Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry for crosspost)
I am looking for someone who would be interested in a rally vacation with the MAZDASPEED Rally Team USA. Okay...honestly, I need a driver(s) to take my rig out to the west coast next week for the Wild West ProRally in Olympia, WA.

If you and someone else can get there in 2 days
and back in 2 days, you could do it with 5 vac. days.
When we went to Rim last year, we did it in two days,
just stopped in Reno for a shower and a nap. A bit
longer than this trip, even.

If you took off after work on Tues.(let's say 7pm) and
drove taking turns with someone till 10pm the on Wed.,
you would could stop and sleep in Butte, Montana for 9
hours and still make it to Olympia by 7pm on Thurs.

Or you can go the "2 nights each way" plan. I will pay for your hotels either way, but this one will require more time off.

You would be leaving Tues. morning Sep. 2nd for Washington and arriving in Olympia on the evening of Thurs. Sep. 4th. I will fly in on Thurs. and unload/wash the car for an early Friday press event. The rally proper runs Sat. and Sun. You would be returning Monday morning and getting back on Wed. night, Sep. 10.

It's 38 mapquest hours which tends to be a little long even with a trailer.

Of course, I will pay for hotels and van fuel/needs. The a/c works in the van (front and rear) as does the CD player. (no, you are not obligated to listen to the zoomzoom song.) I may be able to pay a small stipend for for food, etc. as well...let's talk.

I am in pretty dire need. If no one is able to do this I will be tearing up my plane ticket and driving it myself, but my boss isn't going to like it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Orrrrrr...Does anybody have experience with a car shipper that can ship my car and service van out there? My sponsor that had agreed to ship my stuff out there has backed out unexpectedly. (and hence I have a nice plain white hood behind the Mazdaspeed stickers).

Anyone deal with car shippers? Can recommend one for a fair price?

Thank you,
Eric

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure about fair price but the two BIG DOGS in Detroit are:

Pilot Transport - transfered my wrecked Charger back from Minnesota once.
Reliable Transport - transferred a car from California to Michigan another time.

If I remember right, it was about $1000 or so.

Brian

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Reliable is drumming up a quote for me, but I am not very optimistic. They charged JCI $12,000 to move my stuff for Rim and $10,000 for WW last year.

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
>Anyone deal with car shippers? Can recommend one for a fair
>price?

Contact Nick at 7-24 AirX, phone 800.216.3876. He's a rally nut like the rest of us and one of our sponsors besides, so I'm sure he'd cut you a decent deal.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Thank you so much, John. Calling now.
>
>Eric

Eric,

You have to tell us if this works out... So the rest of us can add this phone number to our roledex's...

Trevor

·
Registered
55 Posts
If this guy's a rally nut he may understand deadlines. But check the fine print: I missed my first rally ever waiting for the arrival of my car by shipper from the East Coast. Verbal promise of 10 days became 15 days, well within the written contract.
btw, price depends on time of year, and of course start of school is peak time. I paid about $500 in 2001 from NH to northern CA.
Good luck!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey Eric,
If you don't get there until Thrusday night how are you going to get the car through tech? Or are you just going to run club and do tech and reg on a Friday?

See you in the woods,

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see. God, I love these wasted days at rallies. Tech/reg. til 8 means it has to get there by 5 or 6 I would imagine.

I don't understand why rallies now have to be 4-to-6 day events instead of 2 days like they used to be. And if that fire issue thing makes us run Sunday night, my crew will have left for the airport before the second day is over. Nice.

Thanks for calling it to my attention, Jay.

Cheers,
Eric

G

·
eric-

sent you an e-mail. I can probably do this for you. I will be Kalamazoo this weekend and could pick up the van and trailer Tuesday if you don't arrange something else.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
Or you could do a 9 hour tow to Cherokee. :)

Wilson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts