Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McRae to race in desert rally

Former World Rally champion Colin McRae is to race in the trans-Saharan Dakar Rally for the first time.
The Scot will drive for Nissan in the event that starts in France's Auvernge region on 1 January 2004.

McRae said he was intending the event to be a one-off, adding: "It's something I've always wanted to do."

McRae has no World Rally drive in 2004, but his Dakar commitment calls into question his chances of substituting for the ill Richard Burns at Subaru.

Burns has been forced out of the 2004 world championship with a brain tumour, and the Dakar Rally finishes just five days before the start of the season in Monte Carlo.

McRae's preparations for the African event would also mean he had virtually no time to get used to any team and car he raced for in the WRC.

The Dakar Rally runs for three weeks, and takes in stages in France, Morocco, Mauritania, Mali, Burkina Faso and Senegal.

CREDIT: World-Rally Yahoo Group

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
Registered
374 Posts
I read somewhere... I forget where... that Subaru has asked Makinen to run Monte if Ford runs next season... and then Colin would get the ride after Monte.

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Makkinen said he would not drive again. It was confirmed by his manager...

If, ford quits, Markko is signing with peugot. Even Francois said so. (rumours are he may have allready done so)

Subaru's first choice was Markko for the second seat, but becuase of above, Colin will drive for them.

The dakar ends the day before the recce for the Monte starts. Assuming Colin finishes the whole thing.

(All taken from the rumour mills at rallyforum)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts