Downs/Obry - O
Penasack/Goldfarb - PGT
Furey/Heneghan - G2
DNF
Block/Gelsomino - GN
Clark/Bachta - G2
Sanborn/McKelvie - O
Arango/Doyle - P

A quick thanks to Brett Rudolf and his crew for scoring. Times for the 4 stages should be up on the web site, www.maineforestrally.com in a short while.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine was a brake system failure. Pedal to the floor, no slow. Fluid was all gone in the rear most MC mostly gone in the front. I was able to continue the stage and get back to service thru luck,long range planning and a working e-brake. Havent looked to see what failed yet but I didnt see any fluid (at least I couldnt see anything among the frozen sand and mud on the underside of the car) and I didnt bring any parts to fix what ever went out so isolating it at that point was pretty pointless - our day was done...

Monday: I spent much of the day pressure washing about 50 pounds of road sand and salt (I hate trailering the car in winter) off the car and trailer...put it up on the lift this afternoon. I found a HUGE bend in the left rear wheel inner lip - I can see the tube!! When I rotated the wheel on the car I found on each revolution it was hitting the brake hard line that exits the caliper. That solves the banging sound we heard during the last of SS1 and on SS2. The line itself was not damaged much by the wheel. However the tube flare at the axle end now rotates below the flare nut. That explains the loss of fluid. The flare sheared off the end of the tube. Not known yet is why the other diagonal system wouldnt hold brake pressure.

Also: A big thank you to the stage workers! It was real cold, some times windy and not much sun. Not a great day to be standing outdoor all day. We appreciate your dedication.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand all the dnf's were mechanical.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
>From what I understand all the dnf's were mechanical.

Roads were almost comically slippy. Most DNFs were "mechanical" due to contact with nasty objects (mostly granite) off the proper line.

I believe that each and every car bounced off the scenery several times.

We went off almost immediately, and somehow managed not to hit anything vital. Then caught an Evo that was flailing in the snow on gravel tires, passed them, and then we promptly spun. The Evo got by, we got out of the ditch, caught up to them, and they they spun again. We got launched off something while squeaking by (no way to stop, too slippy) and then finally settled down. It was that kind of day...and this was just the first part of Stage One!

Super job by organizers, wonderfully low-key event. Anybody who finished EARNED it.

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
>I believe that each and every car bounced off the scenery
>several times.
>
>We went off almost immediately, and somehow managed not to hit
>anything vital. Then caught an Evo that was flailing in the
>snow on gravel tires, passed them, and then we promptly spun.
>The Evo got by, we got out of the ditch, caught up to them,
>and they they spun again. We got launched off something while
>squeaking by (no way to stop, too slippy) and then finally
>settled down. It was that kind of day...and this was just the
>first part of Stage One!
>
>
>
>Dave G
>www.lastditchracing.net
>
>"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

...and that evo was across the road getting out when we got there. Our choice was either t-bone them or stuff it, Allen choose the latter, we landed off the bank on top of a bunch of sapplings against some soft trees. climbed up & out of the car the evo was gone and had to watch everyone else go by until sweep showed and got us out with a couple of tugs. Had fun the rest of the day.

Caught 5 cars on stage 2 so the car was good. Spun 2x, etc. on stage 3. Ran the last 10 miles of stage 4 with a flat/missing left frt tire, only went off once and only lost about 1:30 compared to stage 2!

Bernie

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>Should be posted shortly - here is a quick look at the
>overall -
>
>Choiniere/Becker- O
>Duplessis/McNelly - G2

How about a big congratulations to Duplessis/McNelly in 2nd overall in a Gp2 GTI!

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
I worked at the first junction, and at the downhill left 2 just after it. Duplessis/McNelly were flying! All in all it seemed pretty slow, but to see the 2WD cars go by just as fast as the 4WDs was cool. Ken was flying until he DNF'ed, that was impressive too.

Alex

·
Registered
478 Posts
flying finish of stage 1, ken was right behind paul. he must have been haulin to catch up with paul.

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
I was captaining SS 1-3 start/SS 2-4 finish. The ground of course was quite icy; tire choice was critical. Some teams could barely make it up the fist hill from our start - they prety quickly realized that they made the wrong tire choice!
Matt Iorio was running an A2 chassis VW Golf; probably just to have a good time and not to jeopardize his Subaru.
So, picture this - on SS2 the finish line radio's in his time but we don't see the car. Matt's gone off 150' past the finish line; (Probably illuminated the "Check Underwear" light on the dashboard too.) we're at the control car thinking "where the hell is #18?!". Well, a few minutes later Matt comes into the control with parts dangling off of the VW and pulls into our open "crash zone". I run over to the the car to get the timing card and to my surprise find Matt but no co-driver! "Matt, where the hell's your co-driver?" He replies panicked "I don't know, I couldn't find him". Well, it ends up that as soon as they stopped, the C-D (Fryeberg - sp?) jumped out with the triangle knowing of course that another car was due real soon down that same icy slope.
Well Matt managed to get the car out, looked around for his C-D and not finding him decided to move to a safer spot (the control). I can only imagine the C-D's panicked reaction when after running up the slope to set the triangle and running back to the car and not finding it he now had to once again run up to retrieve the triangle and then jog down the .17 to the control! When he finally got there he was a little winded (<- subtle understatement).
Of course now they were panicked that they were going to be late for the next time control until I reminded them that this event was special - no transits or those other things that people dislike about rallies - just fun fast treacherous icy roads!
Jim Blumenfeld

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>flying finish of stage 1, ken was right behind paul. he must
>have been haulin to catch up with paul.

Paul went out on C5s, which were the wrong tire (was there a right tire?). Ken was on something with sipes...

Adrian

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
I was just reviewing the scores and figured out how Chris Duplessis/Ed McNelly managed their stellar 2nd OA finish; they didn't go off. OK, I'm certain that everyone went off at least a little bit (hell, I had a hard time not falling on the ice at the control) but they turned in top 5-ish times on each stage but if you look at the times of the other teams that would have expected to finish higher each has at least 1 "abnormal" time (like 2++ minutes above the norm) that would indicate an off.
Clearly power wasn't much help with limited traction. I wonder what they were running for tires.
Jim B

·
Registered
478 Posts
>Also: A big thank you to the stage workers! It was real cold,
>some times windy and not much sun. Not a great day to be
>standing outdoor all day. We appreciate your dedication.

Wasn't too bad....I just danced on my little hill for most of the afternoon. Haha. Kept me kinda warm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
not necessarily, we were in the evo 6 and in the morning we had no real offs only one spin. our times were very slow because we were on the completely wrong tires. there was no grip whatsoever during the first two stages we were caught by two cars. snow and ice is mostly about the tire choice.

·
Registered
478 Posts
>I did some climbing to keep warm:

>:p

You sly dog you...:*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts