Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben: I really enjoyed the interview with Mark Lovell. It is interesting to see how someone such as Mark earned his ride and the insight to some of his thoughts regarding the sport in the USA. Great questions and some excellent research into Marks back ground made for very interesting reading for myself.
Thanks for the great work.;)

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
I agree...great interview. A couple comments in particular I thought were important:

1. Having a "Find a Driver" program...or an emerging talent support system. Much like Red Bull is doing for F1 at the moment.

2. His question: "Where do the American rally fraternity want the SCCA ProRally championship to go?" I think everyone has to figure this out in order for the series and sport to progress in a methodical and coherent manner.

Good stuff! More interviews please!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, nice work Ben.
By the way, I think you could have told him that almost every rally person in the US wants the sport to grow and that we want to see top teams here. We are glad he is here and we are glad that Subaru, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi have hot rally cars here. I don't think that is controversial at all.

A bigger issue is that many license holders are concerned that they might lose the opportunity to compete and earn National points in their own rally cars. Fortunately inclusive policies will eventually prevail, and inclusiveness will benefit the sport. Right? Or am I just being optimistic?

I thought Mark Lovell did well with the interview. It sounds like he know that amateur competitors must continue to be the backbone of the events. Good for him!
Dave
Car # 207

·
Registered
789 Posts
I read the whole thing...Great job Ben.

If I recal, isn't Lovell's RS200 featured in a Crash Tape where the co-driver was popping out with the windshield but the car got out of the ditch?

Cheers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
>If I recal, isn't Lovell's RS200 featured in a Crash Tape
>where the co-driver was popping out with the windshield but
>the car got out of the ditch?

I've seen that clip, too (I believe it's from Scotland '86 or '87). If I recall correctly, the car loses much of its skin in the roll, but they manage to get it back underway in short order.

The article on ML was a really good read. It's always revealing to hear what initially sparked a talented rallyist's interest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts