Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Loose Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note to anyone rallying a Mazda, thinking about rallying a Mazda, or simply staring at a Mazda and a pile of DOM tubing and wondering what to do with it: we just re-wrote the rally contingency rules and made it MUCH EASIER to get some cash.

The new rules are also retroactive to the beginning of 2010, so if you had a Mazda in the dirt this year, check the rules and see if you have already won something!

The official rules are here: http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/pdfs/contingency/contingency.pdf (Read pages 1, 2 and 10)

Here's a plain-English explanation:

ANY Rally America or NASA stage rally over 30 miles qualifies. National, regional, it doesn't matter. Previously it was only national level events, and since there's no such thing as a NASA national, we accidentally left NASA out completely.

Contingency payouts on multi-day national/regional RA events are paid out per day (as long as each day is over 30 stage miles), so you can crash one day and win the next and still come home with something. The Per-day payouts are half of what the per-rally payouts used to be, so if you win both days, you get the same total payout as before.

Payouts are broken into small chunks--some money for highest-finishing Mazda overall, some money for 1st or 2nd place in 2WD (we just combine all 2WD classes). One 2WD team can win $1200 on a 2-day weekend if they win 2WD both days, and they're the fastest Mazda overall. If a GTX shows up and takes their lunch money on the overall, they still have $800 of 2WD-only money to win. If they come in second one of those days, they still get $600. If they just crash out one day and win another, there's still $400. There are a LOT of ways to get some kind of cash.

Dave Henderson is racing the Mazda3 that I started building a few years ago (http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30459&highlight=mazda3+rally), and he's the one who pointed out how restrictive our old rules were. Only two events in his region qualified, and to be eligible, he would have to pay the big-bucks national entry fee. With the new rules, I think he's got 6 or 7 qualifying events, and he gets to do the "cheap" registration at Olympus and Oregon Trail. If these new rules are helpful to you, you can thank Hendo for bringing the problem to my attention.

If you have any questions or ideas, let me know. I work in Mazda R&D, not Mazdaspeed Motorsports, but I'm just a few steps away from those guys and I've got their ear on rally.

-Dave Coleman

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's great!

I did notice that page 10 has SCCA Rallycross payouts.
Do you know or can you find out if they are per class?

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Wonder who will put out the first Mazda2 rally car. Dave, you know how much swappable the parts are from the M-Sport R2 Fiesta?

·
Registered
130 Posts
VERY good news! I noticed the restrictive old rules but didn't point 'em out because I figured they were that way for a reason!

You just made it a lot more likely that I'll finally get off my ass and build a G2/5 car over the winter!

·
Tree? what tree?
632 Posts
OMFG, fantastic. We woulda got contingency money at doowop 08 and wildwest that year if this had been in place then?! Must... finish... project...

·
150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust
1,042 Posts
Shaun,
I still have the lil Mazda/Ranger truck, the cage is in but not completely finished yet (funding issues).
Looks like no RallyX for this year with it....The Big Iron (F-150) is almost ready for a shake down (Shake Ground with the new Dart 383 V8).

Bill Holmes
Truck #44

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
I like the new additive payout scheme. Just an observation, it discourages one from entering national events. For whatever that's worth. Running 2 regionals instead of 1 national allows one to double their money. I think it's probably appropriate for the state of 2wd in rallying right now, though, with MaxAttack! being the most meaningful 2wd championship and since it allows regional entries as well.

Thanks again, Dave. Neat way to do it.

·
Trogdor
915 Posts
The way I interpret it, it only counts for the Big Show, not the left coast/right coast mini-Nationals.

I placed either 5th or 6th in M2 at Eastern States this year against some stiff competition. Easily the fastest RWD car of the day, and fastest Mazda by default.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The way I interpret it, it only counts for the Big Show, not the left coast/right coast mini-Nationals.

I placed either 5th or 6th in M2 at Eastern States this year against some stiff competition. Easily the fastest RWD car of the day, and fastest Mazda by default.
Yeah, when I reread it that was my interpretation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts