Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was up to 4th place yesterday. Then, today, this news:

"Colin McRae (Nissan n°202) was given a penalty (7min30) for speeding in Er Rachidia. McRae drops down to 8th spot at 18min42."

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I thought Tina was supposed to be able to keep Colin under control?

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
436 Posts
Does anyone know the "American" that the Speed coverage
keeps following? Does he have rally experience, or just
an off-roader?

Patrick

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
One crew in an off road truck.

And a group of bikers.

None of the names rang a bell.

press on,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Larry Roesseler (Sp.) is running a KTM bike. He's a god of off road bike racing here. He has run Baja events in a truck.

He also ran Laughlin 2001 in a PGT Talon.

Brian

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, I have never seen or knew anything about the Dakar and much like rallying I only paid attention cause I knew the name Colin McRae, so I thought I would take a look to see what this race is about.

DAMN!!!!

I know earlier someone listed some sites that gave background on rally raids and what some rules are but I can't seem to find it. Help is appreciated.

Also, I really like the coverage on the Dakar. I know there are hundreds of people in this race, but the crews seem to do a good job finding the stories that are interesting in the race. Example, the Spaniard who broke his radiator and had to ask the spectators to help him find a new one, all the while he was crying his eyes out cause he thought he was out in front of his home crowd.

It made my roomate stop what he was doing and watch the TV.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
79 Posts
The American that is competing in a Chevy 2WD Trophy Truck is Mark Miller. This guy runs mainly off-road events in trucks, but has won the BAJA 1000 on a motorcycle. He has run Pike's Peak, Baja 500/1000, Atlas Rally in Africa, Dakar, and many other off-road events with great success. He did really well in last year's Dakar, has won tons of endurance off-road races, and has some class records at Pike's Peak (in a car). He has a cool website at www.markmillerracing.com , it's worth a look.
Also check out www.dakar.com
:D
I love this stuff...
Andy

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Nissan had some problems today:

"The Nissan team, apparently had problems recovering from yesterday's long special. Indeed, De Villiers (n°208), McRae (n°202) and Vatanen (n°205) all finished over 2h40 from the day's winner."

Colin's now down to 8th place, 3:31:58 behind the leader.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's all over but the crying:

"Colin McRae?s dreams of glory in the Paris-Dakar Rally were in tatters last night following a second consecutive mechanical failure.

The Scotsman lost almost three hours on Thursday when he lost his four-wheel-drive system and transmission gremlins struck again yesterday to leave him completely out of contention.

McRae, the 1995 World Rally champion, suffered a gearbox problem on his Nissan during the 736-kilometre stage from Tidjikja to Nema in Mauritania which meant he had to creep towards the finish line."

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I think that statement is garbage! Just because he lost a few hours does NOT mean that he's finished. He didn't really have a chance with being that far back anyway. My hat is off to him and anyone else who finishes this rally, regardless of their finishing position! There is still a LOOOONG way to go yet and anything can and may happen.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Non-finishers were given an elapsed time of 20 hours for the stage. (Masuoka's stage-winning time was 9:03:43.)

Colin and Tina spent the night in the desert. Since stages 11 and 12 were cancelled because of the bandits, they need to arrive at the bivouac for stage 12 at Bobo Dioulasso by the required time on Sunday to remain in the rally--as I understand the situation.

Georges, The Camel Trader

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, he just doesn't know the word "quit". From Jan 12th:

"Colin McRae has reached the Dakar Rally's rest halt in Bobodioulasso and has been classified 21st, giving him every chance of climbing the order in the last week of the event.

Transmission trouble stranded the Lanark driver's Nissan in Friday?s stage between Tidjikja and Nema until Sunday afternoon and he was awarded the maximum penalty time of 20 hours - approximately half the time he in fact spent stranded in the Sahara. His pick-up is currently undergoing an extensive rebuild."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts