Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justin Pritchard (former FC "Runoffs" champ, current FF racer and recent addition to the motley crew of SORT drivers) and his 100AW navvie/race support chap, Bryan Cohn, may soon be seen rallying this:

http://www.realautosport.com/Harvey/PritMini.jpg

I understand it's headed here from Britain ...

I can see it now, the Hitoric class at 100AW 2003:
Smith's MGB
Byford's BMW 2002
Wheeler's MGB
Pritchard's Mini
VanKoughnet's BMW 1602
Morgan's BMW 2002
MacDonald's Volvo 142
Brewer's Stratos!
-and-
maybe a surprise or two ...

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
265 Posts
RE: Clocking time

>Can I run an Arrow?

A Plymouth Arrow? A Mitsubishi Celeste?

Too new. Cutoff date is early 70s.

A Fire Arrow?

Just Do It! A Fire Arrow would still be competitive in Group 5, especially in the hands of a certain fellow from Milwaukee with a Polish surname.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Colin and Ben are both building Cortinas. And from our conversations at STPR, it sounds like Colin will be on the road with his in time for an H Class Bash at 100AW-2k3. Kim??

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Nothing would please me more than a HUGE contingent of H-Class at 100AW. What can we do to motivate all the wrench turning that appears to be going on out there? This forum must be seeing at least a dozen in-the-works H cars right now. If all goes well, the course car will be the 510! (4 car garage needs to get finished first).

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kim asked:
>What can we do to motivate all the wrench
>turning that appears to be going on out there?

Who here has connections with Hemmings Motor News, British Auto Service of Columbus, Ohio (nudge-nudge-wink-wink) or some other seller of vintage stuff? Wouldn't it be cool to hit them up for a travelling trophy or even some kind of prize fund contribution? Shoot, 100AW is now the birthplace of the SCCA Historic Class, why not letit be the home for an annual Historic Shootout? Offer up the sort of prize(s) we coveted back in the old days when getting your name on some trophy was more important than a money reward. When we were most stoked about getting out on those roads and having a jolly good thrash?

Were RealAutoSport, LLC a viable, sponsored entity I'd do it in a heartbeat. If a recycled trophy from my past endeavours is good enough, I'll contribute one of those!

Halley ...

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Colin and Ben are both building Cortinas. And from our
>conversations at STPR, it sounds like Colin will be on the
>road with his in time for an H Class Bash at 100AW-2k3.
>Kim??

Still nothing to report on my Cortina project... No progress.

Ben

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
For British Auto Service (Eric Jones) connections, Phil Smith's your man. They live close to each other and have that "B" thing going. Eric has been going to some events to service for Phil, I would think it wouldn't take too much arm twisting. Perhaps he can be convinced to dig the B.A.S. 510 out of the storage shed too.

Kent Gardam

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>For British Auto Service (Eric Jones) connections, Phil
>Smith's your man. They live close to each other and have
>that "B" thing going. Eric has been going to some events to
>service for Phil, I would think it wouldn't take too much
>arm twisting. Perhaps he can be convinced to dig the B.A.S.
>510 out of the storage shed too.
>
>Kent Gardam

Thanks Kent - Actually, the "(nudge-nudge-wink-wink)" was all about the well known Smith/Jones collaboration. ;)

I think it was LSPR 2000 shortly after I got the freshly-flipped SORT back to service (across the street from where the B's needs were being ministered to) that Eric and I realized we were once again at the same rally!

I ran fast sweep at Sunriser for Eric one year when I was between cars but didn't want to miss Chillicothe in September. He simply asked, "What are you up to this weekend?" Next thing I knew I was flogging the "I wish I had a PEUGEOT pickup" truck down the stages chasing the final rally car in the serial.

I think a battle for the Historic Cup (or whatever) could be a real highlight of 100AW. Since MG is leading the lifetime results to date, "they" should offer up the "prize." An oak bucket ... a burned out relay. Some distinctive something someone has laying around. I'd offer one of the two large Pikes Peak trophies I have except I still like showing them off to visitors. And my wife has arranged dried flowers in them ... [sigh]

I wanna see that green 510 back out and playing again!!!

Halley ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK. I'll look into a travelling trophy etc... No promises as to what it will be. For what it's worth, Dan Cook/Bill Rhodes and I have already discussed just such a trophy for the best-performing H Class car in any ProRally event with 2 or more H Class cars running (since there can't be a formal H Class competition in ProRally anyway).

Here's the IFs:
1. 100AW becomes the Official Event of the *one and future* annual H-Class shootout, henceforth known as the H Class Bash. I can't think of a better location - reasonably central, great roads, the right size event, a strong memory of the history of the event, and it's a ClubRally event so that there can be an Official Prize for H Class.

Well, I guess that's just one "if." Feedback?

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Repeat, scmhepeat ...

>OK. I'll look into a travelling trophy etc... No promises
>as to what it will be. For what it's worth, Dan Cook/Bill
>Rhodes and I have already discussed just such a trophy for
>the best-performing H Class car in any ProRally event with 2
>or more H Class cars running (since there can't be a formal
>H Class competition in ProRally anyway).

Cool!

>Here's the IFs:
>1. 100AW becomes the Official Event of the *one and future*
>annual H-Class shootout, henceforth known as the H Class
>Bash. I can't think of a better location - reasonably
>central, great roads, the right size event, a strong memory
>of the history of the event, and it's a ClubRally event so
>that there can be an Official Prize for H Class.

Yup - 100AW was a hit in the old days and has hiot the ground running this century. I'm pretty certain that 100AW will be hosting the CRNC for the next few years, so why not another championship?

>Well, I guess that's just one "if." Feedback?

Hmmm ... Kinda makes a guy wonder if a gynecologist really needs to count past one? :eek:

(Sorry, it slipped out) ...

Halley ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
RE: Repeat, scmhepeat ...

>
>Hmmm ... Kinda makes a guy wonder if a gynecologist really
>needs to count past one? :eek:
>
>(Sorry, it slipped out) ...
>

Uh, Mike....don't get me confused with the orthopods ("bone broke, me fix")...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, my Cortina will be done in time for 100AW 2003, hopefully by LSPR, but that is a stretch. Too much 'other' work in the garage to catch up on first.
George Beckerman and I bought another Cortina GT( picked it up STPR weekend ) and we will be creating a simple, quick wee car. A Cortina probably weighs about the same as an MGB - 1600lbs. Don't need much HP to motivate that well.
What I'm really looking forward to with Historic Class is a more friendly but still competitive group of drivers. After talking to many of the potential participants I believe we will have MORE fun that the 'regular' rallyists. And the spectators LOVE our old cars. I can't wait.

Colin (555 ProRally Sierra)

Oh yes, and my Cortina will have a better power to weight ratio than most of the current G2 cars out there. Hehehe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts