 2005. I'm sure that Suzuki is not the only one that is thinking of starting a WRC program.

The FIA has defenitely got a number of things to answer for, with the frequency, and late timing of these multiple, contradictory rule changes. "three drivers, one no podium, no two driver, no, only drivers that can stand on their heads for over five minutes while singing the national anthems for every country on the championship, in harmony"

I don't think the WRC was ever so bad that such a massive raft of changes needed to be implimented. My favourite one I JUST read was the proposal to have team cars in service on after the other, so as to reduce service costs and crews. Pardon me for asking, but would this not LENGTHEN the events that have had efforts put forward to SHORTEN?! Mille Piste? And no doubt, longer events are a good idea when there are more events in the calander.

They are also discussing a rule to ban testing except for two specified points during the year (presumably one winter and one summer test round). This rule I like. It would help level the playing field and reduce barriers to new Manufacturers, and manus with smaller budgets (Hyundai comes to mind). Of course, this rule alone doesn't solve all of Hyundais problems, but the idea still has merit. The only downside I see is a reduced level of confidance of the drivers in the cars, which would maybe result in slower events. I realize speed isn't everything, but this is racing.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
202 Posts
...to slot in for Burns at Subaru?

Hopefully, Burns is okay, but if there is some kind of chronic difficulty, he might not be solid for next year -- or the first event or two. Maybe Colin could find a spot with Subaru for a time. Colin and Petter head to head? That would be interesting, watching Petter ignore the situation while McRae slowly lost the rest of dignity.

I can't imagine he'd have much fun running a season in the US, though a GN winner would be pocket change for him and a fairly welcome change of scene. Probably best to hang out in the sun for a few years. He hasn't looked like he's had fun for a few years now.

andy

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
> Colin could do worse than spend a year tailoring a car to his style and then unleashing it in 2005. I'm sure that Suzuki is not the only one that is thinking of starting a WRC program.

At Ford (and everywhere else) Colin was much less involved in development than Sainz. There are plenty of good recce/gravel drivers to help with development.

·
626 Posts
RE: ...to slot in for Burns at Subaru?

New developments over Burns illness!

McRae and Martin could be concidered as back-ups at Subaru.
In Martin's case this would only be possible if Ford decides to pull out of the WRC, but Colin McRae has offered his assistance.
He only commited himself to Nissan for the 2004 Dakar.

Whiplash RallyeSport

1 - 18 of 18 Posts