Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the rally, but one of the workers I spoke with said that Mark Utecht saved the day on their stage. Does anyone have the full story and circumstances surrounding the wrong way competitors on the second running of Parmacheene? I understand that Mark stopped the cars, and utilized his radio to shut down the stage, likely preventing a major disaster. If the facts are as conveyed, Mark deserves many thanks and kudos for his actions. Since this is all second hand please feel free to fill in the details or offer corrections.

Thanks,
Ward Ogden

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think Alex has probably answered your question in the other MFR thread, but it's my understanding the issue here was that on the second time through this stage, at least one car completed the new loop and was off 180 degrees on the re-entry to the primary stage road -- they headed back *up* the live stage. I guess the intersection was poorly marked/blocked (or the markings were hidden by dust... it was really, really dusty sometimes!) and they were just driving what they saw in front of them.

Which soon became Utecht, at speed? Good thing he had a radio in the car.

This is related to the Civic DQ, but in that case they missed the loop altogether, ran the tangent, and vaulted like 5 miles ahead. Presumably some caution tape strung up at lunch would have done the trick?

How about the family of three that came biking down out of the woods, and up to the East/West/Long crossroads -- about 5 minutes *after* the opening car had come through. With Lovell due any second. They had no idea there was a rally going on; they didn't even know what a rally was; they just thought there were a lot of chainsaws in the woods that day. I guess there was a bike path that T'd into SS9, and the marshals at the 8/9 controls cleared out after SS9/lunch. I reckon that's another place where there will be some caution tape next year, across the bike path...

-Isaac in Cambridge

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Mark Utecht stopped the cars on the radio, we heard him at one of the spectator areas on Magalloway Long (SS9) saying he was stopped and OK but there were three cars going the wrong direction (I think it ended up being only McCormack, I'm not sure Robinson was involved in this incident).

Later I overheard him and Matt Chester telling the story. Mark was stopped, because of 2 flats with only 1 spare, then his jack broke forcing them to stay longer at the spot. Then he heard a car coming from the wrong direction, which turned out to be McCormack, then L. O'Sullivan and Chester coming down the stage the right way. Didn't quite catch the details about what happened next, except that O'Sullivan saw Utecht and slowed/stopped. They were apparently cooking up to that point, because they got going again and, I think, won the stage for G2. I'm sure Mark Utecht will have more details once he gets online.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland
"Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else." -- Isaiah 45:22

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Heard by me, first hand from Utecht at banquet. Utecht had 2 flats and got out to change them. His jack broke and he only had one spare so they called it quits. Meanwhile he hears a car coming at them full song so he heads in one direction and Jeff in the other to stop the cars. He also had a ham and radioed back to start to stop the stage until all was resolved. If he had had only 1 flat and no broken jack, who knows what would have happened. While banner tape is not foolproof, there was virtually none used at Maine and some certainly could not have hurt in this situation. I for one, intend to push the issue to determine what could have been done differently/better. As Mark said, you're talking about a closing speed of 160 MPH if 2 cars had met. As Bruce Perry indicated in another thread, the info given at start concerning the "truck" was apparently inconsistent. All we were told was that there was a truck parked along the road at mileage (I believe it was) 4.88. I also had to take very evasive measures to not hit the unexpected vehicle in the road.

128 Posts
The truck in the stage was not cool, it obviously wasn't planned or we'd have had much more serious warning.

Carl and I were another of the crews to take the right fork instead of going left and skinnying by the truck. We did figure it out quickly and turned around however.

Coming out of a R5 into that intersection meant most cars were carrying a LOT of speed. When I saw the truck there was no way I was heading down that road even if the orange arrows were pointing that way!

Anyway hopefully we all learned something AND no one got hurt.

Best regards,

Matthew
www.trirally.com
G2 811

1 - 5 of 5 Posts