Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a deal is getting closer at Subie. From wrc.com:

The identity of Petter Solberg?s 2004 Subaru team mate should become apparent soon, following the news that Colin McRae ? most people?s favourite for the drive ? visited the team?s headquarters earlier this week for discussions.

Although both parties have yet to confirm that a deal for the 1995 World Champion to replace Richard Burns is in place, speculation is rife that a preliminary agreement has been tabled.

Subaru team boss David Lapworth has refused to discuss details of drivers or budgets.

?The meetings in Japan last week were very positive and we?re looking to be in a position to make a full assault on the championship next year,? is all he would divulge.

The team is believed to be increasing its budget for 2004 in the knowledge that a change in the points-scoring rules will improve its chances of regaining the manufacturers? world championship.

McRae is being equally tight-lipped. "Obviously there's an interest, but we haven't discussed anything in detail," he said.

If the deal does come about it would mark a return to the Japanese marque for 35-year old McRae. He drove for the team between 1991 and 1998, winning the 1995 world title.

He had looked to be out of a drive in the WRC after losing his seat with Citroen due to regulation changes. With Richard Burns' illness forcing the Englishman to miss the 2004 season, McRae seemed to be a logical choice for Subaru.

World Champion Petter Solberg has already said that he would enjoy working with McRae again. They were briefly team mates at Ford in 1999 and 2000.

"It's not something I would object to," he said. "I actually think it would be positive.?

© Copyright wrc.com

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well, that's cause he's the most colourful character in the championship.

When asked why they checked in at the wrong time: "Why don't you ask the Welsh Wizard?" (referring to Welsh co-driver Nicky Grist).

Or how about skating his car along the top of the rock wall, the back end of the car sliding 500 feet above the Meditteranean, all the while Nicky Grist is yelling "Listen to me, COLIN!!!!"

Or all those videos of him kicking cars that have crapped out on him, or that he's rolled.......

I'm sure other people have many more stories about him than all the other drivers in the WRC.......

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Let's have some predictions for 2004 before we even end 2003. Who will finish in the top 5 and for those that are even bolder, which order do you think they'll finish in? I'll go first. Loeb, Solberg, McRae, Sainz and Duval.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
McRae, Solberg, Gronholm, Sainz ... Loeb will miss several events.

·
Registered
510 Posts
>
>This week's copy of autosport confirms McRae for Subaru.
>

Is this for sure, for real? None of the online WRC boards have any confirmation about it, and it's almost half a day later.

They're not just confirming that Subaru and McRae are talking?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah, I know Autosport is accurate. But I'm thinking that even the most up-to-date paper magazine still has some lag time (publishing, printing, delivering to newsstands or mailing to subscribers). The news there is at least 3-4 days old.

3 of the online up-to-date rally news boards should be able to, at least keep up with, if not be faster with the news than a paper magazine. They're putting stuff up every day.

Not one of the 3 says a deal has been reached. This is why I'm wondering......

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Autosport is very good. This week's issue also has a great WRC year in review set of articles. I recommend it.

The actual quote is "Colin McRae is all but certain to return to the Subaru team for next year's World Rally Championship, and the 1995 title-holder will receive a warm welcome from current champion Petter Solberg."

They do admit that a deal is not signed but their "sources suggest the talks have reached an advanced stage and that only the final terms have to be agreed." Basically the authors are brits and well connected in Banbury.

And they're fast with their breaking news. Note also how perceptive and subtle the WRC year in review is when dealing with Peugeot politics and Ford mechanical failures. It's just good writing. You don't typically get this stuff on message boards.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The difference between the message boards and Autosport is simple. Message boards can post news immediately, but tend not to have sources. Autosport, being as well-established as it is, has numerous reliable sources it can lean on to get reasonably solid info before Joe Anyone Messageboard Moderator can.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Prodrive boss David Richards told the media that ?it doesn't look good' for Colin McRae to join Subaru.

According to Richards, McRae is just too expensive for Subaru to afford, as the team has to take into account the increased costs of competing in the 2004 Championship. Next season will be more expensive thanks to the addition of two extra events.

McRae is expected to hear his fate on Friday, although the team will only be making an official announcement on Monday.

·
Registered
250 Posts
RE: McRae in... NOPE

It's official no Flying Scotsman for next year... from autosport.com

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=25523&s=8

No 2004 Subaru deal for McRae
Ex-champ gutted to lose out

McRae is disappointed to have missed out on a Subaru chance

Colin McRae will not drive for Subaru in next year's World Rally Championship following the Banbury team's decision not to offer him a 2004 seat.

The decision was taken at a meeting in Monte Carlo this afternoon between Subaru World Rally Team officials and high-ranking members of Subaru Japan. McRae, who was told his services would not be required earlier this evening, was angry and confused about the way the negotiations had broken down.

The 35-year-old Scot, who won his only world title with Subaru in 1995, tested the team's Impreza WRC2003 in Wales last week and believed the deal for his return was all-but confirmed.

McRae was quick to point out that the stumbling block for the deal was not his salary for 2004.

?This deal was not about the money, it was about me being in a team that could have given me one more crack at the World Rally Championship," he said. "Subaru could have had a cracking team with Petter (Solberg) and myself. I've never been more disappointed with anything in my entire time in the championship.?

McRae, who was not retained by the Citroen team at the end of this season, will now focus his attentions on a forthcoming attempt at Telefonica Dakar, driving a Nissan.

World rallying's commercial boss David Richards was disappointed not to see McRae back in the championship, saying: ?Some sports have iconic figures and Colin is one of them. It was Colin that helped put Subaru on the map. I don't think some people understand the impact of not having him in the car.?

Subaru World Rally Team will make an official announcement on Monday about who will partner Solberg at Subaru next season. Finnish driver Mikko Hirvonen is rumoured to be favourite for the seat.

I can definitely say that WRC will not be the same next year...

Greg,

·
Registered
50 Posts

If his salary was not the stumbling block, then what was? I hate these things. Wonder what the heck it was?

Good luck in the Dakar, Colin.

Harry

·
Registered
510 Posts

Have you ever heard the expression "if someone tells you it's not the money, it's the principle, then it's definitely the money"????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts