Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else see this on SpeedNews over the weekend?
It happened at some sort of super special stage event where 'real' codrivers weren't required so NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon was riding along. The in-car shows Gordon 'yahooing' and giggling after ever yump and sideways turn. Then Gronholm rolls the car and both begin laughing and Jeff asks, "How much did this car cost?". He gets out and is jumping up and down with excitement. He is interviewed later and says how much he respects rally drivers and their skills and that he has been a big rally fan for years.

What is it going to take to get him to a US event?

If only all the NASCAR types relized that many their ancestors and early roundy-round drivers learned how to drive on twisty gravel and dirt roads while running moonshine outrunning ATF and IRS agents. Yehaw!

·
Registered
630 Posts
That was at the Nations Cup Race of Champons, or whatever its called, which we (the US) won. Marcus was giving Gordon a ride before the event started. It was funny to see a "been there, won that" jaded NASCAR guy like Jeff Gordon giggling like a little kid doing something so fun that it must be wrong. The Euro's were pretty upset to lose the thing to our NASCAR Bubba's, but in reality our motorcycle rider, 2 time World Superbike champion Colin Edwards is really the one who did it for us. He was undefeated for the event.

·
Registered
410 Posts
>If only all the NASCAR types relized that many their
>ancestors and early roundy-round drivers learned how to
>drive on twisty gravel and dirt roads while running
>moonshine outrunning ATF and IRS agents. Yehaw!

It probably would not hurt for rally drivers to remember that the skills used in rally are not far departed from bootleggers outrunning ATF and IRS agents either.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well I'm no stock car fan, but I'd be willing to bet that Jeff Gordon would be blindingly fast in a top level rally car running against anyone in North America.

Don't mistake the requirement to only turn left for a lack of skill. Don't mistake knowledge of rallying for skill.

Robin

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: Marcus Gronholm rolls and wins!

- Bubbas won the Show part but:

*** Marcus Gronholm won THE RACE of CHAMPIONS (US media din't seem to notice this.....)***

- Gordons Nascar partner actually went further than Jeff in the real race

·
Registered
630 Posts
>Don't mistake the requirement to only turn left for a lack
>of skill. Don't mistake knowledge of rallying for skill.

Dont forget that Jeff Gordon set a record for consecutive ROAD course wins (7 I think) in NASCAR so he is one of the best they have at turning both left, right, and stopping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
>It probably would not hurt for rally drivers to remember
>that the skills used in rally are not far departed from
>bootleggers outrunning ATF and IRS agents either.

Hmmm... could be a new T-shirt: "Drive It Like You Distilled It!"

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now that has got to be the funniest, most creative quote I've heard in a long time!!:D

My fathers side of the family is from Virginia. Ex-"Distillers" they were! His oldest brother was the "wheelman" who turned out to be a pretty successful NASCAR driver. I can only hope to have some of his success for racing rally.

Jim Wright

P.S. Lets not forget that Jeff is from California.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts