Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing roumors that now that Colin McRae is out of a factory ride in the WRC he is looking at maybe trying his hand at some round and round, go fast turn left, or NASCAR as it is otherwise known. Has anyone heard anything about this. If he actualy does I might even have to watch a race or two to see how he does. Just want to know what is up with this

Otis

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
That would be interesting. It would just be one more NASCAR boy whose native language is "English" and we still can't understand a word he says!

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
265 Posts
>I've codriven rally and riden around most NASCAR tracks at
>speed. Nascar is pretty boring in comparision to rallying.

RIDING around a NASCAR oval would be pretty boring. DRIVING around a NASCAR oval with 40 other cars at nearly 200 mph takes a lot of concentration and skill.

NASCAR does not thrill me the way it once did (in the days of Fireball Roberts, Joe Weatherly, Charlie Glotzbach, heck even into the 1980s), and nowhere near what rallying does, but it does take a certain type of skill.

And I would much rather watch a NASCAR race than any NFL game. Heck, NASCAR is even more exciting than F1 these days.

I don't believe Colin would make the cut in NASCAR.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I have been hearing roumors that now that Colin McRae is out
>of a factory ride in the WRC he is looking at maybe trying
>his hand at some round and round, go fast turn left, or
>NASCAR as it is otherwise known. Has anyone heard anything
>about this. If he actualy does I might even have to watch a
>race or two to see how he does. Just want to know what is
>up with this
>
>Otis

He made this comment sometime last year, IIRC after he had run in the ASCAR oval race at Rockingham (UK). He did creditably well in that race (6th?).

Adrian

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
My rides were at 180-190 MPH with drafting, being drafted and side by side with other cars, some of it with Buddy Baker driving (super nice guy). While we weren't racing, it was pretty close. These were recently retired Jeff Gordon, Ernhart Jr., ...cars, not some minivan or Saab.

The cars are set upto drive themselves around the given track, there is little braking or shifting and you only peer out of the same portion of the windsheild the entire time.

What was cool the amount of Gforces and grip. Different from the super speedways from the extreme banked tracks like Bristol, but both still stuck like glue.

The wall is nowhere as scary as trees and exposure.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
With the season essentially underway, I doubt it would happen on a regular basis. But I have little doubt he'd do well. If nothing else, I don't know two cultures more similar than southern good ole boy and Scottish "feck yoo". And they're both out abusing crappy cars on deserted country roads from before puberty. Strange as it may seem, I think he'd fit in fine, and might really enjoy it.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
>That would be interesting. It would just be one more NASCAR
>boy whose native language is "English" and we still can't
>understand a word he says!
>
>Scott
>www.teamharco.com
>Team Harco Motorsports
>"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

McRae is a scot, which means his native language would be Galic.

Whiplash RallyeSport

1 - 9 of 9 Posts