Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this on www.worldrallynews.com...interesting...

"I've always thought that rallying was made for the United States. If they ever got to understand it, it would go down very well there. The trouble with the United States is they've got so much sport in general and so much motorsport that it's very hard to sell things over there, but maybe it'll come."

3 days until Sandblast! Hope to see some of yall there!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The problem with Max Mosley and the rest of his crew is that they don't understand the US, and they don't want to. We will do it their way, or they will punish us by staying in Europe(or, better still, a lot of third world countries that still allow tobacco advertising). I, for one, would welcome a return of FIA(including WRC) rallying to the United States. I don't want to see it badly enough to become a colony of anyone.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Joe--Actually the FIA is already here, including F-1.

Also, what Mosley says is not that terribly stupid (strange for Max).
There is a lot of motorsports in the US but maybe not enough of the type we like.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
True. However, remember F1 has come and gone and come and gone and come and gone and come again(I think I have the number right). As has WRC, to a lesser extent(come and gone and come and gone again). I think it has only survived at Indy because of Tony George. Remember, F1 is a distant 3rd in popularity of three races held yearly at his track. Without some concession by the Yurpeens to the unique nature of the US of A(for example, Congress is not going to pass any laws to allow Bernie, et. al., to circumvent our laws). I(sadly) predict that F1 will be gone again in a few years.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
WHAAAA?

I'm still trying to figure out what he means?
"I've always thought that rallying was made for the United States. If they ever got to understand it, it would go down very well there."
Unless he's means the terrain and acreage, it makes no sense at all.
If We don't get it, it isn't made for us.
Made for us is something you can comfortably attend without effort and know everything that's going on with constant updates. Rally has neither. (but it looks great on TV with good action in every well-blocked shot).
rz
(my speed factor sucks, both of them)
---
edit - add the following:
and promotors need to be able to make money with attendance. The Glen and PIR (Phoenix) use men on horseback to look for gate-crashers but the area they cover is pretty small compared to a 24 mile stage. Without a profit factor, rally is NOT made for the US

·
Registered
58 Posts
RE: WHAAAA?

It has just as much chance as any other foreign sport becoming popular in the United States, slim to none. Thats my opinion.

The general American public; everyone I have yet to talk to, isnt all that interested in foreign anything. But I think if the media decided to cover Rally events extensivley, besides speed which is half a**ed at that, it would catch on. But why would the media try something new.

My two cents

·
Registered
194 Posts

> It has just as much chance as any other foreign sport
>becoming popular in the United States, slim to none. Thats
>my opinion.
>
>The general American public; everyone I have yet to talk to,
>isnt all that interested in foreign anything. But I think
>if the media decided to cover Rally events extensivley,
>besides speed which is half a**ed at that, it would catch
>on. But why would the media try something new.
>
>My two cents

If the sport was run Professinally by a company not a club it would be a hit........... Geared towards sponsorship/TV coverage/ spectators ............. You cant do that with a club ;) Everywhere I take my car people ask if I race in Europe ....No one has a clue that rallys take place in the USA .........So if a company "ADVERTISED" the race's then I am sure it would get attention.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

I agree with Tex. There are deffinitely too many people that see a rally clip off the internet oe the pictures I have from rallies that think its just too cool for words for the sport not to grow if it was geared more towards spetators in the US. Part of the SCCA connundrum, to lean towards spectators and media coverage or favour the competitor....

Edit for spelling

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
>"I've always thought that rallying was made for the United
>States. If they ever got to understand it, it would go down
>very well there. The trouble with the United States is
>they've got so much sport in general and so much motorsport
>that it's very hard to sell things over there, but maybe
>it'll come."

I think what he's referring to has nothing to do with any of us but our commonly ignorant public. Look at what the most popular motorsport in the USA is and the most popular sport. Both kind of ******* in my opinion. But then again, I'm from Wyoming so what do I know. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts