Discussion Starter #2
RE: McRae leads Cyrpus after leg 2

1 C.MCRAE-GRIST Ford Focus
2 GRONHOLM-RAUTIA Peugeot 206
3 MAKINEN-LINDSTR Subaru Impreza
4 BURNS-REID Peugeot 206
5 ROVANPERA-PIETI Peugeot 206
6 MARTIN-PARK Ford Focus

Less than half a minute separates McRae from Gronholm, but Marucs has more than a minute in hand over the rest of the field. Peugeot continues their strong run toward another Manufacturer's title despite pre-event concerns that their competitiveness might suffer on these gravel rounds of the WRC.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Entire Ford team strikes trouble at Cyprus ...

Thanks to universal power steering failures in the works Ford team Peugeot lies 1 - 2 - 4 at Cyprus. McRae is 7th, the best of the Fords, while Gronholm holds nearly a minute-and-a-half lead over teammate Burns with just two stages left to run.

1. GRONHOLM Peugeot 206
2. BURNS Peugeot 206 + 01'22"80
3. MAKINEN Subaru + 01'26"40
4. ROVANPERA Peugeot 206 + 01'40"00
5. SOLBERG Subaru + 02'38"80
6. SCHWARZ Hyundai + 02'48"50

Info gleaned from http://www.rally-live.com/en/

Halley ...

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats to Peugeot & Gronholm!!

After I sent the previous I noticed that the front-rnners have already completed the last stage and the final results are very similar. McRae wicked it up and appears to have claimed a points-paying position by relegating Schwarz to 7th. Barring post rally weirdness it appears Cyprus is Gronholm (Peugeot), Burns (Peugeot), Makinen (Subaru), Rovenpera (Peugeot), Solberg (Subaru) and McRae (Ford).

Don't you love it when a 'family-owned' business effectively takes on two of the big three and has their way with them? Ain't rallying grand? ;-)

Halley ...

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts
RE: Congrats to Peugeot & Gronholm!!

I think the "family" that owns Peugeot is called Renault? With help from the French government also. Good be wrong. Wouldn't be the first or last time today.
Richard:+

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
RE: Congrats to Peugeot & Gronholm!!

When was the last time the leader on the third day threw the rally away?

I was sooooo disapointed...

·
Registered
140 Posts
RE: Entire Ford team strikes trouble at Cyprus ...

>Thanks to universal power steering failures in the works
>Ford team Peugeot lies 1 - 2 - 4 at Cyprus.

Er, don't you mean - Thanks to Colin rolling in 2 seperate stages?

·
Registered
768 Posts

Yeah...PS is not designed for roll-overs and hitting big rocks
- Great race, all in all. One stage they had some 8 guys within a few seconds!
- Makinen explained after the stage to his navigator:" I took it too easy, cought a rut and car stopped." Easy?? Didn't look like... but yes, it stopped to slide over a rutted area and he lost the second place.
- WRC is better than ever, thanks to the right producer. Thank you David Richards!

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Goiing into SS17 (when I posted), this was the info shared on rally-live.com:

"When one of a team's drivers loses power steering that is bad enough, but when it happens to all four drivers you realise pretty quickly you have a serious problem on your hands. This is what is facing the Ford Rallye Sport team as not only has Carlos Sainz lost power steering, as had initially been reported, but so have Colin McRae, Markko Martin and Touhino (privately entered Ford).

"During the day's third stage, Lageia-Kalavasas, Sainz lost 1:31.9, Martin lost 1:54.7, Touhino 1:58.1, and McRae lost 47. Sainz's problem meant that he dropped down to twelfth place from tenth and is now behind Touhino, while although Martin lost time he was able to retain his eighth place. McRae however felt it the most as his loss of time means that he is now 50 seconds behind rally leader Marcus Gronholm with just three stages left to play for."

Maybe the power steering problem had something to do with the flip(s)?

Halley ...

·
Registered
140 Posts
One thing that I noticed from the Cyprus coverage was how much the roads look like Rim of the World stages, except I think Cyprus has longer straights.

Tom

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa.) Yes Tom, you are correct. I've walked up and over the Troodos Mountains way back in '71 when I spent a month there training with the grunts (infantry). The roads are indeed rough, no damage to us though, weren't going fast enough!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yea, Cyprus even has the trademark Rim waterbars! Except the WRC guys don't seem to slow down over them. Watching that coverage made me question my sanity in wanting to become a rally driver.

·
Registered
163 Posts
>Yea, Cyprus even has the trademark Rim waterbars! Except
>the WRC guys don't seem to slow down over them.

Those who know how to drive the Rim waterbars don't slow down either! You would be surprised how big of a waterbar a car with a good suspension, can hit flat out. What ever you do, don't hit your brakes going into a waterbar, things will break.

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

1 - 14 of 14 Posts